OT: The Second OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I had never seen this Hockey Night In Canada opening montage, from Bure jersey night, until this year. I can’t even believe how well the song and the video fit together. By the time you hit the “it’s like a rocket flight” line, with the tempo cranked up and Bure just blowing past people, it’s incredible the way I’m feeling while watching it.

I feel like CBC / HNIC used to have the most amazing hockey montages until Rogers took it all over.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I left for work this morning and wasn't outside for more then a few seconds and felt like I was inside a campfire.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So sad the border is closed. Celebrating this M’s win surrounded by Jays fans would be a peak moment of the year.

Always next year.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
So sad the border is closed. Celebrating this M’s win surrounded by Jays fans would be a peak moment of the year.

Always next year.
The Vancouver crowd there would have propelled them to victory.

Really, that crowd in Seattle is the best evidence you can get to prove that Vancouver is a MLB city.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

Always next year.
haha thats pretty savage and ordinarily i'd be right with you regarding Toronto teams in general, but this blue jays team is as likable a group of pro athletes as i've ever cheered for.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Entire city of Merritt on an Evacuation alert. Basically drive a bit past Hope and everything is on fire.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The border's closed, there's a pandemic, everything is on fire, and the notion of objective truth has been deliberately undermined to the point where ordinary people are grouped into tribes who believe in completely opposite realities. I don't think there are going to be any of the usual jokes about how shitty the present year is beyond this one because it's getting too weird and no one wants to tempt fate.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Entire city of Merritt on an Evacuation alert. Basically drive a bit past Hope and everything is on fire.
i was near Fintry earlier this week and was evacuated on Thursday. lots of fire visible from the highway south of Merritt for a 100km or so. It was a matter of time with the pine beetle ravaged forest throughout the region. I drive that highway (5 and 97) routinely and the number of dead trees is pretty astounding....is anyone surprised this is finally happening? it's been a disaster waiting to happen for like 20 years.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I managed to miss the heat wave down here that last couple of weeks thanks to the hip surgery essentially having me stuck at home. Hip arthroscopy, femoroplasty and labrum repair...same stuff Kucherov had end of December.

Today is my two week appt to have stiches removed. I've had to be no more than 10 lbs weight on the right leg these two weeks. Likely another 2 weeks of the same but I'll also be starting physical therapy today. Currently I still have a lot of numbness in the leg but it's progressively getting better (some degree of nerve damage is something that occurs in about 40% of cases).

But I will say this...I'm in much less pain today than I was the morning of the surgery so that's good. I'm expected to be pain free walking in another 4-6 weeks then another 3 months before returning to the ice and gym. essentially I have 3-5 months of physical therapy 3 times a week ahead of me.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The Vancouver crowd there would have propelled them to victory.

Really, that crowd in Seattle is the best evidence you can get to prove that Vancouver is a MLB city.

It's really not, Vancouver wouldn't be able to support an MLB team. Toronto is different because of its larger population

Reactions: Bubbles and m9

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's really not, Vancouver wouldn't be able to support an MLB team. Toronto is different because of its larger population
I doubt the environment is ready for a taxpayer funded new billion dollar arena with the economic situation in this city right now. Especially in light of the homeless (and other problems) here.

Reactions: Bubbles

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I feel like CBC / HNIC used to have the most amazing hockey montages until Rogers took it all over.
Yeah. They were able to generate hype because they had real hockey fans making them.

We’re in a very different era of hockey now where they nuke entire radio stations because of #s and f*** real hockey fans.

A very corporate hockey era where we see a global pandemic severely impacting a businesses business model which is causing a worsening adversarial relationship between management and players because nobody likes getting less money (which isn’t the biggest deal) and less term (which is a huge deal when it comes to how much emotion is a player willing to invest into a deadbeat team like the Canucks.)

Positive team emotion that is a requirement to win playoff games and Stanley Cups.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Vancouver fans going down for a 3 day weekend to watchtower what jays doesn’t indicate we could support them for 81 games a year.

I think we would be the 5th smallest market (2.4 mil in GVRD).

my numbers might be a bit off but we would be a small market

Reactions: m9 and Bubbles

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Vancouver fans going down for a 3 day weekend to watchtower what jays doesn’t indicate we could support them for 81 games a year.

The U.S. has a different measuring standard for Metro areas that cover a much wider area. Using that standard, Vancouver would be 2.8 million people. Thats plenty to support 2 of the big 4.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Agreed. I met a lot people when I did a one or two day trip. It's a fun trip to a different city. It's different on a rainy Tuesday in Vancouver.

It's not really a market thing either. Baseball is a declining sport. Not much grassroots here either other than Whalley little league.

Reactions: m9

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Agreed. I met a lot people when I did a one or two day trip. It's a fun trip to a different city. It's different on a rainy Tuesday in Vancouver.

It's not really a market thing either. Baseball is a declining sport. Not much grassroots here either other than Whalley little league.
Sad really. During the heyday of the Montreal Expos, you see a guy from Maple Ridge, Larry Walker, who is now in the Baseball Hall of Fame (a Hall of Fame that is *ALOT* harder to get in than say, the Hockey Hall of Fame). MLB though is dead to me since the Expos left Montreal (even during the peak Blue Jays period of winning championships, I was happy for them but my hearts just wasn't in it).

Reactions: Bubbles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad