OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 190: Terrorists, Wild Trout, Microbeers, and Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You dont understand how it works. Read up on "below the fold" journalism.

when i was majoring in journalism, i learned all about it...except we called it "above the fold" :laugh: stop straying from bill oreilly, stay in your comfort zone!

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I won't be drunk on 2 beers in an hour, but I might feel a buzz(depending on the beer). Thus I should not be driving.

It's a pretty easy formula really. Don't drink and drive.

The "pretty easy formula" is to know your own personal limits and be responsible enough to know what would make you impaired. I would not even "feel a buzz" on just 2 beers spread out over the course of 1 full hour. Hell, the average human naturally eliminates approximately 12oz of beer in an hour.

As with most things that start out with good intentions, the zealouts among us take it too far for personal or financial reasons. If this 0.05 passes, in 20 years they'll lower it to 0.03, because hey, as you said, "Dont drink and drive" right? This 0.05 BAC wont accomplish much of anything, nor will predictably going to 0.03 or 0.02 in 20 years, but at least the lobbyists and zealots will have something to do and keep their jobs into 2033.

when i was majoring in journalism, i learned all about it...except we called it "above the fold"

Then you should have learned that "above the fold" is what you want readers to focus on, while "below the fold" (i.e. what this conversation is about) is what you dont want readers to focus on.

I'm sure you drew a wonderful pirate picture though. :laugh:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Cool! Where you going?

Flying into Orlando on a Wednesday and then driving to Naples that day with the better half to check out our wedding spot for next year. Besides the 3.5 hr drive that won't take up much time so it's beach time for the rest of the trip. Haha It has been a long ass time since I was able to go on vaca and just RELAX. Usually I go back home to North Dakota and I'm constantly busy with friends and family so there's no down time. Going to find a hotel on the beach near Naples and lay on the beach for 5 days. Haha

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
This is pretty awesome, Dodgers pitcher playing catch with a kid in the bleachers during BP

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
2nd interview time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! huge huge

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
The other category of tying is "realistics"

It is insane the work people put into these flies...They paint each individual part and hand make the body parts...It is crazy. These flies are never meant to fish with of course.

ant-1_zps3ba499f5.jpg

stonefly_nymph_front_zpsac7b8e22.jpg

The first time I do fly it takes me about 15 minutes but after 4 or 5 of them, I usually can get it down to 5 or 6 minutes, maybe 7 or 8.

But some people actually tie as art...They might spend 20, 30 or 40 hours on 1 fly.

The person that tied this spent a lot of time for sure....

salmon-fly-art_zpsf94df7e9.jpg

That is the kind of crap I would do. Or at least attempt to do. Perhaps my outlook would be different once I started to fish more and realized the intricacies were unnecessary.

and I last time I watched the O'Reilly Factor I laughed my ass off. It reminded me of when you want to hear a bedtime story and someone read you a fairy tale.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Then you should have learned that "above the fold" is what you want readers to focus on, while "below the fold" (i.e. what this conversation is about) is what you dont want readers to focus on.

I'm sure you drew a wonderful pirate picture though. :laugh:

yes, above the fold is meant to entice readers. good job? wasnt the point that there was much more than DWI information (i'd love to get your views on how unimportant THAT is- probably ranks down there with hate crimes, right? :laugh:) on cnn's site. my point was, if people are too stupid to read a news story properly, i wouldnt blame the news. every news outlet in this country has its priorities completely backwards and spreads fear like no other, but if you cant navigate a site...

:help:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The "pretty easy formula" is to know your own personal limits and be responsible enough to know what would make you impaired. I would not even "feel a buzz" on just 2 beers spread out over the course of 1 full hour. Hell, the average human naturally eliminates approximately 12oz of beer in an hour.

As with most things that start out with good intentions, the zealouts among us take it too far for personal or financial reasons. If this 0.05 passes, in 20 years they'll lower it to 0.03, because hey, as you said, "Dont drink and drive" right? This 0.05 BAC wont accomplish much of anything, nor will predictably going to 0.03 or 0.02 in 20 years, but at least the lobbyists and zealots will have something to do and keep their jobs into 2033.

Know your own personal limits? Man that is what leads to so many drunk driving deaths each year. "Hey man I'm fine".

Do people need to drink that badly that they can't not drink even though they will soon be driving?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Know your own personal limits? Man that is what leads to so many drunk driving deaths each year. "Hey man I'm fine".

Do people need to drink that badly that they can't not drink even though they will soon be driving?

dont kid yourself. if that headline was on foxnews.com he'd be debating the other way. not worth the trouble :laugh:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
When players toss balls and pucks to young players, the value of such is so immense it is incredible. That is going to get the kids a moment that they are never going to forget, assuming it wasn't a crappy puck to the face moment, and probably take their kids and family back once they get to that age.

No wonder they encourage baseball teams to go through all 300 baseballs they have a game.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

No it isnt. Not knowing "your own personal limits", or more likely, not giving a **** is "what leads to so many drunk driving deaths each year".

I'm not talking about having 6 or 7 beers and getting behind a wheel, I'm talking about having 1 or 2 beers in an hour or two and getting behind a wheel ( i.e. 0.05).

The low level that a BAL of 0.05 represents is ridiculously small to call it "drunk" driving. There's a reason why it was set at 1.0 to begin with, and a good reason why it could be argued 0.08 was set (i.e. there is a level of reaction loss).

But I doubt very many people would be impaired in the slightest bit at 0.05, and if you're going to arrest people , and have them pay thousands of dollars, and ruin their reputation for a "DWI" at 0.05, you should arrest people for texting while driving. Texting while driving is a helluva lot more dangerous in terms of "impairment" than a low 0.05 BAL is. But I guess that wont happen until you have enough paid TWD (texting while driving) groups and lobbyists employed in DC raising money.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Its supposed to represent a sulphur mayfly emerging from its nymphal stage. That is why it is half brown and half sulphur.

The real deal happening.

emerger_zpsb64e6d12.jpg

These pictures make me miss my grandparents lake cabinin Minnesota so much. Used to sit on the dock until all hours of the night fishing with my dad. So incredibly peaceful...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No it isnt. Not knowing "your own personal limits", or more likely, not giving a **** is "what leads to so many drunk driving deaths each year".

I'm not talking about having 6 or 7 beers and getting behind a wheel, I'm talking about having 1 or 2 beers in an hour or two and getting behind a wheel ( i.e. 0.05).

The low level that a BAL of 0.05 represents is ridiculously small to call it "drunk" driving. There's a reason why it was set at 1.0 to begin with, and a good reason why it could be argued 0.08 was set (i.e. there is a level of reaction loss).

But I doubt very many people would be impaired in the slightest bit at 0.05, and if you're going to arrest people , and have them pay thousands of dollars, and ruin their reputation for a "DWI" at 0.05, you should arrest people for texting while driving. Texting while driving is a helluva lot more dangerous in terms of "impairment" than a low 0.05 BAL is. But I guess that wont happen until you have enough paid TWD (texting while driving) groups and lobbyists employed in DC raising money.

totally agree here. Seeing people going down the parkway at 70 mph while looking at their phone...........

In terms of when the effects of drinking start to impair driving? better safe then sorry imo. If your going to drive, just don't drink. Pretty easy answer.

Status Quo*

When players toss balls and pucks to young players, the value of such is so immense it is incredible. That is going to get the kids a moment that they are never going to forget, assuming it wasn't a crappy puck to the face moment, and probably take their kids and family back once they get to that age.

No wonder they encourage baseball teams to go through all 300 baseballs they have a game.

I went out to Citi Field last week to see my White Sox against the Mets. Towards the end of the game I moved down to two rows behind the Sox dugout. A foul ball went over to the dugout and the Sox bat boy threw it to me because I was wearing Sox gear. I immediately took the ball and gave it to a young kid around 7 that was nearby. The look on the kids face when he got the ball was awesome. I remember being his age and getting a ball at a game. I hope this kid when he gets older does the same thing as I did. It's awesome seeing a kids face light up when getting a ball or puck at a game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
These pictures make me miss my grandparents lake cabinin Minnesota so much. Used to sit on the dock until all hours of the night fishing with my dad. So incredibly peaceful...

I have a couple of friends that live in Grand Rapids area and another in Westby Wisconsin. I used to go up there quite a bit ...I haven't been there to visit in about 5 years though.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
I have a couple of friends that live in Grand Rapids area and another in Westby Wisconsin. I used to go up there quite a bit ...I haven't been there to visit in about 5 years though.

Definitely nice areas. When I go back in August I'm going to try get to my friends lake cabin in Minny for a few days. Fishing/jet ski/grilling out. Great time...

Maple lake is where my Gparents cabin was.

Right around this area
IS-gh09mgik65i5.jpg

The good life..

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Definitely nice areas. When I go back in August I'm going to try get to my friends lake cabin in Minny for a few days. Fishing/jet ski/grilling out. Great time...

Maple lake is where my Gparents cabin was.

Right around this area
IS-gh09mgik65i5.jpg

The good life..

That is awesome! And that is the good life without a doubt...To have gotten to share that with family is even better.

If I lived there I would make getting a cabin my #1 priority. That time will always be the fondest when you look back.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
First day of work in the books. Happy hour is also in the books.

Next time anyone is in Times Square, I strongly recommend eating at The Counter. Draft beer and a double shot of jack for $9. Custom burger of your choice. Heaven.

Oh and they have milkshakes with liquor.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey New York Shove those smoking commercials up your ass.

Haha I don't smoke, but those commercials do annoy me. I've asked people I know who smoke if that's really gonna make them quit smoking.:laugh:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
That sucks....did you see this happen?

No. But we knew it was him because he was the only one it could have been. Sketchy looking guy came up and asked us for directions. He had a backpack and blocked my view of the purse by dangling it off on shoulder over it.

Next time anyone is in Times Square, I strongly recommend eating at The Counter. Draft beer and a double shot of jack for $9. Custom burger of your choice. Heaven.

We have one here. They have an excellent veggie burger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad