OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 190: Terrorists, Wild Trout, Microbeers, and Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
My cousin got pickpocketed while we were in Philadelphia this past weekend. Her purse was on the back of her chair at Starbucks and he just reached in and grabbed it. We spent all of Monday canceling credit cards and talking to the cops.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
the USA has a 0.08 BAC level? or is that just NJ/NY?

It's actually 0.05 here, and in all honesty, anything higher really is asking for trouble. Although not knowing the drink/driving culture over there, it really is bad here and is needed, so I'm not sure how it will affect you lot.

BAC is state law.

But federal government sets the standard/recommends then coerces states by threatening federal highway funds.

Like in Montana when the speed limit on highways used to be "safe and reasonable - 65mph at night and inclement weather"....the Fed threatened to pull federal funding until Montana got inline with everyone else....Vermont and Colorado where the last two states to up their drinking age from 18 to 21 in the 1980's under the same pressure from the Feds.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My cousin got pickpocketed while we were in Philadelphia this past weekend. Her purse was on the back of her chair at Starbucks and he just reached in and grabbed it. We spent all of Monday canceling credit cards and talking to the cops.

That sucks....did you see this happen?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So over the last 24 days there have only been 3 where I haven't walked (or walked and jogged) at least 10 miles. Of those three days the least I did was 6 miles and the most was almost 15. Feeling pretty good about that.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Someone definitely got murdered around the corner from me in Rockaway today. 12 this afternoon I saw the cops and ambulance pull up to the house on my way to the gym before work. 13 hours later on my way home from work there are 6 county sheriff K-9 units, 4 detective cars and 2 vans either CSI or county morgue. The house is lit up and plenty of activity inside. Freakin insane man.

I have a friend who lives next door to the house and told me that the guy was drunk and smoking pot when the cops came and a woman (guessing his wife) died falling down the stairs. They also found a good amount a pot plants in his house. He's guessing he pushed her down the stairs. The guy apparently was the neighbor from hell form some of my friends horror stories.

Township or Boro?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So I invented a fly last night...I am kind of proud of this. I took two famous patterns from well know tyers and combined them into my own.

Here are the originals side by side.

combo_zpsa2312e56.jpg

And here is mine...

photobucket-6448-1368619673966_zps9d4e94ed.jpg

I think mine is prettier and all around better :)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Its supposed to represent a sulphur mayfly emerging from its nymphal stage. That is why it is half brown and half sulphur.

The real deal happening.

emerger_zpsb64e6d12.jpg

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
So I invented a fly last night...I am kind of proud of this. I took two famous patterns from well know tyers and combined them into my own.

Here are the originals side by side.

combo_zpsa2312e56.jpg

And here is mine...

photobucket-6448-1368619673966_zps9d4e94ed.jpg

I think mine is prettier and all around better :)

I have no idea if fish will like it, but it certainly looks you put more care into the tying then the other two. It's more complete looking.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have no idea if fish will like it, but it certainly looks you put more care into the tying then the other two. It's more complete looking.

Everyone falls a little differently on the function/art spectrum when it comes to tying. Some just want pretty, some just want function in a utilitarian way. I think both are equally as important.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's actually 0.05 here, and in all honesty, anything higher really is asking for trouble. Although not knowing the drink/driving culture over there, it really is bad here and is needed, so I'm not sure how it will affect you lot.

I disagree.

A BAL of 0.05 is going to be tough not to achieve for some people after just 2 small drinks/beers. It will definitely disproportionately hit women that's for sure.

EDIT: So I was curious. In the USA, the average male and female weight is 195 and 165* pounds respectively, according to Wikipedia, which as we all know is never incorrect.

If the average 195 pound male has just 2 pints in 1 hour at Happy Hour, he's at 0.04. If a 180 pound guy has those 2 pints, he's at 0.05 and "drunk", which is ridiculous.
If the average 165 pound female has 2 pints in TWO HOURS at Happy hour, she's at 0.05 already!

*Is that posibly correct? 165 pounds for the "average" women in America? I'm thinking this is too high.

BAC is state law.

But federal government sets the standard/recommends then coerces states by threatening federal highway funds.

They do the same thing with education etc..... you dont have to do this, but if you don't do exactly what we want you wont get this giant bag of money that we've taken from your taxpayers.

Last edited:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
The perception is quickly changing about drinking and driving in America, but compared to other countries? Most people don't take it as seriously as they should.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
How long does it take to tie those things Jim? Cause I dunno if I fish much but I could see myself enjoying making those.

I'm artsy that way

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How long does it take to tie those things Jim? Cause I dunno if I fish much but I could see myself enjoying making those.

I'm artsy that way

The first time I do fly it takes me about 15 minutes but after 4 or 5 of them, I usually can get it down to 5 or 6 minutes, maybe 7 or 8.

But some people actually tie as art...They might spend 20, 30 or 40 hours on 1 fly.

The person that tied this spent a lot of time for sure....

salmon-fly-art_zpsf94df7e9.jpg

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
I disagree.

A BAL of 0.05 is going to be tough not to achieve for some people after just 2 small drinks/beers. It will definitely disproportionately hit women that's for sure.

EDIT: So I was curious. In the USA, the average male and female weight is 195 and 165* pounds respectively, according to Wikipedia, which as we all know is never incorrect.

If the average 195 pound male has just 2 pints in 1 hour at Happy Hour, he's at 0.04. If a 180 pound guy has those 2 pints, he's at 0.05 and "drunk", which is ridiculous.
If the average 165 pound female has 2 pints in TWO HOURS at Happy hour, she's at 0.05 already!

*Is that posibly correct? 165 pounds for the "average" women in America? I'm thinking this is too high.

They do the same thing with education etc..... you dont have to do this, but if you don't do exactly what we want you wont get this giant bag of money that we've taken from your taxpayers.

Depends on how many beers the guy has had at said happy hour...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I was mugged in Philly about 15 years ago. South Street(though not in the cool spot) broad day light. Young big kid, had a gun, didn't pull it, but showed it. Lost about $80. Just cash though, no hassles of ID and credit cards.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The other category of tying is "realistics"

It is insane the work people put into these flies...They paint each individual part and hand make the body parts...It is crazy. These flies are never meant to fish with of course.

ant-1_zps3ba499f5.jpg

stonefly_nymph_front_zpsac7b8e22.jpg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I disagree.

I won't be drunk on 2 beers in an hour, but I might feel a buzz(depending on the beer). Thus I should not be driving.

It's a pretty easy formula really. Don't drink and drive.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Wow, reading up on this IRS thing this morning and new details released etc...., this is way worse than was initially reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad