The Search For a GM II: 2nd Round of Interviews Under Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I believe it's been mentioned a couple times by various posters here. Unless we all of a sudden get to build a team with an expansion draft I don't see the huge appeal in McCrimmon.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he has more interest in a Seattle job than an Edmonton one considering the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: he's stuck with here.

I donno. But I don't really like the idea of Hunter either.

I think I'm just eternally pessimistic at this point. If there is 3 good guys available and 1 dud I feel like you can put money down on the Oilers picking the dud 10 times out of 10.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I believe it's been mentioned a couple times by various posters here. Unless we all of a sudden get to build a team with an expansion draft I don't see the huge appeal in McCrimmon.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he has more interest in a Seattle job than an Edmonton one considering the ***** he's stuck with here.

I think I'm just eternally pessimistic at this point. If there is 3 good guys available and 1 dud I feel like you can put money down on the Oilers picking the dud 10 times out of 10.

Gillis.

Reactions: TB12 and Joey Moss

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Also wouldn't be surprised if he has more interest in a Seattle job than an Edmonton one considering the ***** he's stuck with here.

Mainly I’m just happy that burgers won’t have any built in excuses for failure. “We wanted to interview other candidates but Our preferences weren’t available so we just stuck with K Gretz”

bRonxer

Apr 21, 2019
I know it’s been a pretty tough season to be an Oilers fan but these playoffs might have been perfect so far ..

Calgary - Lose in first round (Ugh, how sweet it is)
Toronto - Lose in first round (Now what will TSN talk about?)
Vegas - Lose in first round (Now we have the chance to potentially interview McCrimmon)

Might be the perfect first round!

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hilarious how little credit vegas is given for what they have accomplished. People act as if they were just handed a group of all stars. For sure they were given a much better deal than previous expansion teams but it is pure jealousy to down grade them. If anything it shows what you can do with some astute gming, a great coach and a well run organization.

It instantly eliminates the LEGION of excuses tossed about by more established teams (like the oilers).

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I know it’s been a pretty tough season to be an Oilers fan but these playoffs might have been perfect so far ..

Vegas - Lose in first round (Now we have the chance to potentially interview McCrimmon)

Winnipeg losing is nice too. No more Canadian teams, the drought continues.

Reactions: frag2

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hilarious how little credit vegas is given for what they have accomplished. People act as if they were just handed a group of all stars. For sure they were given a much better deal than previous expansion teams but it is pure jealousy to down grade them. If anything it shows what you can do with some astute gming, a great coach and a well run organization.

It instantly eliminates the LEGION of excuses tossed about by more established teams (like the oilers).

Knights are built primarily on players acquired through trades and signings. The expansion draft is what facilitated a lot of those trades, but the fact remains that they were better at identifying talent than the teams they were trading with, which... would be a novel concept in Edmonton.

Only caveat I would throw in is that their staff also had the massive bonus of coming in with a clean cap, whereas anybody coming to the Oilers will be dealing with a garbage fire in that regard.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Knights are built primarily on players acquired through trades and signings. The expansion draft is what facilitated a lot of those trades, but the fact remains that they were better at identifying talent than the teams they were trading with, which... would be a novel concept in Edmonton.

Only caveat I would throw in is that their staff also had the massive bonus of coming in with a clean cap, whereas anybody coming to the Oilers will be dealing with a garbage fire in that regard.
How he built the knights and how he would build the oilers is not comparable.

We don’t have anyone trying to pawn their second line on us so they save money and we don’t pick petrovic

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I also don’t get the McCrimmon love, Vegas had the easiest model to build around with no salary cap. Also don’t say “well they identified hidden talent”, no they didn’t, they took the BPA from most teams and ripped off other for picks. Even they were expecting nothing like what happened with the players they picked to happen. He’s more just in a right place right time scenario. If Vegas had stumbled like everyone thought, even them, there’s no way he a candidate for us. We need someone with experience first had in making trades, and a good knowledge of the salary cap. People think McCrimmon has all the answers from a lot of luck going his way, Gretzky has more answers after watching Chia and learning what not to do

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

This is such bull, Vegas didn’t identify all that talent to a tee, they picked BPA, stockpiled picks to tank, and trade to trade said players they picked BPA for picks to continue tanking. They had no idea a guy like William Karlsson, or Nate Schmidt would break out like they did, no idea. On top of that they haven’t had to try to attract talent to Vegas either with the desire to play there now either, nothing like he will experience in Edmonton. Our situations couldn’t be more polar opposites. We need a cap cleanup expert, a very good trade swindler, and someone who is going to sell a dog**** team and market to FAs.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Matthews fashion sense

Reactions: TB12 and Bretzky

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Is this true? Anyone listen to the shows?

Not that it's telling us much of anything but at least it does, somewhat anyway, sound like the Oilers are doing their due diligence

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

Is this true? Anyone listen to the shows?

Not that it's telling us much of anything but at least it does, somewhat anyway, sound like the Oilers are doing their due diligence

Could be true and could be something as simple as would you be interested? If not then we both move on in are directions .if you are we will interview you. Not really tampering when it could be that simple

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Peter Chiarelli took the job here because he got the autonomy of being President and GM, where he was regularly overruled by Cam Neely in Boston. This was reported by Bob McKenzie the day he was hired.

We have never seriously heard ANYTHING from any insider about Chiarelli not being able to alter his staff. The simple fact that Nicholson, after almost no time in the Oilers employ, fired and replaced Craig MacTavish only a couple days after MacT gave a smug, smiley outline for his offseason plans should be a big enough ding in the theory that he was kept on as a mandate from Nicholson or Katz.

But even if you persist with these conspiracy theories and want to rationalize Chiarelli's failures on staff he had no choice but to keep, MOST of what he failed with had his fingerprints all over it. From the Hall trade, to his fascination with Manning, to his insistence to get bigger and the expense of skill, to his handling of contracts for mid-level players and how it poisoned the cap. You can follow his career from Boston and totally connect his disasterous moves in Edmonton with his own career pattern.

Like I said in an earlier post, the last four GMs of the Oilers are clear failures, but are failures in their own way. Chiarelli, and nobody else, is the chief architect of the 18/19 Oilers and their problems. (that doesn't mean the OBC shouldn't be shown the door).
But do you think he was surrounded by a diverse staff? Answer the question.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This doesn't make sense to me. Before the start of last year, all the analysts, most fans, and most all the pundits had Vegas marked for a bottom five finish. All season everyone kept saying they couldn't keep it up, and they did. All post season everyone said they wouldn't make it, and they did.

How is an extremely hard working and well coached team full of throw togethers that beat the snot out of every well established team in the league a black mark on the league?

It wasn't until after their run that everyone started turning around and saying "They were gifted an elite team, everything was given to them it was unfair." Does anyone believe right now that William Karlsson or Nate Schmidt or Dave Engelland or Cody Eakin are superstar players? I sure don't. I see a team and a coach who have a plan and know how to execute it. After this post season it would appear many teams in the league need to take a look at Vegas and how they do things.

Even with that all said about them being "gifted" a team, they still added a whole freaking 1st line this season without the benefit of the expansion rules so it's not like the team was built entirely through the expansion draft.

Anyway, based on what Rishaug and a few others are saying, McCrimmon played a big part in that process and has developed a lot of contacts around the league so he definitely has the qualities to be a GM outside of being gifted a team which I don't buy anyway since they had to make a lot of shrewd moves to add through the expansion draft like the fleecings of the Panthers and Wild namely. It wasn't like they were handed Reilly Smith, Alex Tuch and Shea Theodore. They had to make a lot of astute trades to fill out the roster, it's not like they just plucked whoever was left unprotected and left it at that.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
But do you think he was surrounded by a diverse staff? Answer the question.

Chia thought Spooner was part of the solution despite, allegedly, his subordinates telling him otherwise. Both Spec and Stauff ripped into Chia for making that call. It just highlighted how dysfunctional management was top down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad