Pre-Game Talk: The Toronto Maple Leafs vs San Jose Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Tire your goaltender after 3 games? Seriously! We have a baby team who are way too soft, but the question is why throw away points with a goalie who did not make the team, and has proven not to be capable.

hahahaha, is this a parody account?

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Why are people so down on Hutchinson? What am I missing here? Seems like a perfectly fine option for a backup start.

Last year he had a 2.42 GAA and a .919 save percentage in 8 games. He was actually better than our supposed #1.
I think there are a new batch of "fans" ready for the ignore button.
By the way with all the Norm McDonald youtube clips going up after his passing away, I hope you have watched the ones with Super Dave.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would have started Campbell tonight, but hopefully Hutch can carry over his play from last season and pick up the win.

The boys will likely need to score more than 2 goals to make it happen though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah sire, we was right, expected hutch gon hutch this game for us :clap: We MIGHT WIN BIGG TYME BABY! The shesharks will be playing tonight also, against the fool sens!! WOOP WOOP!!!!

You think Hutch is "Gon hutch ?"

I hope he's better than that because if You're right things could go very very bad very very quickly

Reactions: Coachcorner

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Playing the odds, you'd think you have better chance of , at least, splitting the two games if you play your better goalie tonight...and over 82 games I'm going to play the odds as much as possible.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Sharks currently running a train on Eastern Canada. Show no mercy

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Playing the odds, you'd think you have better chance of , at least, splitting the two games if you play your better goalie tonight...and over 82 games I'm going to play the odds as much as possible.

Team Line Combinations - Daily Faceoff

Look at this roster lol. Obviously any team can steal a game on any given night, but Sharks and Pens (in their current state) isn't worth bringing up a "who should start which game" debate. We have no idea how Campbell will look against a team like Vegas yet, but what we do know is Campbell eats teams like the Pens for breakfast.

The current setup has a 2-0 feel in my books.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
its an embarrassment this organization is still playing Hutchinson 3 years later. Guys disgraceful. Sad times in net for this franchise as per usual.
What's sad or embarrassing about it? Hutch is probably one of the best 3rd string goalies in the league

Reactions: leafsfan5

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
2nd night of a back to back, 3rd game in 4 nights hopefully the sharks come out a little sluggish and the Leafs can jump on them since they have had 3 days off

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’d rather have my starter in for the “4 point” game than the game against the out-of-conference opponent. This is where Babcock failed the team, many times.
Many coaches go with the stronger team one the first of a back to back. The thinking being you can't win both if you don't win the first one.
It's just a preference, nothing that should be classified as a failure, IMO.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I think this is a good decision to start Hutch. "Playing it safe" with the team we have to just try to get 2 points is a loser mentality. We are among the best teams in the league and we should be acting like it. Go for 4/4 points now.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Why are people so down on Hutchinson? What am I missing here? Seems like a perfectly fine option for a backup start.

Last year he had a 2.42 GAA and a .919 save percentage in 8 games. He was actually better than our supposed #1.
Doesn't the "small sample size" disclaimer apply here, rendering the results useless?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Sure but 8 games isn't just 1 game either. I think it shows he's a capable back up and not worth the huge amount of vitriol and negativity?
He doesn't seem very good when you look at a larger sample size, such as his tenure in Toronto. Although if you took his tenure with the Avs, he'd be the best goalie in the league.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He doesn't seem very good when you look at a larger sample size, such as his tenure in Toronto. Although if you took his tenure with the Avs, he'd be the best goalie in the league.

Im not sure what you expect from a 3rd stringer, but they are typically in the same quality.

You can make the argument that a 1 game sample is the same as 8, but it isn't and while small, it shows he's more than capable of having a good performance.

If you are clinging that 8 games isn't enough of a sample size as you're only argument that he sucks, in his last 29 games (since being acquired by the Leafs) he's sporting a .919 save percentage and a 2.43 GAA. If we remove the 1 game that he played for the Avs in the regular season, he's at .906%.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I understand the need to play Hutchinson in this scenario, but I'll never be confident with him in net no matter how few times he plays a season. The Leafs will have to get off the snide and score more than 2 goals if they want to have a chance to win. If they don't, it's lights out. Zero confidence in Hutchinson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad