The Tank is Love. All Hail the Tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I am not saying that’s how odds work, for the record. The higher (lower) you finish the better chance you have. I know that. I am just saying we usually drop in the draft so no reason to believe we will move up.

So yes the worst we would pick is 4th (if we finish dead last)... Lower we finish, the better the pick (for most part).

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Are you sure you want to derail this thread into a discussion about economics? The data don't support your claims, FYI. Being wealthy is largely the result of being born rich, rather than some sort of undefinable mastery of all things economic.

But let's get back on track. This thread is about the Tank.
I'm not trying to bore people with hockey is a business tirade I'm just trying to say it explains a lot of stuff that happens in the background by management that frustrates and confuses fans and making money is usually the driving force.
If they make promises or say the team is rebuilding when its not then its all wrapped around selling tickets first and foremost.
I get a whole lot less frustrated with their antics when I understand their motive for the frustrating and confusing move was money .

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I am not saying that’s how odds work, for the record. The higher (lower) you finish the better chance you have. I know that.

These two things...

I am just saying we usually drop in the draft so no reason to believe we will move up.

...are contradictions.

You think the odds are somehow biased against us.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
These two things...

...are contradictions.

You think the odds are somehow biased against us.
No, no I don’t. I am going by past facts (of where we ended up after the lottery). They don’t change just for us, let’s get real. We did however, scoop EP40 @ 5 so that’s a huge win. So if we don’t get a top 3 pick there’s still good prospects to be had.

I will eat by words and say “you’re right”, if we end up with a top 3 pick. How about that!? I am merely saying that I am not banking on it. I can’t bare to be disappointed any more. So I appreciate everyone’s optimism (it’s just not where I am at right now).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No, no I don’t. I am going by past facts (of where we ended up after the lottery). They don’t change just for us, let’s get real. We did however, scoop EP40 @ 5 so that’s a huge win. So if we don’t get a top 3 pick there’s still good prospects to be had.

I will eat by words and say “you’re right”, if we end up with a top 3 pick. How about that!? I am merely saying that I am not banking on it. I can’t bare to be disappointed any more. So I appreciate everyone’s optimism (it’s just not where I am at right now).

Past events have zero impact on future results in the draft lottery. You're falling into the trap of the gambler's fallacy.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Oh I'm sorry you mistook me asking you for some type of credentials as me smoozing you =]
Do I need credentials now to express my opinion on here like everyone else.
So to speak my truth I need credentials to prove I'm an expert to say so aething on social media now .
I or anyone else on here dont need your approval but thanks for respecting others posters right to speak.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Shieeet. Ive been called a lot of things here but optimist is not one of them.

Reactions: Jack Burton

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So to speak my truth I need credentials to prove I'm an expert to say so aething on social media now .
I or anyone else on here dont need your approval but thanks for respecting others posters right to speak.

No but if your going to be condsending about how billionaires operate then you better be ready to show your a billionaire otherwise your pulling stuff out your ass

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Good thing we are wasting time arguing about where the Canucks are going to be drafting this year. Definitely have nothing better to do than debate this. Please let’s just move on. I respect that everyone has their own opinion. I will eat my words and tell anyone who’s “right” if we get a top 3 pick. And will be happy to do so. I actually hope I am wrong. Anything else to discuss?

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Good thing we are wasting time arguing about where the Canucks are going to be drafting this year. Definitely have nothing better to do than debate this. Please let’s just move on. I respect that everyone has their own opinion. I will eat my words and tell anyone who’s “right” if we get a top 3 pick. And will be happy to do so. I actually hope I am wrong. Anything else to discuss?
Im not sure you are getting it. People here are genuinely trying to educate you on how how odds/probability work. No one is arguing with you, just trying to be helpful and trying to explain the concept. Its not about opinion its about facts.

Interesting how so many people dont seem to get the concept.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

It's not a right or wrong issue. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of math and how probabilities work, and we're not sure you get it.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
No but if your going to be condsending about how billionaires operate then you better be ready to show your a billionaire otherwise your pulling stuff out your ass
So I need to prove to you that rich people like to make money and if i cant prove the obvious then I'm pulling it out of my butt . Right

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
All due respect the reason I make a point of this is because posters are always complaining that the team is not rebuilding when it should or they say they are and theyre obviously not.
To us fans the team are hockey heros but to management hockey is a money making enterprise the more entertaining the team the more money it makes and if management needs to tell us theyre an entertaining product when theyre not just to sell tickets then thats what theyre gonna do to sell their brand.
I understand the business side of a corporation can get in the way of our hockey fantasies if we let it perhaps ignorance is bliss is what some would rather have.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Im not sure you are getting it. People here are genuinely trying to educate you on how how odds/probability work. No one is arguing with you, just trying to be helpful and trying to explain the concept. Its not about opinion its about facts.

Interesting how so many people dont seem to get the concept.
Because I don’t think we will move up... I don’t get how odds work. Really?! If you want to have a side convo, feel free to message me. Get a grip!

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
All due respect the reason I make a point of this is because posters are always complaining that the team is not rebuilding when it should or they say they are and theyre obviously not.
To us fans the team are hockey heros but to management hockey is a money making enterprise the more entertaining the team the more money it makes and if management needs to tell us theyre an entertaining product when theyre not just to sell tickets then thats what theyre gonna do to sell their brand.
I understand the business side of a corporation can get in the way of our hockey fantasies if we let it perhaps ignorance is bliss is what some would rather have.

All right let’s look at it logically then: we have payed Louis eriksson 23 million to deliver us the playoffs over an replacement level player at 1 million per year for 3 years. Explain to me using your big business sense

how loui eriksson is worth 20 million more over the last 3 years.

Oh playoff revenue is your reasoning well the gate revenue per home playoff game is roughly 2 million and that’s being generous so even if things worked out for the last 3 years and loui helped this team into the playoffs for a first round sweep that’s an extra 6 million.

So on just the loui eriksson contract how does the team recouperate the 14 million spent out?

Then let’s add in the franchise value from 2018 the canucks were at 735 million

Forbes Releases 20th Annual List of NHL Team Valuations

While in 2015 the team was valued at 745 million. 2015 was the year benning took over

6. Vancouver Canucks

Based on just inflation the value of the team should have gone up to 800 million as the annual rate of inflation has been 1.82%

So based on just these two number show your math that benning is good on the business side. As I can see it benning has cost aqua man 69 million in value since taking over based on the value of the franchise and the loui eriksson contract.

But please show me how he’s increased the value of it

Also they aren’t heroes of mine; they are entertainment; my heroes don’t play sports for a living or if they do they are much more than just a hockey player - stop using that condescending line

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
It's not a right or wrong issue. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of math and how probabilities work, and we're not sure you get it.
I can assure you I get probability and odds. I don’t think you get how dumb this whole ongoing thread is. Please move on! If you want to side message me to discuss this even more, go for it. Otherwise let it go!

Last edited:

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Leafs are pathetic. They're going nowhere in the playoffs this year.

Funny thing is according to the athletic model the canucks are even bigger underdogs for today's game against the oilers than they were yesterday, only shows a 32.9% chance of winning. Hope McDavid can light us up.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Oh no it's just that I said something about the team and you denied it and explained to everyone what it's like to be a billionaire or whatever. Just wanted to confirm whether or not you're a billionaire as it seemed like you were quite the expert on billionaires. Sorry if I offended you, wasn't trying to attack you for having a little bank balance or anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad