The Ted Nolan thread

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I think Nolan might be able to draw the best out of Hodgson...and maybe Moulson too. Neither one of them really shy away from contact. They may not initiate, but they don't recoil. Ennis might stand to learn a bunch.....as I've said, his feet are always moving....where they take him, who knows.

Stafford might really hate his life going forward. Leino too.

Is this to say Ennis shys from contact? Sorry if I misunderstood but Ennis has more hits than Moulson and Hodgson combined. In fact he should've gotten the carruba collision a few games back when he flattened someone. (believe Flynn got it that game)

As for Nolan IDK much about him as I didn't watch too much hockey in the 90s. He cant be as bad as Rolston, that guy was a complete herpderp

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think some people are going to be upset if/when the new GM wants his own guy and doesn't retain Nolan.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
They've actually already mutually agreed to part ways after the World Championships. Part of Ted's whole reasoning taking the Latvia job was to get back to coaching at a higher level so he can be viewed as a candidate for an NHL job. It obviously worked.

That`s like saying someone took a job at MacDonalds so they could be viewed as a candidate for an executive position at KPMG.

Your statement is more likely to be a projection of your all-things-Latvia bias than actual truth.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
I'd swear I heard/read in all the interviews today, that Nolan is going to play John Scott and is also interested in having Kaleta come back up from Roch.

Is this true?

If so, is that a mistake at this point considering the teams rep at the moment?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'd swear I heard/read in all the interviews today, that Nolan is going to play John Scott and is also interested in having Kaleta come back up from Roch.

Is this true?

If so, is that a mistake at this point considering the teams rep at the moment?

Potentially. Darcy sending down Kaleta only made sense from the perspective that it would sell a narrative that he had reformed his game so that maybe the NHL would feel free to ease off him disciplinarily when he came back.

I don't care what people think about us for honor's sake, but if we attract more bad attention from league discipline, it might be a short lived return to the NHL for those guys and an even harder road back.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I have mostly positive feelings about the hire. For one, the attitude change is immediately there whenever a coach gets fired, so I imagine they will play hard for a new guy. He's a players coach and from the press conferences he seems to have a good mindset about it - he specifically mentioned trying to get the players better, win or lose. That's the attitude the coach of the team should have, and he seems to have embraced another opportunity regardless of the interim tag.

I think Girgensons will play a lot for him because of the Latvia connection (specifically mentioning him in his speech seems to suggest that), and he will likely try to play all of the younger guys as long as the effort/compete (which he said about 500 times) is there. Hopefully he can be the coach to get something out of Grigorenko, too.

Everything points towards the new GM ultimately being in charge of who the coach is according to LaFontaine... but they definitely left the door open for Nolan to win the job.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
That`s like saying someone took a job at MacDonalds so they could be viewed as a candidate for an executive position at KPMG.

Your statement is more likely to be a projection of your all-things-Latvia bias than actual truth.

Yes, because World Championship and Olympic hockey is so far below the NHL :shakehead . You obviously think Latvia is the name of some ECHL team instead of a team that plays in front of hundreds of NHL scouts and GMs at elite tournaments every year. I was just stating what he said when he took the job, but hey, you know better. Do you honestly think he'd be where he is today if he stuck to an office job in the AHL?

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Potentially. Darcy sending down Kaleta only made sense from the perspective that it would sell a narrative that he had reformed his game so that maybe the NHL would feel free to ease off him disciplinarily when he came back.

I don't care what people think about us for honor's sake, but if we attract more bad attention from league discipline, it might be a short lived return to the NHL for those guys and an even harder road back.

Weather Kaleta coming back is a good decision or not you are talking about message made by a GM who is gone and a decision by a coach who is also gone. From that point we are clear. As for what ownership thinks on the issue, who knows.

Frankly I think it would be good if Patty spent half a season modifying his game. I also think it would have been nice if ownership supported him a bit more. Once again who know what is coming from ownership.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Weather Kaleta coming back is a good decision or not you are talking about message made by a GM who is gone and a decision by a coach who is also gone. From that point we are clear. As for what ownership thinks on the issue, who knows.

Frankly I think it would be good if Patty spent half a season modifying his game. I also think it would have been nice if ownership supported him a bit more. Once again who know what is coming from ownership.

I think our PK failures alone garner a Kaleta recall...

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He actually looks pretty ****ing useless in this clip. Doesn't know the faceoff rules, doesn't know the player's names, seems like he's not really doing much back there but telling guys to work hard.

He's doing his best Tom Hanks Jimmy Dugan.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
He actually looks pretty ****ing useless in this clip. Doesn't know the faceoff rules, doesn't know the player's names, seems like he's not really doing much back there but telling guys to work hard.

Eh - might have been his first game there for all we know.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
His 'hard work' mentality could really help and while I've been skeptical about having him back before I think as an interim step, at this stage, it's realistically a fantastic move. He could really help this team learn to compete night in, night out which is what we're going to need long term.

I'm not sure he is a long term solution but it's a good move for both parties. He gets another shot at the NHL and we get a good interim coach who should please some of the older, more currently disillusioned fans. At least he seems to want to make the games more exciting.

90sKid*

Ted Nolan is a good choice. Hope he can help turn this team around - great guy to have back in the league.

CerambyX

Oct 16, 2013
Eh - might have been his first game there for all we know.

You are correct! This clip (if I remember correctly) was soon after he became coach of team Latvia - so he didn't know much about our players, their style of play, European hockey etc. At first it all was rather awkward but it was expected as it is very difficult for foreign coach to get a grasp of Latvian hockey (a lot of things to get used to).

Now I think most fans here in Latvia are very positive about Nolan as a coach. He came in at the time when our team was at one of lowest points in recent years with some bad/lazy attitude from players. But with his rather strict demands and good roster choices (from very limited player resources) he has transformed our national team to a hard working group of players who maybe will not win a Wolrd Championships (a big thing here in Latvia) but at least they are pleasure to watch as they are always competing.

So I think we can draw some parallels with Sabres situation at the moment. Sure they won't make play-offs and maybe even not win many games but at least they will compete every night with Nolan.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
I think it was his first year with the team, and for this exhibition game somewhere in Norway they had called up a very fringe roster - I don't see more than half of them anywhere near the actual team in the foreseeable future. And, well, Latvian names are hard to learn and prunounce, I guess that's been established for a while now. :)

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
your jumping to conclusions after watching him coach the Latvian B team in a third tier exhibition tournament in his SECOND GAME with the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
your jumping to conclusions after watching him coach the Latvian B team in a third tier exhibition tournament in his SECOND GAME with the team.

What conclusion did I jump to? I made an observation about the clip. Pretty sure my observations were true.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
What conclusion did I jump to? I made an observation about the clip. Pretty sure my observations were true.
You made an observation without any added context. To me it seems blatantly obvious that you have some sort of a pre-conceived opinion about Nolan and you'd love to jump to some negative conclusions about him as a coach based on very little to no evidence whatsoever. Just like this jbuds guy a little earlier.

I already gave you some context, I'll let others judge how meaningless and short-sighted where the comments you made about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->