OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVII: The sNOwstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
who the **** throws someone's plastic container full of pasta in the ****ing garbage out of the fridge?

**** who the **** has office etiquette anymore?

They do a periodic cleaning at my place... they usually put a sign with a date on the refrigerator saying if it's not out by s certain time it'll be thrown out.

How long was it there?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
who the **** throws someone's plastic container full of pasta in the ****ing garbage out of the fridge?

**** who the **** has office etiquette anymore?

4M6x.gif

How long was it there?

yes, this is critical. longer than a week and you’re asking for trouble

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
They do a periodic cleaning at my place... they usually put a sign with a date on the refrigerator saying if it's not out by s certain time it'll be thrown out.

How long was it there?

4M6x.gif

yes, this is critical. longer than a week and you’re asking for trouble

yeah we get warned of fridge clean-outs too, but i put it in there this morning.

turned out it was my boss who thought it was an old dish he left in there a month ago because it was the exact same container and he normally uses a different fridge on our floor. he was super apologetic. :laugh:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
yeah we get warned of fridge clean-outs too, but i put it in there this morning.

turned out it was my boss who thought it was an old dish he left in there a month ago because it was the exact same container and he normally uses a different fridge on our floor. he was super apologetic. :laugh:

Make him buy you lunch, dammit!

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Not allowed to give a kid a failing score? Sorry, but I'm going to need a link to that.

Also, NJ ranks 3rd in the nation for residents with a BA or higher. So yeah, you people are doing something right unless Rutgers, Rowan, Montclair, Princeton, Kean, Stevens, and Seton Hall have started giving out participation awards I'm unaware of.
maybe he meant HS and lower

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
maybe he meant HS and lower
I'm sure that's what he meant. But it stands to reason that if the institutions of higher learning are churning out grads at an exceptional rate than the grade and high schools must be doing something right.

NJ also consistently ranks in the top 2 or 3 in the nation for public education and graduation rates.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I'm sure that's what he meant. But it stands to reason that if the institutions of higher learning are churning out grads at an exceptional rate than the grade and high schools must be doing something right.

NJ also consistently ranks in the top 2 or 3 in the nation for public education and graduation rates.

They've mastered the art of social promotion.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Do you have any evidence of that you'd care to share with the class?

Because NJ public schools have been excelling for as long as I can remember.

OK smartass, you asked. I live with a teacher. I hear the stories just about every week about the dead wood that still exists in the classroom and administration. I also have a kid with Aspergers Syndrome and know first hand how those kids are dealt with. Rubber stamped all the way through school from 2nd grade on. It looks REALLY GOOD for the administration to advance these kids, to show their expertise. VERY. SIMPLE.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I just don’t understand why if it’s so easy for school districts to make themselves look good without anyone asking questions, then why hasn’t the half of the country with genuinely shitty public education followed suit?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I just don’t understand why if it’s so easy for school districts to make themselves look good without anyone asking questions, then why hasn’t the half of the country with genuinely ****ty public education followed suit?
because blue collar workers and votech are perfectly good paths to go down, post grad

the idea of schools wanting to tweak the grades to look better makes perfect sense. doing some digging, there's something called ESSA (every student succeeds act), which followed the No Child Left Behind act

see page 2 here: https://www.nj.gov/education/ESSA/plan/NJstateplan1pg.pdf

if i'm a principal or superintendent, i don't want my school being audited

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
OK smartass, you asked. I live with a teacher. I hear the stories just about every week about the dead wood that still exists in the classroom and administration. I also have a kid with Aspergers Syndrome and know first hand how those kids are dealt with. Rubber stamped all the way through school from 2nd grade on. It looks REALLY GOOD for the administration to advance these kids, to show their expertise. VERY. SIMPLE.
My man, I could fill this post with anecdotal stories of myself as well as my past and current ties to school boards in my hometown, the surrounding communities, and a few other cities in NJ.

But that's not empiracle evidence or a discussion I'm interested in having.

Cracks are going to exist. Unfortunate circumstances as well. But to write off the entire system which has been so successful for a multitude of years while making claims of which I have no evidence and you either don't have or are not willing to provide?

Sorry, but I'm not about that life.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
WTF....
I was just tracking a UPS package... There's an Ontario CA???? As in CALIFORNIA, not Canada???

Did no-one foresee a problem with this?

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
WTF....
I was just tracking a UPS package... There's an Ontario CA???? As in CALIFORNIA, not Canada???

One of the largest cities in Washington state is named Vancouver. Seattle has cities named Vancouver three hours to the north and south.

Everyone here knows New Brunswick, New Jersey, but there is also a tiny village in Canada named New Jersey, New Brunswick.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
WTF....

And they seriously need to do something about Miami, Ohio. Only Florida gets a Miami. Ohio can change its Miami to Ogdenville or North Haverbrook and just be done with it

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Not allowed to give a kid a failing score? Sorry, but I'm going to need a link to that.

Link? Reread my post, it's personal experience. My wife has been a NJ teacher for 15 years, this policy was instated about 5 or 6 years ago, and apparently, it's not a rare thing.

The stated reason it's done is so the student actually "learns & improves", but I'm pretty sure those of us who weren't born yesterday realize that's a total BS answer, the real reason it's done is to artificially bump the school up the data rankings and make the school (and thus the Supe) look as solid as possible.

I can never figure our how accurate those lists are, even when I try to look at how they arrive at the data. The Census lists shows NJ is below average in high school graduation, but near the top in terms of college degrees. Go figure. Quite frankly, the former doesn't truly distress me, and the latter doesn't truly impress me.

List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And they seriously need to do something about Miami, Ohio. Only Florida gets a Miami. Ohio can change its Miami to Ogdenville or North Haverbrook and just be done with it

Which is why Miami University often annoyingly refers to itself as Miami OF Ohio.

We have Miami University & University of Miami.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
One of the largest cities in Washington state is named Vancouver. Seattle has cities named Vancouver three hours to the north and south.

... I actually live a few miles north of the southernmost Vancouver now. Adding to the confusion, Vancouver WA is 5 miles north of Portland OR, so that's the nearest airport. Adding to the confusion is that it is on a grid system, so 10000 NW 100th st is a bazillion miles from 10000 SE 100th st, and don't confuse it with 100th Ave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad