The Ted Nolan thread

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
That`s like saying someone took a job at MacDonalds so they could be viewed as a candidate for an executive position at KPMG.

Your statement is more likely to be a projection of your all-things-Latvia bias than actual truth.

outch! the NA view is pretty arrogant at times. Latvian NT coach isnt' nearly comparable to your McD quote. Sure, it's not coaching one of the big 6 NTs, still. Always have to shake my head when I see how ppl in Na see the NHL as the only place where hockey is played.

Nolan was doing good with Latvia and it's a good one for Buffalo in the long run I think.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I'd swear I heard/read in all the interviews today, that Nolan is going to play John Scott and is also interested in having Kaleta come back up from Roch.

Is this true?

If so, is that a mistake at this point considering the teams rep at the moment?

Yesterday on WGR-550, Paul Hamilton mentioned that he personally spoke with Nolan and asked him about John Scott playing Friday.

Hamilton said Nolan definitely indicated Scott would be playing.

Maybe this is what you were thinking of hearing?

As an aside, Hamilton went on to say that this will likely lead to a "staged" fight and Hamilton can do without those.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
outch! the NA view is pretty arrogant at times. Latvian NT coach isnt' nearly comparable to your McD quote. Sure, it's not coaching one of the big 6 NTs, still. Always have to shake my head when I see how ppl in Na see the NHL as the only place where hockey is played.

Nolan was doing good with Latvia and it's a good one for Buffalo in the long run I think.
In terms of skill, I'd say the Latvian national team are on par with the Buffalo Sabres v2013/2014. In fact, I'm sure we'd beat the Sabres on big ice in a best-of-7 series. So the comparison is ridiculous.

People in NA don't realize that there's an overlap between NHL and several European leagues in terms of talent. The worst NHL players wouldn't make the best European teams and the best Europe-based players could easily play in the NHL. There's a number of players in the KHL (not just Russians) who aren't playing in the NHL purely because they're getting a bigger check in KHL. Players who enjoy playing leading roles instead of being 3rd liners in the NHL, etc.

And Proust should be paying more attention, Ted Nolan himself said that he wouldn't have landed a job in NHL if he hadn't worked with the Latvian national team. You probably don't realize that he pretty much had ended his coaching carreer when the Latvians invited him over.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Yesterday on WGR-550, Paul Hamilton mentioned that he personally spoke with Nolan and asked him about John Scott playing Friday.

As an aside, Hamilton went on to say that this will likely lead to a "staged" fight and Hamilton can do without those.

I just heard Pat Lalala on WGR and he said the team has no need for Kaleta's kind of play. The implication being that Kaleta will really need to change his game if he is to return.

If you reconcile that with Kaleta saying recently that he hasn't (and won't) be changing his game all that much, it gives some insight into the likelihood of ever seeing him again in a Sabres uni.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just heard Pat Lalala on WGR and he said the team has no need for Kaleta's kind of play. The implication being that Kaleta will really need to change his game if he is to return.

If you reconcile that with Kaleta saying recently that he hasn't (and won't) be changing his game all that much, it gives some insight into the likelihood of ever seeing him again in a Sabres uni.

Kaleta said that he knows that he needs to know when not to hit guys.

When he talked about not changing, it was about playing physical legally, hustling, working hard, PKing, etc. All those things that do bring value to the team.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

Nolan said as much in his presser after practice. He may not have realized the severity of such a declaration but he made it.

Said he's looking forward to Scott playing.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I just simply love the guy. Get him players and he will win IMO. Never thought he was an option to come back.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Really interesting Youtube clip of Nolan's recent in game coaching. Latvian team. Seems much more involved than Rolston was (a pet peeve of mine is lack of good communication in game). Also liked the focus on keeping it simple, attacking the net, getting lots of shots (interesting reference to Kessel), and playing physical / not being afraid of contact.

16 years since I saw him coaching so it was interesting to get a sample of his current coaching style

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
@BuffaloSabres said:
"A lot of energy," Ott says of first full practice under Nolan. "Tempo was great."
@BuffaloSabres said:
"That's one of the best practices we've had." -Zemgus Girgensons, cites energy and hard work #Sabres
@BuffaloSabres said:
Nolan on today's practice: "It went OK. We have a lot of work to do." #Sabres

And so it begins :laugh:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Jean Knox: Seymour Would Have Been Pleased With Nolan's Return

TBN: Nolan offers players clean slate but gives lukewarm appraisal of practice, team's conditioning

Ted Nolan took over yesterday, hustled off the dais into some sweats and hit the ice to basically watch the Buffalo Sabres practices. Assistants, notably Joe Sacco, ran a bunch of drills.

Nolan really took over today.

His whistle was going nonstop and his voice echoed through First Niagara Center. There was tempo, chatter, sticks banging on the ice. It wasn't what anyone has seen around here when Ron Rolston was in charge. But don't think Nolan was satisfied because he wasn't.

"It went OK,' Nolan said. "We've got a lot of work to do. The biggest thing is to get these guys to feel good about themselves. If you feel good about yourself, you'll get better."

Last edited:

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Really interesting Youtube clip of Nolan's recent in game coaching. Latvian team. Seems much more involved than Rolston was (a pet peeve of mine is lack of good communication in game). Also liked the focus on keeping it simple, attacking the net, getting lots of shots (interesting reference to Kessel), and playing physical / not being afraid of contact.

16 years since I saw him coaching so it was interesting to get a sample of his current coaching style

And you know that how?!?!

Rolston was actually a good communicator individually on the bench. He wouldn't scream but explain to the players when they were on the bench what needed to be done.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Im glad he is back behind a bench. It was sad to see such a good coach completely black listed. Especially when they are an under represented minority. (The last hs team I coached the native American kids were the best players so there's a lot who can play.)

Good job Pegula.

Doubt a new GM will fire him. Nolans an ideal coach to scrape an 8 seed out of a young team that is rebuilding and isn't very good.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
Im glad he is back behind a bench. It was sad to see such a good coach completely black listed. Especially when they are an under represented minority. (The last hs team I coached the native American kids were the best players so there's a lot who can play.)

Good job Pegula.

Doubt a new GM will fire him. Nolans an ideal coach to scrape an 8 seed out of a young team that is rebuilding and isn't very good.

This would not be what I want that's for sure, not this year at least.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Holy ****, Teddy is back.

Ambivalent about this move, kind of like watching Lucic drive off a cliff in my new Bentley coupe.

In any case, good luck coach. You'll need it!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Good job Pegula.

Ted has already indicated that he intends on enjoying the moment and that this is interim. "Fire" him isn't really what will happen. He has acknowledged this is temporary.

And I don't think he or LaFontaine are expecting to eek out wins enough to sneak into anything. When the owner, the president (Black) and head of hockey ops (LaFontaine) all talk about being at the top of the draft to garner the talent for the foundation of a long-term contender... the drive isn't to get into the playoffs this year (and probably not next year either). It's to get the players they are going to keep motivated to work hard regardless of circumstances and rebuild morale.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm pretty happy with the Nolan addition. Mostly for the fact he'll instill a good work ethic in our rookies, and make them take full responsibility for their playing time. I think he'll toughen them up, too, and have them fighting for one another.

Le Messie

Jul 8, 2009
He did miracles with the Islanders who had a mediocre team.
Satan, Kozlov, Yashin, Comrie ... it doesn't get any lazier than that.
I'm glad he's back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad