The Ted Nolan thread

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
41-16-20-5 0.451
and
18-7-10-1 0.416 in official games with the Latvian national team.

Not sure how does that help you though, as you don't have any perspective on our previous record or on how good our team is relative to other national teams. :D

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
It’s been a long time since I saw Ted Nolan behind the Sabre bench… One memory I’ll never forget took place in Montreal when coach Nolan was chewing at the Habs.. Lyle Odelein (Habs player at the time) got so mad at Ted he shot the puck at him just missing his head….

I had the opportunity to speak with Lyle about that back in 2001 and he told me he did it because Nolan ticked him off but everyone likes Teddy… there were no hard feelings just the heat of battle… :)

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
It's a chance to get back into the NHL with a town he is familiar with.

He took his shot.

This is my take on it as well.

And for the record, as much as I like Teddy....he can't and shouldn't remain as head coach beyond the new GM hiring.

The head coach will be brought in by the new GM.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
@SabresProspects: Hardest Working Team in Hockey. "If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up". First two games for Nolan? Toronto back-to-back. #Sabres

Should be fun this weekend.

You got that right!

:5:

I can't wait.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
It’s been a long time since I saw Ted Nolan behind the Sabre bench… One memory I’ll never forget took place in Montreal when coach Nolan was chewing at the Habs.. Lyle Odelein (Habs player at the time) got so mad at Ted he shot the puck at him just missing his head….

I had the opportunity to speak with Lyle about that back in 2001 and he told me he did it because Nolan ticked him off but everyone likes Teddy… there were no hard feelings just the heat of battle… :)

Thanks for reminding me of this incident!

I remember that well.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Nolan would need team to play .661 hockey to make playoffs, 108-point pace, based on 91-point finish.Good luck with that. If he ever did it, I think he'd be coach of the year.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nolan would need team to play .661 hockey to make playoffs, 108-point pace, based on 91-point finish.Good luck with that. If he ever did it, I think he'd be coach of the year.

It could be done but not likely... the CBJ went 19-5-2 at the end of last season barely missing the playoffs because of a tie breaker..

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I posted something similar on the main board, but here is my take.

I have a good feeling the interim title will be removed when the new GM is hired. The speculation on potential GMs leads me to believe this ie: Neil Smith and Rick Dudley. Smith for obvious reasons and Dudley is just a gut feeling I have that he is a Ted Nolan type of guy.

I'm also not naive and believe Patty really feels Ted is the right man for the job. I think he had to put interim tag on him to appease Mr. Pegula and for the potential GM interviews. The organization will not want it to look like they forced Nolan on the new GM, but I don't think they would hire someone who doesn't want him as coach.

I might be totally off base, but my two cents worth. (and wishful thinking) :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
PC7_slide.jpg

PC8_slide.jpg

PC9_slide.jpg

I'd love to know what they were thinking when Pat announced the coaching change.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I think I'm more interested in what Nolan can get out of guys like Stafford and Myers more than I am the young guys. It'll be interesting to see if he can get them to buy into his philosophy, Stafford particularly.

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I think I'm more interested in what Nolan can get out of guys like Stafford and Myers more than I am the young guys. It'll be interesting to see if he can get them to buy into his philosophy, Stafford particularly.

If his past in Buffalo is any indication, they will buy in or be in the press box. On top of that, Nolan usually has a group of hard core minions who will likely enforce peer pressure.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
WOW, who saw this bomb coming? I fully get this, and I am not sure exactly what to think of all of this. Hopefully they will show harder work.

I hope Ted Nolan is willing to play Grigs in offensive roles.

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
any of the folks that were around and able to watch back when Ted was a coach here?

I mean i was a fan and watching lots of games, but not sure how much "analysis" i was able to do back then.

Ideas on how the game and players have changed since his last stint and what he might have to do differently?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I am thinking Johan Larsson is loving this hire. I think Ted is going to love him and develop him nicely. Larsson busts his tail every shift.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
"@JayMcKee74

What to expect with Ted Nolan running the ship. If you work real hard, you'll love him.

If you don't work hard - you will be very soon!"

Well then... :laugh:

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
"@JayMcKee74

What to expect with Ted Nolan running the ship. If you work real hard, you'll love him.

If you don't work hard - you will be very soon!"

Well then... :laugh:

Earlier on WGR-550 Brad May declared Nolan his favorite coach in his entire hockey career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad