OT: The Second OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Watching the DimJim managed Canucks would drive me to drink.:laugh:

Yeah, granted this was 2013-2018 so probably it was a bit different in the years before but I never got the sense living downtown that anyone cared about the Canucks. If the Canucks were playing on a Sunday they always took a backseat to the NFL, for example.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah, granted this was 2013-2018 so probably it was a bit different in the years before but I never got the sense living downtown that anyone cared about the Canucks. If the Canucks were playing on a Sunday they always took a backseat to the NFL, for example.
I could be wrong but if there were no office pools/legalized betting, the NFL wouldn't be anywhere nearly as popular. Seems the actual game is secondary at times. But again, I could be off my rocker.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Losing bleeds fan interest. Pubs would be happy to have a game night if people are coming out for it, and there probably are still some doing it today, but with less people coming out for games fewer pubs are going to do so. Canuck fans that still want to watch games at a pub probably have their specific places to go, so just walking into a random bar and expecting to see that isn't always the best indicator of things.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Losing bleeds fan interest. Pubs would be happy to have a game night if people are coming out for it, and there probably are still some doing it today, but with less people coming out for games fewer pubs are going to do so. Canuck fans that still want to watch games at a pub probably have their specific places to go, so just walking into a random bar and expecting to see that isn't always the best indicator of things.

It’s pretty much the best indicator I can think of, in this context. What you said is not true everywhere.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
When I lived in Vancouver from 2008-2009 I would go to bars downtown and I’d have to ask to get the Canucks put on a TV. I remember a time I went into one that had like 20+ TVs and all were on random things but not one was on the Canucks v Sharks game. That was incredible to me seeing as both teams were some of the best in the league.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
When I lived in Vancouver from 2008-2009 I would go to bars downtown and I’d have to ask to get the Canucks put on a TV. I remember a time I went into one that had like 20+ TVs and all were on random things but not one was on the Canucks v Sharks game. That was incredible to me seeing as both teams were some of the best in the league.
Vasili was 16.:sarcasm:

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
I could be wrong but if there were no office pools/legalized betting, the NFL wouldn't be anywhere nearly as popular. Seems the actual game is secondary at times. But again, I could be off my rocker.

there are hockey/baseball/nba pools none of these sports are as popular.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fantasy football/gambling definitely gave the NFL a massive push in markets where they didn't have a team like Vancouver. On top of that, the success of the Seahawks really got people into the team from 2003-2007 into now.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Not to the same level as the NFL though. You see lots of people on those NFL office pools that don't even watch any of the games let alone be a "fan" of a particular team.

Again, imho.

I mean it’s not to the same level because the sports are t popular. You say the NFL is popular because of betting, but could it be it is so heavily bet because it’s the most popular.

I think the NFL is popular for multiple reasons. Every game is important, playoffs are 1 game, you can follow the sport easily by watching once a week.

The nhl/nba/mlb you can win or lose ten games in a row and it doesn’t really matter you can make them up because the seasons are so long. Makes the stakes seem less important.

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria
Im back after a long hiatus. Not that anyone knows me. Haven't been on HFBoards in 3 years.

Started this account when I was 15. Im 30 now. Wow.

Go Canucks Go

What brought you back? Its good to see people coming back, as it has felt of late as though it has become a wash, rinse, repeat cycle of the same few people arguing the same points across different topics lol, good to see some fresh perspective.

CANUCKS

Aug 10, 2005
British Columbia
www.nhl.com
What brought you back? Its good to see people coming back, as it has felt of late as though it has become a wash, rinse, repeat cycle of the same few people arguing the same points across different topics lol, good to see some fresh perspective.

Nothing in particular, honestly just got too busy to dicuss with others on the internet. Mostly just relied on sports radio and friends for NHL/Canucks talk. But I have some of that time back now and looking forward to contributing to some solid discussion .

Reactions: Stormblessed

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
4 weeks post-Kucherov surgery today on my right hip.

PT going well.

No lifting or carrying over 10lbs until 3 months post-surgery

cleared to do 25% weight bearing on the right side with gradually increasing to 50% over the next 7-10 days (depending on soreness).

Another couple of weeks before I’m allowed to start bending beyond 90 degrees.

On target for full range bodyweight squats sometime between weeks 12-16 post-op. This will be followed by specific exercise to get me back to hockey and into the gym with the trainer. Hoping for that clearance near the end of December to mid January. 5-6 month post-op. I’m on the “athlete” recovery program with the doctor given I was very active before (fat but active). Set backs will push back to 6-7 month recovery. Not expected to feel truly 100% for 9-12 months.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I don't have the same experience of many of you all. Whenever I've been DownTown Vancouver during Canucks games, they've been all over the TVs everywhere. Almost always with sound systems hooked up to the feed as well.

Maybe you all go only to the weirdo Oilers bar.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

PT going well.

cleared to do 25% weight bearing on the right side with gradually increasing to 50% over the next 7-10 days (depending on soreness).

On target for full range bodyweight squats sometime between weeks 12-16 post-op. This will be followed by specific exercise to get me back to hockey and into the gym with the trainer. Hoping for that clearance near the end of December to mid January. 5-6 month post-op. I’m on the “athlete” recovery program with the doctor given I was very active before (fat but active). Set backs will push back to 6-7 month recovery. Not expected to feel truly 100% for 9-12 months.
Good luck Tants, hows the recovery in relation to your job? Do you have flexibility with light duty?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Good luck Tants, hows the recovery in relation to your job? Do you have flexibility with light duty?

Most of what I do now is desk work (program managing, customer technical support). I've been out of hands on R&D work in the lab for a few years. Sitting for long periods isn't terrifically comfortable yet (can only drive to and from PT really as well). Though I have a new pillow which allows my knees to be a few inches lower than my hips (i.e. less than a 90 degree bend) so i'll see how that goes. But I only actually missed 4 days. Surgery on Tuesday back to work from my bed on Monday. The first week back I wasn't particularly effective given I was still on narcotics....

"Luckily" Covid has made working from home the norm and our company has adopted very flexible work hours that essentially just say work 40 h week and/or get your work done. We don't care when you do it. So I've been working 4 x 10 for most of the last year. The SVP of our business group has actually provided guidance to not set meetings on friday to allow for 4x10 weeks.

I haven't been able to play guitar since the surgery which sucks but I'll start getting back to that this week as a I can finally manage to sit long enough to make practice worthwhile.

But it's been worth it so far. The reduction in pain and gain in strength is already better compared to pre-op. I did the surgery because I was in danger of nerve damage and muscle degradation (I had numbness for months down to the my toes and was losing strength in the leg). It's a pretty serious surgery and decision to make. What I had was hip arthroscopy, femuroplasty (i.e. remove growths and spurs on the ball and socket), and Labrum repair (torn cartiledge on the socket portion). Complications are fairly rare but they include things like:
-permanent nerve damage
-breaking of the femural head
-permenent muscle loss
-deep vein thrombosis
-failure to be able to stitch the torn labrum back into place so it gets trimmed instead and this can end up accelerating arthritis and hip replacement

Failure to do the surgery in my case basically meant not being able to do anything because of the pain and numbness. This would have put my in line for hip replacement in the next 18-24 months. Hopefully I can get another 10 years out of it now given I have very little arthritis in it at this stage (most wait too long).

It's sort of why I laugh at the upset over Kucherov. This isn't some surgery to do for fun. You do it because you have to do it at some point in the near future and it does carry career ending risk. It also has this long timeline to recovery even for the most athletic people in the world. This wasn't a quick snip and he's able to play 2 weeks later. It's a quick snip and you aren't fully off crutches for nearly 2 months and not back in the gym doing anything with weights for 5. He wasn't sitting around healthy and truly ready to go for months before the playoffs. The normal timeline of return was when the playoffs began (and matches the recovery timeline Point had when he had the same surgery). Sure Tampa played the LTIR game but it's the same game teams play at the deadline when they have a long term injury that returns for the first round.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

PT going well.

Hip replacement?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hip replacement?

I added to my post and mentioned bit more but I'll put it here so you don't need to dig through the entire thing! I'm verbose today.

Not hip replacement.

Hip arthroscopy with femoroplasty and labrum repair in my right hip. Essentially they put me in traction to pop the hip joint, fill the space with water and air and then go in to reshape the ball and socket. I had bone spurs, calcium deposits and Femoroacetabular Impingement (i.e. a bone growth on the ball portion that tore the labrum...cartilage surrounding the socket). They then were able to stitch my labrum back into place. My surgeon trained in Minnesota and he simply calls it the hockey player problem....

It was done to avoid a hip replacement for another 5-10 years. Hopefully it works but it may not. In my case it was better to try this first because I have only a small amount or arthritis in the right hip. Letting it go would have likely meant delamination of the labrum which if that happens you are on the fast track for a new hip. If it doesn't work I still am going to get some time without pain and discomfort....something I haven't had for nearly 10 years. These 4 weeks alone have been worth the trouble. I wish I was kidding but I'm not.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I added to my post and mentioned bit more but I'll put it here so you don't need to dig through the entire thing! I'm verbose today.

Not hip replacement.

Hip arthroscopy with femoroplasty and labrum repair in my right hip. Essentially they put me in traction to pop the hip joint, fill the space with water and air and then go in to reshape the ball and socket. I had bone spurs, calcium deposits and Femoroacetabular Impingement (i.e. a bone growth on the ball portion that tore the labrum...cartilage surrounding the socket). They then were able to stitch my labrum back into place. My surgeon trained in Minnesota and he simply calls it the hockey player problem....

It was done to avoid a hip replacement for another 5-10 years. Hopefully it works but it may not. In my case it was better to try this first because I have only a small amount or arthritis in the right hip. Letting it go would have likely meant delamination of the labrum which if that happens you are on the fast track for a new hip. If it doesn't work I still am going to get some time without pain and discomfort....something I haven't had for nearly 10 years. These 4 weeks alone have been worth the trouble. I wish I was kidding but I'm not.

Cool. Hope everything works out.

My right hip went on me at a young age. Hip replacement at UBC. It has worked out much better than I thought it would. 1.5 years post op, and my hip and leg feel as strong as ever.

Reactions: tantalum

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Cool. Hope everything works out.

My right hip went on me at a young age. Hip replacement at UBC. It has worked out much better than I thought it would. 1.5 years post op, and my hip and leg feel as strong as ever.

That's usually what you hear. People being worried going into it and soon after saying "why didn't I do this sooner?!!"

The only ones I've personally encountered that "had trouble" didn't follow the recovery and PT plan portion of things.

Glad to hear you are doing well with it!

Damn Tantalum.....it hurts me just reading that. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

And yet it's sooo much better than 5 weeks ago before the surgery. My strength tests day before the surgery were 0/5 to 2/5. These are simple things like sit on a solid surface. Lift your thigh up against someones hand applying a small resistance. I scored a 0...I couldn't lift the right side even 1 mm with no applied resistance. 2 weeks post-op check up I scored 5/5 across all of the tests. It was that dramatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: