The Ted Nolan thread

ogoaltrop

Oct 9, 2011
Just curious why Ted would take this as a interim knowing that when a new GM comes in and he could be out, especially after the raw deal he got in the past here.

Wouldnt ya think he'd want some security or long term deal ?

Is he desperate ?

I mean even if he does well, a new GM with any kind of clout would want his own guy in there wouldnt ya think ?

Or is the future GM in place and already gave the thumbs up for Nolan ?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Because coaching in the NHL can't be compared to coaching junior teams or a second-tier national team. It's a unique opportunity for him to get back in the NHL. He won't get another shot at it. Ever. It's a complete no-brainer for him. What are you even talking about?

YOUR EMPATHY LEVELS ARE CRITICALLY LOW.

A long term contract? SERIOUSLY? :rant:

ogoaltrop

Oct 9, 2011

Attachments

• tnolan.jpg
    tnolan.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 22

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Probably his last shot at getting another NHL gig, I expect him to be Latvias full time coach again after this season.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He's a winner! His teams battle at every level he's coached.

He lost the Isles job because he coached the team on an improbable run to the playoffs against Wang's wishes to see the gutted team tank! After Nolan left LOng Island, the Isles played pathetically and entered the dark ages to get Tavares and other youth. That hasn't paid off yet, just as Edmonton's suckitude hasn't yet either. Pittsburgh is the posterboy team for the benefits of tanking for years.

Buffalo's GM can trade away Miller and whatever other stars they want. Nolan will get the skaters to compete night in and night out, and they might just be playoff contenders heading into the last month, given Nolan's history. A 10th to 14th overall first round pick may be in the cards, but you bet the Sabres brass could use stockpiled picks and youth to trade up.

Nolan will establish a climate of competitiveness. If he's too successful, he may just lose his job like he did in NYI. :laugh: But in that case, another team will be more likely to pick him up.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
The Sabres going through the motions ends with Nolan

Sabres coach Ted Nolan watched his new team last night in their shootout win over Los Angeles. His son Jordan plays for the Kings, a team that works hard. Nolan is a coach that demands work ethic and he wasn’t real impressed with what he saw, “I was watching every time Jordan was on the ice, so I was watching as a father and as an evaluator. I wasn’t really too impressed with the game to tell you the truth, it wasn’t a very exciting game. I watched too many of those non exciting games. People spend a lot of hard earned money to come down and watch and the least we could do is entertain them and give an impassioned effort.”

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Sad to think he's getting this job for six months and then out again, but I'd have a hard time imagining who they bring in who thinks Ted Nolan is their guy long term.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Probably his last shot at getting another NHL gig, I expect him to be Latvias full time coach again after this season.

They've actually already mutually agreed to part ways after the World Championships. Part of Ted's whole reasoning taking the Latvia job was to get back to coaching at a higher level so he can be viewed as a candidate for an NHL job. It obviously worked. Depending on how he does here, they may knock the interim monicker off, or he'll at least be a viable candidate elsewhere in the NHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@SabresProspects: Hardest Working Team in Hockey. "If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up". First two games for Nolan? Toronto back-to-back. #Sabres

Should be fun this weekend.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Old story about Regier and Nolan:

http://www.buffalonews.com/article/19970702/CITYANDREGION/307029882

Regier also said his brief dealings with Nolan, especially his being rebuffed in repeated attempts to contact him over the weekend while Nolan spoke freely with the media, played a part in his decision.

"The fact that I wasn't able to get through and touch base with him (by phone over the weekend) -- that had more to do with evidence against being able to develop a working relationship than (Nolan's immediate reaction to) the one-year contract offer."

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If they win at .500 pace or better- "omg he ruins tank why fire Ron!?"

If they keep losing - "he yells at cuddly rookies and bad developer why he here!!"

More things change the more they'll stay the same.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The incoming GM will likely have say. Ted's history here damned him in the eyes of the Old Boys' Club that is the NHL management fraternity.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Nope, he will be relieved of his duties after this season (that's including the World Championship in Belarus), but obviously there is an off-chance that Nolan gets fired from the Sabres. Otherwise the cost of signing him would probably be too huge, considering that usually the head coach of the Latvian national team works full-time and that is generally impossible with an NHL coach. The World Championship starts during the NHL season.

Karate Johnson*

Hardest working team in hockey.

Also, since its the late 90's I'm gonna throw on a little Limp Bizkit, and watch my VHS of Stone Cold Steve Austin vs The Rock

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Thanks, wasn't he also coaching in Latvia? Any other teams major or minor? Any and all teams. Thanks

2005-06 Moncton Wildcats QMJHL Head 70 52 15 0 3 0.764

only other record I found, also NT records aren't that telling.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Nope, he will be relieved of his duties after this season (that's including the World Championship in Belarus), but obviously there is an off-chance that Nolan gets fired from the Sabres. Otherwise the cost of signing him would probably be too huge, considering that usually the head coach of the Latvian national team works full-time and that is generally impossible with an NHL coach. The World Championship starts during the NHL season.

okay, didn't know that. Was expecting he goes back to this gig.

ogoaltrop

Oct 9, 2011
@SabresProspects: Hardest Working Team in Hockey. "If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up". First two games for Nolan? Toronto back-to-back. #Sabres

Should be fun this weekend.

Scott and Kaletta better be in the line up !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad