The Ted Nolan thread

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What I'm finding mildly entertaining is how Ted is defying the expectations of a lot of his vocal supporters.

Ted-ohalics were saying he would want his guys to raise Kane. Yet, he told John Scott to do away with "scripted fights" off of face offs.

Some fans expected him to come in and kick everyone in the rear. And now he's talking about learning who can can kick in the butt and who he can't.

Who are these Ted-ohalics that are being surprised by what Nolan has done? Because there is little he has done that should be surprising.

He's a players coach not an ass kicker that pounds everyone into submission. As such he has always handled players as individuals. But the one constant is the expectation of hard work from the players. He may handle them differently in terms of how he gets them there, but ultimately that's what's expected of the players. If isn't there then the player won't be here for long.

I think the John Scott thing is getting a tad overblown. He told him to focus on hockey and the fights will come. As in don't go looking for staged fights that serve no purpose because that's what you think you need to do to play in the NHL. But when the time comes handle things. Nolan followed his comments up with if you can't play hockey then you don't belong in this league but feels Scott belongs. If you've noticed Scott has responded to Nolan's advice and has played very well.

But a Nolan team will still respond to things they feel needs responding to. Like Ott going right after Clarkson for the hit on McBain.

But one thing is for sure, he's a massive upgrade over RonRol

That we 100% agree on :laugh:

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
You do recall that Dom had right of refusal on his destination -- one of St Louis or Detroit -- and he chose what he viewed to be the lesser package so that it didn't hurt the acquiring team as much, right? Dom threatened to retire if he didn't get traded and retire if the team getting him had to give up too much. He screwed the team on the way out of town, after the team had ridden him for years and never put together a quality roster to get the best out of having his all-world talents in net.

In a free market, with multiple bids, it seems like a slam dunk that they'd have had a helluva lot bigger return than the scraps they got from the Wings for him three years later.

Thank you Chain.

I know you aren't saying this, but my opinion is they should have traded Dom and kept Noaln. The ****** just quit on his team in the playoffs, for gods sake. I feel like Walter in the Big Lebowski when Smoky goes over the line, am I the only one that cares???

Dom screwing the team on his way out isn't surprising, if people would have cared that he screwed the team while he played here.

Best goalie I have ever had the privilege to watch, but he disgusts me. A piece of garbage teammate that should have been gone the minute he pulled that crap in Ottawa.

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Who are these Ted-ohalics that are being surprised by what Nolan has done? Because there is little he has done that should be surprising.

He's a players coach not an ass kicker that pounds everyone into submission. As such he has always handled players as individuals. But the one constant is the expectation of hard work from the players. He may handle them differently in terms of how he gets them there, but ultimately that's what's expected of the players. If isn't there then the player won't be here for long.

I think the John Scott thing is getting a tad overblown. He told him to focus on hockey and the fights will come. As in don't go looking for staged fights that serve no purpose because that's what you think you need to do to play in the NHL. But when the time comes handle things. Nolan followed his comments up with if you can't play hockey then you don't belong in this league but feels Scott belongs. If you've noticed Scott has responded to Nolan's advice and has played very well.

But a Nolan team will still respond to things they feel needs responding to. Like Ott going right after Clarkson for the hit on McBain.

That we 100% agree on :laugh:

Great post!!

Far more articulate than myself, thank you for putting it how I couldn't.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Thank you Chain.

I know you aren't saying this, but my opinion is they should have traded Dom and kept Noaln. The ****** just quit on his team in the playoffs, for gods sake. I feel like Walter in the Big Lebowski when Smoky goes over the line, am I the only one that cares???

Dom screwing the team on his way out isn't surprising, if people would have cared that he screwed the team while he played here.

Best goalie I have ever had the privilege to watch, but he disgusts me. A piece of garbage teammate that should have been gone the minute he pulled that crap in Ottawa.

Well, you're not afraid to stand up for a minority opinion - that's for sure. You advocate trading one of the best hockey players that ever played in the NHL for an unknown return package. Hasek came ridiculously close to carrying this team to the Cup on his back and was one of the most entertaining players to watch. I have a hard time believing he could have been traded for anything close to value he brought to the team.

What's the biggest return a goalie's ever been traded for anyway? The only comparable player I can think of being traded was Patrick Roy, which was one of the worst trades ever.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I guess this a question for the new gm, but under what metric or metrics will Nolan be evaluated once the season is over?

The desired goal is still to get a good draft pick, so wins and losses are secondary. You can't evaluate him for his development of the recently drafted youth since most of them have been shipped out. Though with regards to the last point I would wager that the improvement/development of Hodgson, Foligno, Pysyk, Myers, Ennis, and Girgensons (if he stays) should factor into the future GM's determination of if Nolan is worth more than just the title of interim coach.

I guess you could argue that the compete level and the ability to sustain it throughout a trying season should weigh into that decision, but I'm unsure you could evaluate that because compete level is somewhat subject to the whims of the schedule. Calgary was playing well and competing early in the seaon,but, and even with the recent return of Camilleri, they have flagged as they last won on the 3rd of November.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
‏@pham1717

One thing I see is Nolan does quite a bit more coaching and instructing at practice than he did the first time he was here

A good coach (Nolan) can instruct and teach you to compete and very very bad coach (Rolston) demands that you compete. There is quite a difference in mentoring young players and coaching them to succeed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Maybe I'm the only one that read and heard all the comments about Nolan coming back meaning:

- This team was going to fight a ton more (overlooking that they led the NHL in fighting majors at the time that RonRol was canned)

- This was the return of "Old Time Hockey"

- That Kaleta was getting recalled the next day because he's a "Ted Nolan player"

- That every player with work ethic issues would get kicked in the butt until he either worked hard every shift or was kicked out of town

The Legend of Ted Nolan in many fans' minds and what Ted Nolan really is can be very different things.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Maybe I'm the only one that read and heard all the comments about Nolan coming back meaning:

- This team was going to fight a ton more (overlooking that they led the NHL in fighting majors at the time that RonRol was canned)

- That Kaleta was getting recalled the next day because he's a "Ted Nolan player"

- That every player with work ethic issues would get kicked in the butt until he either worked hard every shift or was kicked out of town

The Legend of Ted Nolan in many fans' minds and what Ted Nolan really is can be very different things.

That's because all people remember about Nolan is that he had a hard working, physical team here in the 90's. It's not like Nolan pieced that team together himself, he was just working with what he was given, and what he was given was a team full of grinders. Somehow that equates to Nolan = grind team. :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's because all people remember about Nolan is that he had a hard working, physical team here in the 90's. It's not like Nolan pieced that team together himself, he was just working with what he was given, and what he was given was a team full of grinders. Somehow that equates to Nolan = grind team. :laugh:

And that's why I'm laughing at Ted not being exactly the guy that the Legend of Ted Nolan had grown into.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I guess I don't see the amount of posters going on about this that you do.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I guess I don't see the amount of posters going on about this that you do.

It's not as much here as other places like people I work with, callers on WGR, people all over facebook and commenters on blogs.

But, there have been a few people like that here, too.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's not as much here as other places like people I work with, callers on WGR, people all over facebook and commenters on blogs.

But, there have been a few people like that here, too.

If you're including those outlets then it makes sense. I thought you were referring to just here.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No Hasek and Nolan is no big deal. Greatest goalie of all time made Nolan and Ruff look like geniuses. Sabres went on a great playoff run in 1998-99 -- not a great team. Sorry.

Darcy's masterpiece was 2005-2006 -- got ahead of the curve on rules changes and almost rode it to cup. Owner chopped his leg's out from under him and he couldn't compensate.

The love for Nolan, not based on any real facts. Or maybe Rolston failures just looked so ugly.

Last edited:

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Every time I hear about how Nolan is fiddling with lines in practice, like this morning, I can't help but imagine him rearranging these:

Titanic-Deck-Chairs.jpg

And yes, that is an actual pic of the Titanic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad