OT: The Second OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Got up early this morning to watch the men's 4x100m relay, and the women's gold medal match. Not disappointed! The relay was intense, props to the team and De Grasse for pulling off a hard won medal in a very challenging event. Super stoked for Sinclair to finally get the gold she deserves! That game sure wasn't much to watch at least until the shootout. I'm definitely not a soccer guy but I can appreciate top end effort in anything. Gutsy performances from Canadian athletes to round out the Games.

Reactions: Lindgren

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Amazing game from the women's team, I felt so proud to watch that. Sinclair and Buchanan are all class and the young players like Fleming and Grosso have such a bright future. It wasn't a pretty road to gold but no one cares what it looks like when you win. Really feels like footy is on the rise finally in this country. Can't wait for the men's WCQ.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What an ending so much up and downs in that shootout.

Vancouver girl with the winner.
Seems like most major soccer tournaments end in a shootout. Just had the Euro final with England and Italy go to a shootout as well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
usless factoid of the day

British Columbia was NOT named after Christopher Columbas it came from a former US ship named the Columbia Rediviva. I see some tweets sayng there is a movement to change the provinces name--the ship was named after him---but the Province after the boat-mayebe splitting hairs--but there is a distincation for me. Like the Blackhawks are not named after the first nation tribe but a ww1 trank division

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Im just here waiting for 4 day work weeks. I can't afford a house to start out with why should I be forced to work 5/7 days a week on wage that is 50% less (when accounting for inflation) then what my parents made and has even less buying power

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

British Columbia was NOT named after Christopher Columbas it came from a former US ship named the Columbia Rediviva. I see some tweets sayng there is a movement to change the provinces name--the ship was named after him---but the Province after the boat-mayebe splitting hairs--but there is a distincation for me. Like the Blackhawks are not named after the first nation tribe but a ww1 trank division

This seems like a pointless distinction to me considering their logo.

Reactions: Red

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

My opinion, of course, is that this trend to rename whatever is getting out of control. Are they going to rename the Columbia river? Maybe the country of Colombia?

We should keep B.C. and instead name it Before Canada. So we can call us Before Canadians. :huh:

Reactions: hoglanderisbeast

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Just finished binge watching all of How I Met Your Mother with my oldest (turns 12 this month). I had watched every episode of that show religiously but never saw the finale after the ending got spoiled for me and I was put out with it.

But I’ve got to say - binging the show, having all the episodes pretty fresh in mind when the finale arrived, it landed a lot better than I ever thought it would.

I’d forgotten just how many excellent musical moments the show had. Let’s go to the Mall, Bang Bangity Bang, Nothing Suits me Like a Suit, Barney Stinson That Guy’s Awesome, Murdertrain…good times.

Reactions: Pip

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just finished binge watching all of How I Met Your Mother with my oldest (turns 12 this month). I had watched every episode of that show religiously but never saw the finale after the ending got spoiled for me and I was put out with it.

But I’ve got to say - binging the show, having all the episodes pretty fresh in mind when the finale arrived, it landed a lot better than I ever thought it would.

I’d forgotten just how many excellent musical moments the show had. Let’s go to the Mall, Bang Bangity Bang, Nothing Suits me Like a Suit, Barney Stinson That Guy’s Awesome, Murdertrain…good times.

It definitely stretched out longer than needed and the ending is a mess, but lots of good moments along the way.

Reactions: Pip

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I did that a few months ago. I don't think it's suitable for a 12 year old though. :DD

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I did that a few months ago. I don't think it's suitable for a 12 year old though. :DD
I think some of the jokes would go over a 12 year old’s head and maybe the show couldn’t fully be appreciated by someone who’s 12, bur the overall themes and content weren’t “above age” by any stretch imo. Like, that’s the age I remember everyone reeallly started to go from Family Channel to Degrassi type shows when.

Reactions: F A N

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think some of the jokes would go over a 12 year old’s head and maybe the show couldn’t fully be appreciated by someone who’s 12, bur the overall themes and content weren’t “above age” by any stretch imo. Like, that’s the age I remember everyone reeallly started to go from Family Channel to Degrassi type shows when.

That’s pretty much the leap my son did. He went from Boy Meets World/Girl Meets World to How I Met Your Mother. :laugh: Some of the innuendo probably went over his head, but there was more than enough slapstick humour / innocent comedy that he enjoyed it.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
It definitely stretched out longer than needed and the ending is a mess, but lots of good moments along the way.

Agreed, I really tried to watch it through to the end but only got up to season 7 before it got old and boring

If you guys need a good series to watch, Animal Kingdom is fantastic.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
what is your guys favourite season? i saw a poll with 1 mill votes that had winter at 37%. i dont understand how winter is the most well liked season.. its just cold and you never see people out and enjoying the day. go out on a summer bike ride and notice how many you see enjoying the day and outside talking to friends or neighbors.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Im just here waiting for 4 day work weeks. I can't afford a house to start out with why should I be forced to work 5/7 days a week on wage that is 50% less (when accounting for inflation) then what my parents made and has even less buying power

I'm no expert, but I would expect that a 4 day work week would happen relatively soon (in the next 20 years?). We are getting close to having autonomous vehicles, and once that happens, a lot of people who drive for work will be out of a job, like truckers, bus drivers, delivery etc. Amazon has some fully automated warehouses, though that system isn't widespread, but it will be, and that will replace a lot of jobs.

Automation will continue to advance to the point that there simply won't be enough jobs to sustain a 5 day work week. Eventually governments will have to provide its citizens a guaranteed minimum income (welfare for everybody!). The dream scenario would be not to have to work, while receiving a government paid income that allows you to live comfortably.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
what is your guys favourite season? i saw a poll with 1 mill votes that had winter at 37%. i dont understand how winter is the most well liked season.. its just cold and you never see people out and enjoying the day. go out on a summer bike ride and notice how many you see enjoying the day and outside talking to friends or neighbors.

I mean where do those people live? When I lived in Texas I spent winter laying by the pool getting a tan.

Summer was miserable, too hot and humid and nobody wanted to go outside.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Where did you see this…and what good will it do, just imagine the money spent to rebrand the province that could be better spent elsewhere

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

A lot of people love skiing/snowboarding/skating/etc.

I am not one of those people.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I work a 4 day schedule and can confirm, it's the best. I'd never be able to go back.

4 on 5 off. Yeah I work 12 hrs days but they fly by.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
My fave season is a tie - spring and autumn - sunshine coming without the heat. As I get older, I find the heat, even what passes for heat in Vancouver, very uncomfortable.

I don't mind winter at all, except when the roads and sidewalks get icy. The colder air is invigorating. I have also come to appreciate rain - manna from heaven. All in all, Vancouver is a good place to live for extreme moderates like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad