OT: The signification of your username?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Lol thanks for that, ive legit always wondered who was in that picture too, i always thought it was a picture of you and i was like, well, I like the balls to throw yourself out there like that lol

hahaha. He's definitely one of the most unlikely frontmen of rock and roll history. I remember when I saw a different still from this same interview, it was the first time I ever saw him. He had his tongue out and he looked like a lizard and I thought he was like at least 70 years old. Turns out this pic was from when he was only about 47 years old.

If 70s and early 80s post punk is your thing, I don't think it gets much better than the Fall. Definitely on the weirder side of things but they do have 'poppier' stuff. He's a hilarious interview...when you can understand what he's saying.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There was a real honest to goodness Siberian Tiger named Boris.

And it just so happens that the tiger was moved from Quebec to Alberta; to reside at the Edmonton Zoo. When I first read about the tiger, it influenced my name choice because, as at one point, the Tiger became depressed and alienated with the move to the new zoo and it turned out that hearing French made the tiger happy.

I thought it was apropos for a Habs fan, especially one that moved West and had a similar experience.

Edmonton Valley Zoo's Siberian tiger, Boris, has died | Big Cat Rescue

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
The best with the puck ever! He could shoot (slap not snap), he could lob, he could pass, saucer pass from board to board or zone to zone, he could get the puck on his stick and wave it like a lacrosse player. And there are so many stories, here's one:

the Habs were playing the Rangers on HNIC. On a Habs PP, Rod Gilbert cut an across the ice pass full speed. He caught the defencemen off balance and was on a breakaway except for JC at the red line. He went through him like he was a pylon all alone with Roggie Vachon. The camera had him in a close up then went wide just as he was about to fire. The stick went up and Vachon uncrouched. Gilbert, puzzled, looked at his feet for the puck, his head going everywhere. Camera switch, JC was entering the Rangers zone with the puck, having picked Gilbert's pockets.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

And it just so happens that the tiger was moved from Quebec to Alberta; to reside at the Edmonton Zoo. When I first read about the tiger, it influenced my name choice because, as at one point, the Tiger became depressed and alienated with the move to the new zoo and it turned out that hearing French made the tiger happy.

I thought it was apropos for a Habs fan, especially one that moved West and had a similar experience.

That's a fascinating story. It's not easy to move away from home that's for sure.

This is a great thread by the way, whoever started it. I'm impressed by the variety of reasons that lead to an internet nickname.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The best with the puck ever! He could shoot (slap not snap), he could lob, he could pass, saucer pass from board to board or zone to zone, he could get the puck on his stick and wave it like a lacrosse player. And there are so many stories, here's one:

the Habs were playing the Rangers on HNIC. On a Habs PP, Rod Gilbert cut an across the ice pass full speed. He caught the defencemen off balance and was on a breakaway except for JC at the red line. He went through him like he was a pylon all alone with Roggie Vachon. The camera had him in a close up then went wide just as he was about to fire. The stick went up and Vachon uncrouched. Gilbert, puzzled, looked at his feet for the puck, his head going everywhere. Camera switch, JC was entering the Rangers zone with the puck, having picked Gilbert's pockets.

JC was my very favorite Habs Dman when I started to watch hockey. I seem to recall he had a reversal / spin move that he used to evade the opposition. Great player!

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Boris never belonged in a zoo, but your story is really great!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
First thing I think of when I think about pete:

MV5BZmQzYWNiODItNDcxZS00ZTVkLThiZTEtNTRkNjA0NWE2NTc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA1NDY3NzY@._V1_.jpg
=
I should know who that is but I haven't got a clue.

Reactions: groovejuice

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I thought so too!

Things worked out much better for me out here than the tiger.

I also thought it was ironic and serendipitous that the tiger like our beloved franchise had a clear preference for French, all other factors being equal of course :help:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Yoshi's Island is a common video game I played when I was younger.
(Maya) Yoshida is a defender from my favourite soccer(football) club (Southampton FC).

I thought Yoshida's Island was a funny little play on words so I Photoshopped an image.

I used to be Magic Bean, but I think I'll keep this username now.

I honestly always thought it was a play on words with "Robidas Island" and "Yoshi Island" and I tought it was awesome because it's one of my favorite HF main board meme. Im surprised to learn it's not hockey related at all lol. Football isnt really my cup of tea so I wouldnt know about the player

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I honestly always thought it was a play on words with "Robidas Island" and "Yoshi Island" and I tought it was awesome because it's one of my favorite HF main board meme. Im surprised to learn it's not hockey related at all lol. Football isnt really my cup of tea so I wouldnt know about the player
Sorry to disappoint :laugh:

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
I used to be Sundog1985 based off of my favorite game of all time Sundog the Frozen Legacy, that came out in 1985. Then one day I decided to be more open with my mental health issues and part of that was changing my username and avatar. Now when someone thinks I'm off my rocker because of an opinion they can see that I'm different and accept it. I must say I've gotten in much fewer arguments since I've made the change.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I guess...if you're too young to have seen Bobby Orr.

Don't know, man. Lemieux dominated in the dead puck era. Both players had their hayday after an expansion. Different league, different times, different players, different attributes. Lemieux had the sickest hands in the history of the league. He made Ray Bourque look like Hal Gill more than once and have never seen someone read and control the play so well.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
My first internet persona name (and here) was hyperwebman... kind of a lame internet superhero I guess... fun fact people in French chatrooms shortened it to hyper, in English they kept webman... looking up that name on Google shows some old posts about old passions: Magic: The Gathering, Civilization, Gaming console emulation, computer hardware, Formula 1 and... HfHabs :P The name was used back in 2004, probably even before that...

davepeak (or DavePeak, davepeak37, etc) is the one I use pretty much everywhere now, using my real first name (which is Dave, not David! ;) ) and something close enough to my last name, but more catchy? (stage name I guess, in the years I got close to become a DJ). 37 is my lucky number since childhood for no specific reason, but not related to a Habs/hockey player at all!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad