The Search For a GM II: 2nd Round of Interviews Under Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I believe Nicholson has his GM selection down to 2-3 guys & was waiting to see if Vegas was eliminated last night. He is going to be talking to McCrimmon and a decision forthcoming hopefully by the end of next week at the latest.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Is this true? Anyone listen to the shows?

Not that it's telling us much of anything but at least it does, somewhat anyway, sound like the Oilers are doing their due diligence

I wonder if the agent for McCrimmon contacted the Oilers and said don't hire anyone yet. Don't think that would be tampering.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
So it looks like it's between hunter and McCrimmon I guess. Only 2 names really talked about

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How he built the knights and how he would build the oilers is not comparable.

We don’t have anyone trying to pawn their second line on us so they save money and we don’t pick petrovic
Yes but McCrimmon was able to identify talent that was being underused. That is what the Oilers need to do. They can't afford to swing for the fences. They can, however, take shots at 3rd liners pushed down thru depth who aren't being used to their abilities. Guys who are buried by depth or miscast in a grinder role etc. It's a major talent to identify that.
If we also keep Gretzky the 2 of them have the pro and the amateur side down.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Can't wait to run the next GM out of town
giphy.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So basically this means that he has about a 2 day window to talk to the players, GM, POHO, etc. before wrapping up everything for the most part prior to the draft so that he can be interviewed.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Is this true? Anyone listen to the shows?

Not that it's telling us much of anything but at least it does, somewhat anyway, sound like the Oilers are doing their due diligence

Here comes the Oilers being penalized a few picks in the draft.

It is the Oiler way.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yes but McCrimmon was able to identify talent that was being underused. That is what the Oilers need to do. They can't afford to swing for the fences. They can, however, take shots at 3rd liners pushed down thru depth who aren't being used to their abilities. Guys who are buried by depth or miscast in a grinder role etc. It's a major talent to identify that.
If we also keep Gretzky the 2 of them have the pro and the amateur side down.

I do agree with you. The Oilers really do need to identity talent and fill out their roster. Swinging for the fences isnt going to work unless you are absolutely sure what you are getting back in return is going to be better.

Only thing I would say is that Nicholson should be asking the questions of what McCrimmon did for Vegas, because it could be possible that the majority of those decisions werent from McCrimmon. The Paul Fentory scenario, who seems like a dud thus far, has to be considered.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I do agree with you. The Oilers really do need to identity talent and fill out their roster. Swinging for the fences isnt going to work unless you are absolutely sure what you are getting back in return is going to be better.

Only thing I would say is that Nicholson should be asking the questions of what McCrimmon did for Vegas, because it could be possible that the majority of those decisions werent from McCrimmon. The Paul Fentory scenario, who seems like a dud thus far, has to be considered.
They discussed this on the radio. McCrimmon and McPhee each took a conference and went from their for the expansion draft

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
sir are u not doing the same thing ? Last years playoffs was just as small a sample. I regret to inform you, but u are a hypocrite good sir

So players don't play seasons anymore? Hes been a stud his whole NHL career, hence, why I called him a stud in the post.
Pickpocketing his last 4 games is a dishonest tactic and clearly a what have done for me lately argument

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
There becomes a point where you can't really tell who's going to really be the best option from our perspective.
If only we could listen to these guys being interviewed. I've love to hear their perspectives, and ideas.

I think there are some good options out there. Hunter, McCrimmon, Verbeek.
That said, I don't think I'd be as excited about ... say a Futa, Gillis, etc type.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
If the caps get eliminated tonight Mahoney is another guy who would be a good fit here. We have some of the best possible options with how the 1st round went, and if Bobby Burgers somehow justifies Keith G over all the available candidates I'm done.

Reactions: 780il

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hunter scares the crap out of me. OHL London is a financial powerhouse that has a lot of “home field” advantages in recruiting. The Eastern media pumps his tires to no end, but when you look at his actual NHL draft record, it’s pretty damned mediocre. Reminds me of Eakins. Lol. McCrimmon has a good record with Brandon and a good record in Vegas. He’ll “get” the Edmonton market. The only thing we dont know about him is his contract negotiation savvy. He is my pick or, failing that, Verbeek. I dont want KGretz. He has been in the room when too many obvious Chiarelli train wrecks were being created plus the Koskinen contract. He also sounded clueless in too many interviews. Bad vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad