The Ted Nolan thread

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Going by the lunch-bucket types that Nolan seems to love: Ott, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, McCormick, Tropp, and Flynn all seem to fit that mold.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Going by the lunch-bucket types that Nolan seems to love: Ott, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, McCormick, Tropp, and Flynn all seem to fit that mold.

I think Nolan might be able to draw the best out of Hodgson...and maybe Moulson too. Neither one of them really shy away from contact. They may not initiate, but they don't recoil. Ennis might stand to learn a bunch.....as I've said, his feet are always moving....where they take him, who knows.

Stafford might really hate his life going forward. Leino too.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He won't work in the new goal scoring NHL. There was a reason why he hasn't even been thought of for so many recent coaching opening and was crying when he finally found some dumb team to give him a chance. Luckily it is just interim and we can continue to tank. We can't make the same mistake we made with Rolston. Get this guy out at the end of the year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Nolan might be able to draw the best out of Hodgson...and maybe Moulson too. Neither one of them really shy away from contact. They may not initiate, but they don't recoil. Ennis might stand to learn a bunch.....as I've said, his feet are always moving....where they take him, who knows.

Stafford might really hate his life going forward. Leino too.

Ennis will initiate, so this may be a good thing for him. Hopefully Ted realizes just how thin they are down the middle and works with Pat on addressing that, even in an interim basis, to get actual centers instead of continuing to use jumped up wingers in the middle (Ennis, Foligno, the failed Leino experiment). How they solve it, I'm not sure -- I think they need a body from outside personally.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Ennis will initiate, so this may be a good thing for him. Hopefully Ted realizes just how thin they are down the middle and works with Pat on addressing that, even in an interim basis, to get actual centers instead of continuing to use jumped up wingers in the middle (Ennis, Foligno, the failed Leino experiment). How they solve it, I'm not sure -- I think they need a body from outside personally.

Miller for Couturier? :naughty: :laugh:

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Yeah, but he also doesn't want to develop 19 year olds in the NHL by his own words.

That's an easy thing to say when you have 4 teenagers in the lineup with older players down in the A, unfortunately for the Sabres, they don't really have much choice in some cases (Grigs), but in cases like Girgs, I think it would be near impossible to argue that someone like Kaleta should be in the NHL ahead of him, especially considering how consistently well he's played to date, even if the points aren't necessarily coming yet. Even Stamkos started off very slow points wise, and Z isn't expect to have anywhere near his offensive upside.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
That's an easy thing to say when you have 4 teenagers in the lineup with older players down in the A, and unfortunately for the Sabres, they don't really have much choice in some cases (Grigs), but in cases like Girgs, I think it would be near impossible to argue that someone like Kaleta should be in the NHL ahead of him, especially considering how consistently well he's played to date, even if the points aren't necessarily coming yet. Even Stamkos started off very slow points wise, and Z isn't expect to have anywhere near his offensive upside.

The nice thing about our 19 year olds is that all but one of them are right in Nolan's wheelhouse: active and physical.

The only one that might mightily struggle in a Nolan atmosphere? Grigorenko.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
The nice thing about our 19 year olds is that all but one of them are right in Nolan's wheelhouse: active and physical.

The only one that might mightily struggle in a Nolan atmosphere? Grigorenko.

I have hope for Grigs because he developed under Roy. He's definitely a sink or swim guy with Nolan.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I thought of him this morning as well. He demanded a trade and does not have much value but what would Nill/Ruff want from Buffalo. Who does Ruff miss? Ellis :sarcasm:

He asked for an expanded role/more playing time... picking nits really, but not a "demand" so much as a request.

I think they could get him for a mid-round pick, personally, and that gives them the flexibility to actually play real centers at center with a vet taking some of the defensive zone pressure off using the kids (Larsson/Grigs/Girgs) or the nearly kids (Hodgson) or the flat out not centers (Ott, Leino, Foligno, Ennis).

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Shawn Matthias is a guy Nolan should have some familiarity with from his Rochester days, for better or worse

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
I have hope for Grigs because he developed under Roy. He's definitely a sink or swim guy with Nolan.

i was coming to post similar.

Roy said in question to Grigs compete level in the past he was a guy you had to challenge and when you did that he would respond. Roy always spoke highly of Grigs.

I think Nolan could be good for Grigs, as long as Grigs buys in and does not get offended and shut him out.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
As I've stated in another thread, the Sabres have been about Regier and Ruff for as long as I've been a fan. So I feel that I miss a lot of context when it comes to Nolan. Everyone seems to agree he is about hardworking hockey, but other than that? What should I expect? What's his system? Five man rushes without the puck, like Ruff, or the Benny Hill-defence that Rolston introduced? Does he want to play a posession game or play on the rush, dump and chase, forecheck, what?

And second: I see hints about "the treatment" Nolan recieved last time as Sabres coach. What happened? I need some context guys! :)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

We could always send Zemgus back to Rochester to start developing at center.

Oh, I forgot, that would rile the masses who want to see him working hard as a third-line winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad