OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread | Can I Dance to It?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For me, the output is what matters. I'm gonna listen to the song and my opinion will be based on that. I don't care if the artist is a talentless hack if the song managed to turn out good. If 100 robots in a music factory put out good jams, I'll listen.

Last edited:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
That's exactly what pop is. Mass-produced and easily-consumable. It sounds like a criticism but it's not meant as one, it's just what the music is created to be. It's why music is freaking awesome as an obsession, there's literally almost anything out there for what your personal tastes are. You want epic musicianship and elite talent with an instrument? Listen to jazz.

And I don't know about 100 robots creating music but isn't Daft Punk made by 2? 98 to go.

Reactions: tom_servo

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
There are pop starts with talent and those without. Hand waving talent because you happen to like some mass produced song that was cool for 3 months isn’t really an argument

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Which is exactly my point about music. You're not into that scene and that is perfectly acceptable as a position. It's my personal one as well, frankly. There are people who are, lots of them, just look at the top-selling albums at any damn time. I'm not going to tell them to **** off because of it, just like I wouldn't want to be dismissed because I happen to be into progressive extreme metal from Australia, or whatever.

Which I am, by the way. Ne Obliviscaris are ****ing amazing.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Rihanna has a full, unique voice matched perfectly with rough edged pop/R&B production. Unlike many artists she didn't grow up adjacent to showbiz with an easy in unlike Billie Eilish (LA kid of people in the industry whose brother produces her songs). I don't get the "no talent" criticism.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
There are pop starts with talent and those without. Hand waving talent because you happen to like some mass produced song that was cool for 3 months isn’t really an argument

Ok. You just compared Billie Eilish to Adele (an opera house caliber talent) a page ago. Maybe you're not as good at spotting talent as you think.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Rihanna is pretty awful tbh. She does not write her own songs or lyrics (not sure where anyone gets that idea) nor is she is she a very talented singer

I wouldn't put my name to this either;

Work, work, work, work, work, work
You see me I be work, work, work, work, work, work
You see me do me dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt
There's something 'bout that work, work, work, work, work, work…

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't put my name to this either;

Work, work, work, work, work, work
You see me I be work, work, work, work, work, work
You see me do me dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt
There's something 'bout that work, work, work, work, work, work…

Probably hits different when it's sung properly.

Also, reading pop lyrics like it's Oscar Wilde... You're gonna have a bad time.

I think most lyrics are dumb and contrived to fit a sensibility and rhyme scheme. They're easily the least important part of a song for me.

Also -- this is like a dancehall track. Reggaeton. She's from Barbados. And there are also many more conventional lyrics in the track.

How many singers can convincingly do Bitch Better Have My Money.

Are you guys all my dad?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Ok. You just compared Billie Eilish to Adele (an opera house caliber talent) a page ago. Maybe you're not as good at spotting talent as you think.

Adele is not an operatic talent. She’s blown out her throat twice now due to bad technique. Even with proper training I don’t think she’d be an opera singer. Like Florence Welch, she has a big voice that stands out in a sea of mediocrity. And this also ignores my points of comparison (again).

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Rihanna has a full, unique voice matched perfectly with rough edged pop/R&B production. Unlike many artists she didn't grow up adjacent to showbiz with an easy in unlike Billie Eilish (LA kid of people in the industry whose brother produces her songs). I don't get the "no talent" criticism.

I didn’t say she has “no talent”. She’s a mediocre talent. She doesn’t sing that well, doesn’t play an instrument, doesn’t write music, doesn’t write lyrics. She’s just very marketable and labels are very good at convincing people what’s marketable is also talented.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Adele is not an operatic talent. She’s blown out her throat twice now due to bad technique. Even with proper training I don’t think she’d be an opera singer. Like Florence Welch, she has a big voice that stands out in a sea of mediocrity. And this also ignores my points of comparison (again).

What points of comparison? They both sing about heartbreak? Huge stretch to compare them in any meaningful way.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not really. The current dominance only goes back to the 80s

What? Sorry man, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it goes at least as far back as the early 30s, when movie companies would mass produce terrible hit songs that were in their terrible movies, and were promoted by their radio stations, which played those terrible songs nonstop just to make those terrible movies hits.

I just peer-reviewed an article about this shit. :laugh: :cry:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What does suck now, however, is the killing off of local radio and media which had the power to create weird local scenes back in the day.

But there’s absolutely loads of awful mass produced drek in music history.

Hell, John Philip Sousa was basically this same phenomenon in his day. Or tin-pin alley. :dunno:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
What? Sorry man, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it goes at least as far back as the early 30s, when movie companies would mass produce terrible hit songs that were in their terrible movies, and were promoted by their radio stations, which played those terrible songs nonstop just to make those terrible movies hits.

I just peer-reviewed an article about this ****. :laugh: :cry:

Maybe it was similar to Disney pimping out "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" or "You'll Be In My Heart" in the 90s. It happened, but the claims of its prevalence are overblown or misrepresented, i.e. - "Happy Days are Here Again" in 1930 being a song popular prior to the release of the film Chasing Rainbows. Often, the movies (musicals) were centered on an already popular song to drive attendance as films were still battling theatre for patrons, such as "Puttin' On the Ritz".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad