OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread | Can I Dance to It?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well, direct me to some music since 2000 you think I would enjoy with some great dynamics of sound...I’ve tried The Black Keys, Rival Sons, Royal Blood, King Gizzard, Tame Impala, NAA, GVF and a bunch of other rock bands...there’s been a few songs here and there I really like, but mostly disappointed with the albums consistently and I can’t get interested in them long term...the way I could listen to Zep endlessly, even bootlegs, or Steely Dan....I mean I could play Aja again for the 300th time and be more interested listening to it than any one band today...but I certainly don’t keep up with everything out there..
Well, I'm no expert, as I go back to that 60's and 70's stuff a lot too, as well as the 90's, but....

Jack White (in all his forms, White Stripes, Raconteurs, solo)
Gary Clark Jr. (a real motherf***er on the guitar. If you like Hendrix...)
Parquet Courts (if you're into Velvet Underground)
Modest Mouse (at least their first 3 or 4 albums, most notably The Moon and Antartica)
Kings of Leon (again, at least their first 3 or 4)
Spoon (maybe a little inconsistent, but just well crafted rock pop)

There's a lot of albums where I don't know a lot about the artists, but I love at least one of their albums or maybe they only had 1 or 2 albums...Amy Winehouse (Back to Black), Bon Iver (For Emma, Forever Ago), Fiona Apple (Extraordinary Machine), Postal Service (Give Up), Alabama Shakes, Courtney Barnett (Sometimes I Sit and Think...), MGMT...

There's a bunch of bands that I appreciate, but haven't really dove into a whole lot for whatever reason...Radiohead, LCD Sound System, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, Queens of the Stone Age, Father John Misty...You don't seem like the type to like any hip-hop, but there's a ton of great rappers out there and they aren't all talking about bitches and money.

For me personally, I've been getting more and more into country (or I guess people would call it alt-country) over the last several years:
Sturgill Simpson (love his progression from straight country to psychedelic country to big band with the Dap Kings and his next record is supposedly more rock'n'roll...even covered Nirvana on his last one)
Jason Isbell (one of the more...moving...lyricists I've heard. I would say sad (but beautiful), but I saw an interview where he prefers 'moving' over 'sad')
Chris Stapleton (dude's got soul)
Ryan Adams (kind of blends genres a bit, but good singer-songwriter type...)
Wilco (also blend genres. I've heard them referred to as a a 'dad band' because they appeal to well...dads).

I kind of come across music randomly. I've been a hardcore Dylan fan 15+ years and just recently 'got' Nashville Skyline despite friends telling me it's a classic for years. I thought Willie Nelson was just that cute grandpa who smoked a lot weed with Snoop Dogg until like 3 years ago. I'm not sure I ever even heard of John Prine until about a year ago. I got turned onto Donny Hathaway through Amy Winehouse. I don't know. Again, I'm no expert. I just know what I like, listen to a lot of stuff, and am always looking for more.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Post 2000, the only band I really like is Queens of the Stone Age, but I do not like their last album.

I liked some of their early songs, but again, like some other bands I mentioned, just haven’t been able to get into them consistently...

Reactions: Guentz

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well, I'm no expert, as I go back to that 60's and 70's stuff a lot too, as well as the 90's, but....

Jack White (in all his forms, White Stripes, Raconteurs, solo)
Gary Clark Jr. (a real mother****er on the guitar. If you like Hendrix...)
Parquet Courts (if you're into Velvet Underground)
Modest Mouse (at least their first 3 or 4 albums, most notably The Moon and Antartica)
Kings of Leon (again, at least their first 3 or 4)
Spoon (maybe a little inconsistent, but just well crafted rock pop)

There's a lot of albums where I don't know a lot about the artists, but I love at least one of their albums or maybe they only had 1 or 2 albums...Amy Winehouse (Back to Black), Bon Iver (For Emma, Forever Ago), Fiona Apple (Extraordinary Machine), Postal Service (Give Up), Alabama Shakes, Courtney Barnett (Sometimes I Sit and Think...), MGMT...

There's a bunch of bands that I appreciate, but haven't really dove into a whole lot for whatever reason...Radiohead, LCD Sound System, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, Queens of the Stone Age, Father John Misty...You don't seem like the type to like any hip-hop, but there's a ton of great rappers out there and they aren't all talking about *****es and money.

For me personally, I've been getting more and more into country (or I guess people would call it alt-country) over the last several years:
Sturgill Simpson (love his progression from straight country to psychedelic country to big band with the Dap Kings and his next record is supposedly more rock'n'roll...even covered Nirvana on his last one)
Jason Isbell (one of the more...moving...lyricists I've heard. I would say sad (but beautiful), but I saw an interview where he prefers 'moving' over 'sad')
Chris Stapleton (dude's got soul)
Ryan Adams (kind of blends genres a bit, but good singer-songwriter type...)
Wilco (also blend genres. I've heard them referred to as a a 'dad band' because they appeal to well...dads).

I kind of come across music randomly. I've been a hardcore Dylan fan 15+ years and just recently 'got' Nashville Skyline despite friends telling me it's a classic for years. I thought Willie Nelson was just that cute grandpa who smoked a lot weed with Snoop Dogg until like 3 years ago. I'm not sure I ever even heard of John Prine until about a year ago. I got turned onto Donny Hathaway through Amy Winehouse. I don't know. Again, I'm no expert. I just know what I like, listen to a lot of stuff, and am always looking for more.

Some good suggestions, and many I’ve heard some of their work but not a lot...I was going to say previously that probably Sound of Silver was the best album I’ve heard in the last 20 years and it’s not rock but it’s funny you mentioned LCD.... I have a preference for rock generally but I just find the production of a lot modern rock to be indifferent and uninspiring...also the recent bands lack the funk and Motown -inspired rhythm sections that made much of the 70s rock and post punk groups so good...I gravitate towards a groovy bass line...

I do like Tupac and have quite a bit of 90s hip hop but I find it boring to listen to regularly...thanks for the suggestions

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well, direct me to some music since 2000 you think I would enjoy with some great dynamics of sound...I’ve tried The Black Keys, Rival Sons, Royal Blood, King Gizzard, Tame Impala, NAA, GVF and a bunch of other rock bands...there’s been a few songs here and there I really like, but mostly disappointed with the albums consistently and I can’t get interested in them long term...the way I could listen to Zep endlessly, even bootlegs, or Steely Dan....I mean I could play Aja again for the 300th time and be more interested listening to it than any one band today...but I certainly don’t keep up with everything out there..
Aja did not age all that well for me....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Some good suggestions, and many I’ve heard some of their work but not a lot...I was going to say previously that probably Sound of Silver was the best album I’ve heard in the last 20 years and it’s not rock but it’s funny you mentioned LCD.... I have a preference for rock generally but I just find the production of a lot modern rock to be indifferent and uninspiring...also the recent bands lack the funk and Motown -inspired rhythm sections that made much of the 70s rock and post punk groups so good...I gravitate towards a groovy bass line...

I do like Tupac and have quite a bit of 90s hip hop but I find it boring to listen to regularly...thanks for the suggestions

Some of my favorites from the past fiveish years..

Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect

Detroit Post-Punk

Charles Bradley - Victim of Love

Revival James Brown

Angel Olsen - MY WOMAN

Neil Young vibes from a female singer songwriter

Royal Headache - Royal Headache

Sam Cooke / Replacements worship.

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Yeah, I'm probably not the best to give suggestions for 'rock' as I tend to go more for the singer-songwriter types who go between genres (the Beatles, Dylan, Neil Young, etc.), but my point from the beginning is more that there is stuff out there for everyone. You just have to look for it more than you used to because the industry is so fractured and there's not really these rock gods like there used to be.

But since you bring up funk and Tupac, just a few more specific suggestions:

Sturgill Simpon's A Sailor's Guide to the Galaxy. I know 'country' scares people off, but this album is really not. I mean, he's got some twang in his voice because that's who he is, but he had the Dap Kings (who also played on Amy Winehouse's record as well as Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings who were their own funk band) on that record. For a country boy who grew up playing in bluegrass bands, he also cites Marvin Gaye as his favorite musician. And like I said before, he covers Nirvana on that record, too. Just a really interesting dude IMO.

Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly. Originally titled To Pimp a Caterpillar (as in Tu Pimp A Caterpillar). Kendrick's one of the few commercially successful rappers who also has the respect of the hip-hop heads. This album in particular though, is full of jazz, funk, and hip-hop. It even has a George Clinton feature and it ends with a 'conversation' between him and Tupac. If you pay attention to the music industry at all, you probably heard of it, but it's legit.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Some of my favorites from the past fiveish years..

Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect

Detroit Post-Punk

Charles Bradley - Victim of Love

Revival James Brown

Angel Olsen - MY WOMAN

Neil Young vibes from a female singer songwriter

Royal Headache - Royal Headache

Sam Cooke / Replacements worship.
This dude is awesome. Recently got into him through his cover of Black Sabbath's Changes. And just reading about him on Wikipedia, he was on Daptone Records along with the Dap Kings.

I've heard of Angel Olsen, but never listened. Neil Young is one of my favorites, though, so maybe I've give her a shot.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This dude is awesome. Recently got into him through his cover of Black Sabbath's Changes.

I've heard of Angel Olsen, but never listened. Neil Young is one of my favorites, though, so maybe I've give her a shot.

Saw Charles when he first released that record on the Newport Beach Pier with the love of my life. Beautiful show.

Solid Angel Olsen banger. Some of her other stuff is pretty indie folk / rock.

This set is pretty rad from Protomartyr

Crazy track from Royal Headache:

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Killers had some great albums in the early 2000s.

Blink 182 had a great album in 99 and 01 (and 97 before that). But they fell off after that and became pretty generic imo.

New Found Glory's self titled album in 2000 is really good imo.

Modest Mouse was already mentioned, but they have great albums too. I personally think Good News for People Who Love Bad News is their best.

There are obviously a lot of amazing rap and hip hop albums post 2000. I love Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, and Chance the Rapper.

There's a lot in here I need to listen to.

Last edited:

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Well, direct me to some music since 2000 you think I would enjoy with some great dynamics of sound...

My nephew loves Greta van Fleet. I've enjoyed what I've listened to but haven't put much time into it. It may be something that you'd like.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My nephew loves Greta van Fleet. I've enjoyed what I've listened to but haven't put much time into it. It may be something that you'd like.

As a huge Zep fan who’s spent so much money on Jimmy’s projects that I probably should have a wing of his museum-like mansion named after me, I was really hoping to like GVF...unfortunately their songwriting is like having Carnation instant milk when the real thing is right in your fridge....they just seem like a poor imitation of classic rock and I hate to say that...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Really? I don’t find it dated at all...it’s brilliant imo
Had been for the long time on my alltime TOP 10 list of albums, have not listened to it maybe for 10 years and just recently decided to listen to again (after watching a documentary about making the album), and just felt a little bit flat....it must be me...on the other hand yesterday, in the car, I had my radio on the local WYIP station and heard the Neil Young intro guitar riff on Cowgirl in the sand, and got so overwhelmed with the power and beauty of that, had to pull off ....now that one aged well :)

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
@Andy99

Here are a couple newish hard rock albums to try.

Fuzz - Fuzz (2013)
fuzz-360x360.jpg

Black Mountain - Destroyer (2019)
a1848302029_10.jpg

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If you’re into QOTSA check out Highly Suspect’s album- Mister Asylum. Probably my favorite rock album of the last 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00