Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
usless factoid of the day

British Columbia was NOT named after Christopher Columbas it came from a former US ship named the Columbia Rediviva. I see some tweets sayng there is a movement to change the provinces name--the ship was named after him---but the Province after the boat-mayebe splitting hairs--but there is a distincation for me. Like the Blackhawks are not named after the first nation tribe but a ww1 trank division

That's where you went wrong. Just because you see few people on or linked through twitter with extreme opinions does not mean there's an actual legitimate "movement" there. Christopher Columbus deserves his re-branding in the history books but that doesn't mean you'll get see any real traction to have our province renamed :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
what is your guys favourite season? i saw a poll with 1 mill votes that had winter at 37%. i dont understand how winter is the most well liked season.. its just cold and you never see people out and enjoying the day. go out on a summer bike ride and notice how many you see enjoying the day and outside talking to friends or neighbors.

You ever stop to consider some people are vampires and hate being out in the sun too much? Give me winter... which is barely even a winter in Vancouver where you can play outdoor soccer year round.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
what is your guys favourite season? i saw a poll with 1 mill votes that had winter at 37%. i dont understand how winter is the most well liked season.. its just cold and you never see people out and enjoying the day. go out on a summer bike ride and notice how many you see enjoying the day and outside talking to friends or neighbors.

T-1 - Summer and winter. Summer is self-explanatory. Winter is ski season and that's my life for 4 months.

3 - Spring. It's pleasant and the colours are great and it's nice to see everything springing back to life. Prime MTB season and still some spring skiing.

4 - Fall. It's brown, it rains, everything is dying, it's dark and getting darker, there is no skiing or biking, and there is really nothing to do except get fat watching TV. Plus for the first 20-something years of your life you have to go back to school. f*** off, Fall.

Reactions: David71

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
T-1 - Summer and winter. Summer is self-explanatory. Winter is ski season and that's my life for 4 months.

3 - Spring. It's pleasant and the colours are great and it's nice to see everything springing back to life. Prime MTB season and still some spring skiing.

4 - Fall. It's brown, it rains, everything is dying, it's dark and getting darker, there is no skiing or biking, and there is really nothing to do except get fat watching TV. Plus for the first 20-something years of your life you have to go back to school. f*** off, Fall.
But what about pumpkin-spice lattes?

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
1. spring/fall, when the calendar is just right you get those perfectly soggy september-october or april-may days where it is absolutely refreshing and beautiful to be outside. the leaves emerging or falling. also the spring days that are warm but have a big of crispness to them like winter's last breath; and conversely the warm fall days that have the crispness of winter around the corner. By far and away the best days

2. summer

3. Winter sucks.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
1) Fall - Love what it represents. Cold weather is tremendous, love the stability in my life that comes from football and school. Love all the seasonal ingredients for it, love the fashion for it. Nothing beats the feeling from getting home after a long day while it's gross and rainy, then huddling up and relaxing at home. Big fan of going for 2 hour walks at the local trails in this weather.

2) Winter - Pretty much the same feeling as fall but it can get KINDA old by February or so. Love snow but have to acknowledge that driving can suck in it.

3) Spring - Clear skies are nice for a few weeks or so, then get bored of it. Certain niche activities like seawall rollerblading that I enjoy doing.

4) Summer - Hot weather is gross and it's dragged out way too long. No sports, often where I don't have much to do and just have weird existential crises. I feel like Summer is just a more intense and worse spring. Also a weird contrast effect where everyone else seems to be happier than me.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
usless factoid of the day

British Columbia was NOT named after Christopher Columbas it came from a former US ship named the Columbia Rediviva. I see some tweets sayng there is a movement to change the provinces name--the ship was named after him---but the Province after the boat-mayebe splitting hairs--but there is a distincation for me. Like the Blackhawks are not named after the first nation tribe but a ww1 trank division

idk, feels like a chain of custody distinction to me.

changing the name of the province is relatively low on my list of priorities, but i kind of also don't get how a lot of people for whom this is inconceivable can't see that the name of our province is basically colonialist colonialism.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I will also add about winter - depending on your location if you're somewhere with an actual regular white winter (I grew up in Northern BC) there's a certain cleanliness to it. No dirt/dust/mud, no bugs or ****ing mosquitoes, everything's just covered in a nice clean blanket of white.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

We have the fanbase that can support the NBA in Canada but the players attitudes just suck.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Fall and winter are my favourite seasons. Summer is just kinda meh for me now. I’m not a big lake/boat person, I don’t like swimming so that’s basically the summer right there.

Give me winter where I can play hockey, and watch hockey. I’ll deal with the weather and shitstorm of snow.

Fall is underrated IMO. Colours of the trees are awesome, it just brings that thanksgiving feeling, love the crisp mornings.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Isn't he like 35 years old? What kind of ambitions can he have at this point? Front office job?:laugh:

His ambition is to re-join Trump country.

He has since apologized

My message basically, to all Toronto fans, is: I would like to apologize. It didn’t come out the right way. I know they love their team, and they should be proud, it is one of the best organizations in the NBA. They’ve already won a championship and I didn’t, so what I said, it was really inappropriate," Dragić said. “I love basketball, I love to play and I’m going to give 100 percent wherever I play. Right now, I’m [with] Toronto and that’s my main thing to think about.”

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'd like winter more I think if it wasn't so constantly grey. OTOH, the temperatures and constant wildfires are getting ridiculous. So I'll list my ideal conditions for any giving season and then rank them.

1. Spring - ideal conditions between 10-20C, on-off rain, playoff hockey, everything is green and coming to life.
2. Summer - ideal conditions between 20-30C, clear skies, sunny.
3. Winter - ideal conditions between -10 to 5C, snowy weather is consistent, none of this snow-rain crap that makes everything indecisive and miserable. Winter wonderland or bust.
4. Fall - At least hockey's back? I don't mind the early fall when it's fairly sunny but a nip to the air, but miss me with the constant rain in single digit temps. Ideal conditions: f*** yourself.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
4. Fall - At least hockey's back? I don't mind the early fall when it's fairly sunny but a nip to the air, but miss me with the constant rain in single digit temps. Ideal conditions: f*** yourself.

Ha, yeah. People act like the fall is 3 months of pleasant sunny 19 degree days with beautiful colours in the trees when actually that describes like the first 12 days before you get trapped in your house for 2.5 months of dreary pouring 7 degree rain with nothing to do.

It rained 30 of 31 days in the lower mainland in October a couple years ago and that was only slightly worse than normal.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I used to love summer in the interior and summer in Vancouver. Both seem ruined now, it sucks.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I absolutely hate the summer and it's entirely due to how badly my body handles heat. I've always enjoyed the sound and smell of rain so although it happens a lot, and more in Abbotsford than nearly anywhere else, I've never minded it. Now if there's a bunch of wind with that rain, well now I'm unhappy. The trick for me was having several indoor hobbies and develop new and expand on my old ones as I age. I've always been annoyed by people that complain about the rain here because the reason we had so much beautiful greenery was entirely because of the rain.

One of the weirder experiences for me was moving to Japan and experiencing the exact same types of season just more extreme. Summer were much hotter. Both winters I was there were record setters. Fall was just as rainy but far windier. Spring was the same but they had far less flowers in the city. On top of that there was Typhoon season which was...interesting.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The women's soccer gold was the best moment for me at the "2020" Olympics, but the medal that I thought had the most drama was Evan Dunfee's bronze in the 50km race walk. That unnatural "walking" movement looks funny but it becomes a diabolical form of torture over such a long distance and in such difficult conditions. Dunfee's comeback to place third after being literally bumped out of a bronze at Rio was a great story.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think my favourite moment of the Olympics was the SUPER underrated teenaged Tunisian swimmer who won Gold and the CBC announcers seemed so suprised and upset it wasnt someone from Canada US New Zealand Australia Europe to win gold they barely even talked about him thruout the race even tho he was right there the entire time HAHA

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I had never seen this Hockey Night In Canada opening montage, from Bure jersey night, until this year. I can’t even believe how well the song and the video fit together. By the time you hit the “it’s like a rocket flight” line, with the tempo cranked up and Bure just blowing past people, it’s incredible the way I’m feeling while watching it.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Spring seems to be the best season (April-May-June).

Hypothetically for the summer haters; if you can relocate to another city for 3 months during July-Sep. Where would it be?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Also another question, Vancouver is known for its mild winters. But if you can choose another city with more daylight during Dec-Feb where would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad