OT: The signification of your username?

Dick Duff

Feb 17, 2014
Edmonton
Dick Duff. Heart of a lion. Pure money in the playoffs. Despite his slight size, never backed down from anyone. Six Stanley Cup rings, four with Montreal. The 1960s was when I really got caught up with the Habs cult in Montreal and that's when I started noticing Duff on the ice. Battling in the crease, the corners - everywhere...

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Wanted to be Frog Attack ( Nickname growing up as I always wanted to Catch Frogs as a kid and into my teenaged years ) but it was banned by mods because of the implication of frogs and french.....

Therefore Toads were a close second... and I was trying to think of something that went nicely with toad..... Tank Toad was born.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
A local Cégep hockey team in a Sherbrooke suburb (Cougars of Champlain College in Lennoxville) have this slogan: Cougar Pride.

Picked it up and added Québec in front of it as yes I'm very fond of our province. Before bearing it on the interwebs, i used the pride suffix for videogame characters, notably a paladin who I called HeavensPride, thought it sounded pretty bad ass.

Sorry to disappoint those that thought it was in honor of the pride movement ;). Though I have lived in Quartier Latin for a year, next to le Village, which is a great spot for students (bars a plenty). I honestly only realised it could have the LGBT pride connotation last week.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Before I found HFBoards I used to read a lot on pickuphockey.com there was a poster named Peanut who I enjoyed there post so of course I stole their name lol

Might change it one day but it is simple and easy.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Dick Duff. Heart of a lion. Pure money in the playoffs. Despite his slight size, never backed down from anyone. Six Stanley Cup rings, four with Montreal. The 1960s was when I really got caught up with the Habs cult in Montreal and that's when I started noticing Duff on the ice. Battling in the crease, the corners - everywhere...
The Habs picked up Dick Duff mid season in 1964-65, they hadn`t won the Cup since the Rocket retired in 1960. He helped them win 4 cups in 5 years after that. Another Habs legend.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
People often think I have this username because Im a fan of Ozymandias in The Watchmen. Nope.

I read Fight Club when I was close to my early 20's.

Towards the end of the book, when Tyler's plans fall short (contrarily to the movie) the narrator says "I am Ozymandias, king of kings". This picked my curiosity so I looked it up on the internet, found the Shelley poem, understood the significance of the RamsesII's story, and I've often sported that name online ever since. It is a warning against those in power that they are often the artisans of their own defeat. It fitted nicely with what I was listening at the time, the No Control album by Bad Religion. The song itself, No Control, parralels the same warning.

In online gaming, I mostly always use GreenTaylorSimms, which is from Chuck Palahniuk's best novel (in my not-so humble opinion), Rant. If you like dystopias, time travel, virtual reality and zombie stories, this book should be right up your alley. The social commentary is even better than in Fight Club.

The really funny thing is that I haven't been into Palahniuk books in the last decade as his material has degraded.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Before I found HFBoards I used to read a lot on pickuphockey.com there was a poster named Peanut who I enjoyed there post so of course I stole their name lol

Might change it one day but it is simple and easy.

Please don't. I hate it when people do that. There are already so many names of good posters that we have to remember, it's a pain in the *** when we have to remember, oh right, that was his name before.

Been sporting this usy for 11 years here. No one makes any mistake recognizing me as a forum user (and user of innapropriate language).

And I can own up to my past mistakes, not run away from them. Although I understand some change their name for other reasons. When you see a cool name like Ozymandias, you wanna follow suit. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Yoshi's Island is a common video game I played when I was younger.
(Maya) Yoshida is a defender from my favourite soccer(football) club (Southampton FC).

I thought Yoshida's Island was a funny little play on words so I Photoshopped an image.

I used to be Magic Bean, but I think I'll keep this username now.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
A girl in Myrtle Beach asked me my name, I said Pierre, she said what? P i e r r e ! What? (I gave up) Pete. Oh! like Peat Moss. I didn't know what she meant until I saw a bag and noticed the spelling. I just added a E at the end and it's been my nickname ever since. If you replace the T with a C, you get Peace. I was a Hippy back then. :laugh:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Don Cherry REALLY messed up Max's name on the Coach's corner.

I always thought you had lost a bet and had to switch letters :laugh:

The question that keeps HFHabs awake at night

Can't wait for the Great Lolzner

10+ years ago, when Stephen Harper and his cronies were reigning supreme in Canada, he started cutting in the funds given to "artists". So, in Quebec, they created the Art-Peur movement as they were unhappy. I thought it was a funny name and I started using it here and there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad