OT: The Second OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Sad really. During the heyday of the Montreal Expos, you see a guy from Maple Ridge, Larry Walker, who is now in the Baseball Hall of Fame (a Hall of Fame that is *ALOT* harder to get in than say, the Hockey Hall of Fame). MLB though is dead to me since the Expos left Montreal (even during the peak Blue Jays period of winning championships, I was happy for them but my hearts just wasn't in it).

I was just reading the attendance figures ( here ) and the Expos were the lowest attendance for five years leading to them leaving in 2004.

I still remember when I went those exhibition games in BC place in 94? That was also baseball at it's peak more or less. Putting a team in BC Place would be folly now.

Even a few year back I could name a few BC guys like Harden, Francis, Walker or Laurie. Now I can't barely name a Canadian guy in the leagues. Granted, I haven't watched a MLB game on TV in 5 years.

Reactions: Hit the post

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Agreed. I met a lot people when I did a one or two day trip. It's a fun trip to a different city. It's different on a rainy Tuesday in Vancouver.

It's not really a market thing either. Baseball is a declining sport. Not much grassroots here either other than Whalley little league.
Baseball is a huge part of the culture in this city. Surely you realize there is more than Whaley? A Metro Vancouver team goes to the LLWS every year. And there are countless softball leagues

And 20 000 people showing up in a city that’s a border and 3 hour drive away is no small thing. It’s a pretty good indicator that this city would support mlb. Getting stadium built is the tricky part. Build a AAA park that is upgradeable to MLB standards, like they have in Buffalo.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Baseball might be able to survive in Vancouver if it had a boutique 40k retro waterfront stadium which was part of the draw.

In BC Place, absolutely zero chance. And the odds the required stadium gets built in the next 25 years are basically non-existent, so this discussion is a moot point.

Reactions: Bubbles

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
RIP Don Everly of the Everly Brothers. He died on Saturday, age 84.

Loved their music as a kid, and right up to the present. Wishing you sweet harmonies again with brother Phil.

Reactions: Hit the post

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Baseball is a huge part of the culture in this city. Surely you realize there is more than Whaley? A Metro Vancouver team goes to the LLWS every year. And there are countless softball leagues

And 20 000 people showing up in a city that’s a border and 3 hour drive away is no small thing. It’s a pretty good indicator that this city would support mlb. Getting stadium built is the tricky part. Build a AAA park that is upgradeable to MLB standards, like they have in Buffalo.

How exactly is it a "huge" part of the culture? Just because there's participation in rec leagues, it doesn't mean these translate to ticket buyers.

They should have let them build that Whitecaps waterfront stadium. Instead it got caught in govt red tape and a bunch of NIMBYs in Gastown. Gastown is so much better now! :sarcasm:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
TSN 2 has some wild espn sports on the next few hours.
Will definitely be switching to death diving world championship during jays. Commercials.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The U.S. has a different measuring standard for Metro areas that cover a much wider area. Using that standard, Vancouver would be 2.8 million people. Thats plenty to support 2 of the big 4.

Really; I didn’t know that. Do you know how/why they are different?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Even a few year back I could name a few BC guys like Harden, Francis, Walker or Laurie. Now I can't barely name a Canadian guy in the leagues. Granted, I haven't watched a MLB game on TV in 5 years.

Well to be fair, the active list is short.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Baseball Canada has a list of 16 Canadian MLB players although that includes Vladimir Guerrero Jr., somewhat dubiously.

Freddie Freeman too who, while has Canadian citizenship and plays for Canada internationally, has never lived in Canada.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Baseball Canada has a list of 16 Canadian MLB players although that includes Vladimir Guerrero Jr., somewhat dubiously.

Freddie Freeman too who, while has Canadian citizenship and plays for Canada internationally, has never lived in Canada.

They also list Joey Votto who would otherwise be the best Canadian baseball player since Walker. But he did basically say F*** Canada (although he later apologized).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They also list Joey Votto who would otherwise be the best Canadian baseball player since Walker. But he did basically say F*** Canada (although he later apologized).

He apologized immediately and it was actually one of the more insightful, quality, introspective apologies I've ever seen.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He apologized immediately and it was actually one of the more insightful, quality, introspective apologies I've ever seen.

Here's the report, for those that don't know.

"Clearly my reply came out of a side of jealousy for a Canadian baseball athlete being celebrated in the city of Toronto," he wrote. "It was an odd reply and one I am terribly ashamed of. I go back to Toronto each off-season and feel renewed every time I cross the border to my home and native land. I would not be where I am now without the efforts of so many Canadian baseball people and the fans of Canadian baseball.

"To James Paxton, the Blue Jays, the Toronto fans, the women and men all across Canada that work so hard to promote and support Canadian baseball, I am sorry for my selfish comments and I humbly ask for your forgiveness."

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yes. It was a very good apology but you wonder how he truly feels though. His diss on Canada, Canadian baseball, and Toronto wasn't a one-off comment subject to interpretation. He elaborated on it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Now there are more Canadian NBA guys than MLB guys and excellent ones at that. Not just the bill Wellington’s anymore.

Ya that's not surprising. It's much easier to play year round and you don't really need anyone else to work on your game. It's also not as glamorous being a baseball star (unless you're in a star player on the Yankees).

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

It's really not, there's nowhere enough interest and support for Vancouver to support an MLB team.

Reactions: m9

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's really not, there's nowhere enough interest and support for Vancouver to support an MLB team.

We could realistically fill up a 30k stadium for a baseball game. Now doing that over a season? Lol never. Baseball fans in this city are super casual.

Reactions: DFAC

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
We could realistically fill up a 30k stadium for a baseball game. Now doing that over a season? Lol never. Baseball fans in this city are super casual.
How did you come to the conclusion baseball fans here are super casual? Even on the Friday game, when the Jays are in Seattle, there are still 20 000 people from Metro Vancouver and Southeast BC there. That’s not casual when you are taking the day off work or leaving early so you can travel 3 hours to catch the Friday night game. And the crowds are there right through the week-end.

The census numbers haven’t come out yet, but the Lower Mainland population (still a smaller sample size than US metro areas) is at 2.9 million people. That’s the 22 larger Metro area in the US and Canada. Plenty enough to support MLB. Milwaukee is half the size of the Lower Mainland and they support 2 major league teams.

If we had a stadium, we would be a front runner for expansion or relocation. Stadium is an issue, but as I said, a stepped approach would work. Build a AAA stadium that is upgradeable to MLB standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA