OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread | Can I Dance to It?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Stop making excuses for ****

But by pretending there was a mythical golden age, that’s exactly what you’re doing. :laugh:

I can agree with you that there’s lots of crap out there, but it exists in literally every age of music. Most artistic output is, frankly, not good. We only remember the good stuff because it stands out.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
10,000 could disagree and I'd still be correct and you'd still be wrong

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Very rarely does one encounter the lyrical and musical genius like Terry Jacks, Morris Hutton, and the guy who wrote “afternoon delight” in one era. :laugh:

I’m a huge fan of proto-punk and glam rock, but largely because that shit is unrepentantly dumb and primitively simple. But good in any sense beyond dumb entertainment? :laugh:

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Very rarely does one encounter the lyrical and musical genius like Terry Jacks, Morris Hutton, and the guy who wrote “afternoon delight” in one era. :laugh:

I’m a huge fan of proto-punk and glam rock, but largely because that **** is unrepentantly dumb and primitively simple. But good in any sense beyond dumb entertainment? :laugh:

They call it "AM Gold" for a reason. :nod:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For the last time, dad, those Beatles remasters you bought on CD suck, and no, I won’t give you back that Modern Lovers Album you accidentally bought.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
How did Rihanna end up being the 'talentless pop star' example used in this thread? She's a good singer. She's not going to bring down the house like Whitney Houston or someone like that and there's no denying she's as famous as she is because she's also extremely sexy, but she can sing.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
But by pretending there was a mythical golden age, that’s exactly what you’re doing. :laugh:

I can agree with you that there’s lots of crap out there, but it exists in literally every age of music. Most artistic output is, frankly, not good. We only remember the good stuff because it stands out.

I've never claimed there was a "golden age". There has always been bad popular music, novelty songs, kitsch records, etc. That's not really what I'm talking about. What we have at this point is the near complete domination of popular music but a few producers/labels and their canned acts. It's really been this way since the late 90s/early 2000s but you could see it building up in the late 80s. Where we used to have 15-20 number ones over a year, we're now looking at 10-12 and even fewer (fewest being 8 in 2015).

Ke$ha is probably the most high profile example. A string of massive hits in the early 2010s before getting into a lawsuit with one of the rainmen producers, and now, despite putting out a critically acclaimed album, she barely cracks the Billboard 100. Unless you go completely viral (harder and harder to do), you have almost no chance to beat out who the big producers/labels are pimping. That wasn't always the case.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
But when wasn’t it the case? The sales charts in the 60s and 70s disagee with that, plus the whole Pittsburgh area was caught up in the payola scandal. Pop music is, more often than not, a manufactured commodity, to the point where non-manufactured pop acts stand out in any era.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I’m a huge fan of proto-punk and glam rock, but largely because that **** is unrepentantly dumb and primitively simple. But good in any sense beyond dumb entertainment? :laugh:

You didn’t like “Having my baby” by Paul Anka?

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
and when discussing art, it's also not a matter of objective fact.

This might be the biggest lie concerning art that's ever been told. Art is not subjective. Good art is good art, whether its a painting, sculpture, music, architecture, whatever. Whether one can or does appreciate good art may be different, but someone not liking Michaelangelo or Bach or Beethoven doesn't mean they failed to produce great works of art.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad