OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVII: The sNOwstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Link? Reread my post, it's personal experience. My wife has been a NJ teacher for 15 years, this policy was instated about 5 or 6 years ago, and apparently, it's not a rare thing.

The stated reason it's done is so the student actually "learns & improves", but I'm pretty sure those of us who weren't born yesterday realize that's a total BS answer, the real reason it's done is to artificially bump the school up the data rankings and make the school (and thus the Supe) look as solid as possible.

What grade / age does your wife teach?

If it's like elementary school, then I'd kinda agree with that reasoning. No reason to tell a 7 year old kid he sucks at something important, better to encourage him to try harder.

If it's like high school, then that is just absurd.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What grade / age does your wife teach?

If it's like elementary school, then I'd kinda agree with that reasoning. No reason to tell a 7 year old kid he sucks at something important, better to encourage him to try harder.

If it's like high school, then that is just absurd.

Second grade, and I disagree. But the entire world has gone completely soft so I guess I'm now probably solidly in the minority.

Either way, sorry, NOT buying that it's, "for the children".

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Second grade, and I disagree. But the entire world has gone completely soft so I guess I'm now probably solidly in the minority.

Either way, sorry, NOT buying that it's, "for the children".

Oh. Yeah when I was in elementary school (25ish years ago, damn) we didn't do the whole A-F thing either. It was like Check-Plus, Check, Check-Minus, etc. Public school in Ocean County, too.

I ended up straight-As all through middle school and high school, GPA over 100, third in my class of 400+, etc. The kids that want it are going to do well regardless. Hang your hat on that! :)

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I just saw a local commercial for Sussex Honda, it's for a Saint Patrick's Day sale, so it wont be on much longer, but the guy doing the voiceover has the worst fake Irish accent I've ever heard in my life. Bonus points for the graphic calling it "St. Paddy's Day", which Irish people hate. lol

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I just saw a local commercial for Sussex Honda, it's for a Saint Patrick's Day sale, so it wont be on much longer, but the guy doing the voiceover has the worst fake Irish accent I've ever heard in my life. Bonus points for the graphic calling it "St. Paddy's Day", which Irish people hate. lol

well f*** them….

….ill call it what i wish, wanna start a fight?!

oh wait…..they probably do want to start one

:naughty:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Link? Reread my post, it's personal experience. My wife has been a NJ teacher for 15 years, this policy was instated about 5 or 6 years ago, and apparently, it's not a rare thing.

The stated reason it's done is so the student actually "learns & improves", but I'm pretty sure those of us who weren't born yesterday realize that's a total BS answer, the real reason it's done is to artificially bump the school up the data rankings and make the school (and thus the Supe) look as solid as possible.

I can never figure our how accurate those lists are, even when I try to look at how they arrive at the data. The Census lists shows NJ is below average in high school graduation, but near the top in terms of college degrees. Go figure. Quite frankly, the former doesn't truly distress me, and the latter doesn't truly impress me.

List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia
Yes, a link.

I chose not to post this earlier because I believe anecdotal evidence to be just that, but my mother is a teacher, my grandmother has worked for the school board for 30+ years, I have a few special needs kids in my family, and I'm more involved in my nieces education than what you would expect from an uncle.

And my experience is quite different from what yours and Patrik's apparently is.

Hence the request.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The hell is United van lines and why are they being used as a source for anything other than transmission replacement?

NY at #4, lulz. The equivalent of the the entire city of San Francisco moves to NYC every ~5 years.

Regardless, the vast majority of people leaving both states are retirees so it's inconsequential to the overall health of the state.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
... I actually live a few miles north of the southernmost Vancouver now. Adding to the confusion, Vancouver WA is 5 miles north of Portland OR, so that's the nearest airport. Adding to the confusion is that it is on a grid system, so 10000 NW 100th st is a bazillion miles from 10000 SE 100th st, and don't confuse it with 100th Ave.
Sounds like Queens.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My old college roommate has been up in Seattle for a decade, but he recently took a job where he's working in Vancouver four days a week and then spends his weekend in Seattle. His work pays for his apartment in Vancouver. When he mentioned that, I asked (because I have no shame) "So, you're saying you have an apartment that you don't use on weekends?"

(moved here from draft thread)

If it's a good friend, I'd be all over that as well.

A couple years ago me and my GF were looking to buy some old beat up houses that were still hanging around after Sandy. This being in a town that my GF was super hot to move in to. We were really tight on the asking price and another $10K would have gotten it done. She has a couple wealthy friends, one being uber rich, but she would just not ask her for a loan.

If it were me, I'd just ask for a loan and then go find something to do with it, let alone if I had something specific that I really wanted. I guess it's pride that got in her way, but personally I'd have no issues.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yes, a link.

Hence the request.

Well it's a dumb request given I'm literally telling you it's personal experience and not a magazine article.

That said, if you seriously have never heard of this before, you don't know nearly as much about education as you think you do (i.e. search for a "link" yourself, and you'll find plenty of examples) regardless of how involved you are in 1 person's schooling.

PRO TIP: Try using "No-Zero" and "No-F"and "Repeat-F" for your Google searches.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Today's cover of the New York Post

D2MM7Y_UwAEeX1H.jpg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Was talking to my sister in law the other day and she was trying to tell me about how hard it is getting to live in NJ because of the expense.

Now given that we share a 2 family home I know her monthly payment for the roof over her head is $500. This includes TV, internet, water and Sewer, and yes property taxes.

I also know that she went from unemployed, to part time, to a pretty good job with health insurance over the last 10 year. My brother has also seen his job situation improve dramatically over this time span, and they are on their way to buying a house of their own.

So this idea that "we won't be able to afford to live in NJ" was something she picked up off of social media.

Granted she did get a new car a couple years back, has bought a ton of new furniture for her home and the yard, and they have 3 up to date cell phones in their household.

And yeah we are talking suburb's of NJ and not NYC, but grain of salt.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Today's cover of the New York Post

D2MM7Y_UwAEeX1H.jpg
60k people per year move in to the city, there is a housing shortage, and the population is on pace to hit 9 million residents by 2025.

Perhaps if the NY Post is where you get your info from I shouldn't bother asking for sources any longer.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
60k people per year move in to the city, there is a housing shortage, and the population is on pace to hit 9 million residents by 2025.

Perhaps if the NY Post is where you get your info from I shouldn't bother asking for sources any longer.
A completely misleading headline.

But there is truth to the fact that NYC is incredibly expensive. That was once mostly true of Manhattan but we have now seen that spread to the outer boroughs. The rich can afford it, and the lower income brackets are eligible for low income housing. The middle class is indeed squeezed.

But this is much different then the idea of the mass exodus from NYC.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
A completely misleading headline.

But there is truth to the fact that NYC is incredibly expensive. That was once mostly true of Manhattan but we have now seen that spread to the outer boroughs. The rich can afford it, and the lower income brackets are eligible for low income housing. The middle class is indeed squeezed.

But this is much different then the idea of the mass exodus from NYC.
Housing is unquestionably too expensive, but people make it work.

I'm in the market for a home right now and am considering Newark because it seems like that's the last truly urban spot in the area where deals can be found.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It's expensive to live in NYC but, for me at least, it's not much cheaper to move to the 'burbs and commute everyday for work and school.

I looked into it, and between increased gas and monthly commuter rail tickets (Even work subsidized), I'd save maybe like $100 a month. And, tbh, I'd rather save myself an extra two hours of commuting every day.

Rent is a bit cheaper, but not dramatically so.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
how does low income housing work? there are beautiful apartments in NJ where the rent- all included- is like $500. i’m thinking about quitting my job and working some $15-$20/hour job- i want to make the most i can while still qualifying for one of these places

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Oh. Yeah when I was in elementary school (25ish years ago, damn) we didn't do the whole A-F thing either. It was like Check-Plus, Check, Check-Minus, etc. Public school in Ocean County, too.

I ended up straight-As all through middle school and high school, GPA over 100, third in my class of 400+, etc. The kids that want it are going to do well regardless. Hang your hat on that! :)

In today's world, those grades and a perfect ACT or National Merit finalist status will get you to a decent state university and decent second tier private school but unless you have a serious hook, you likely don't sniff Ivies or top tier non-Ivies if my kids' experiences are any guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad