The Search For a GM II: 2nd Round of Interviews Under Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I have no idea why he's holding things up. The guy has no professional resumé.

He can't interview until Vegas gives the Oilers the okay to talk to him and they already announced they won't do that until the playoffs are over.

Doesn't hurt for the Oilers to want to speak to him considering his time with the Brandon Wheat Kings and now with Vegas.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
ya possibly. we have Connor but we also have cap issues. Most of all we have, working against us, the obc still around. I don't think it would be palatable for any GM candidate to have the obc old guard fellas around, knowing he probably can't fire any of them and knowing that they are likely his superior being close buds with Katz (even though their job title may not indicate so).

the only candidates who would want to come is one that can work well with the old guard and likely would agree with many things they believe in.... which makes you think..... is that a good thing?

like i said, guys like K-lo, macT, Gretzkys etc would potentially be in on all these interviews they're having. is the process already a bust because of this?

we'll see in the next 10 months or so how much this org really wants to change it's culture.... or if it will just be perpetuation of nepotism. not going to say it can't work with the obc around but the track record is not very good in the last decade plus.

Yeah same old same old. Same old boys club ( SOBC)

That's what we signed up for with Katz I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeGrier99

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Until everyone in management is cleared out, I don't think any respectable hockey mind would want the job. Why the hell would you want to share airspace with those ****ing morons?

Until Daryl Katz decides he wants to be the owner of a successful hockey team, and not just a successful businessman, I don't blame anyone with any sense for running the opposite direction. It has nothing to do with being smart enough to identify what good players the team actually has.

These ****ing goons have run a once storied franchise into the ****ing ground for almost the last 15 years. Every single thing they have done in every single department off the ice can be summed up into one giant steaming pile of dog****, and as such the on ice product has a foul stench about it. Almost every decision they make blows up in their face. And yet they're still employed. Whatever capacity that may or may not be is completely irrelevant to the fact that they failed spectacularly for a decade in what they are being paid to do.

The fact that people around here advocate for any of these ****ing assclowns to remain employed in any capacity for any reason at all hockey related or not makes me sad because it means that die hard fans like myself who have supported this team through thick and thin are still apparently okay with being a total ****ing joke of a hockey franchise by not doing what needs to be done.

What the actual ****, boys?:huh:

No one's advocating for them, but this is the team Chiarelli wanted, don't kid yourself there either. He had carte blanche to build this team, this is the kind of team he thought would work.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to build a team when you get to start with McDavid.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No one's advocating for them, but this is the team Chiarelli wanted, don't kid yourself there either. He had carte blanche to build this team, this is the kind of team he thought would work.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to build a team when you get to start with McDavid.
Chiarelli wanted Dougie Hamilton, remember? He played the hand he was dealt.

No sense rehashing old arguments, but nobody 'wants' to trade away better players to address needs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Would seem if they are doing 2nd round of interviews that a guy like McCrimmon is no longer in the cards. Once you start going deeper into interviews you start liking a guy more and more, and it becomes more difficult to hire someone else that you haven't talked to before.

Which I'm somewhat fine with. I do think we need a guy in place well before the draft and if Vegas goes far, I don't know I want to wait until they are knocked out.

I do also wonder if they leaked this info about round 2 of interviews as a way to have McCrimmon contact the Oilers. Maybe McCrimmon goes to GMGM and says he'd like to interview and not miss out on a chance at a promotion

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Would seem if they are doing 2nd round of interviews that a guy like McCrimmon is no longer in the cards. Once you start going deeper into interviews you start liking a guy more and more, and it becomes more difficult to hire someone else that you haven't talked to before.

Which I'm somewhat fine with. I do think we need a guy in place well before the draft and if Vegas goes far, I don't know I want to wait until they are knocked out.

I do also wonder if they leaked this info about round 2 of interviews as a way to have McCrimmon contact the Oilers. Maybe McCrimmon goes to GMGM and says he'd like to interview and not miss out on a chance at a promotion

I wonder if McCrimmon already has a wink-nudge offer from Seattle, and that's really the reason he's not in on the Oilers GM position.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

the whole organization wanted this team, for ages...don't kid yourself...hence allowing Chia to build the team he did

-MacT tried signing David Clarkson
-MacT brought in Luke Gazdic and Matt Hendricks

if the organization didn't want a big, heavy team to compete in the Pacific, they'd have fired him earlier

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010

Do you think they surrounded Chiarelli with a diverse staff?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I still just can't understand how Keith Gretzky is in the running for the job.

If any other team was currently looking for a GM he wouldn't even be interviewed. And he is going to be our GM. Its mind blowing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

If any other team was currently looking for a GM he wouldn't even be interviewed. And he is going to be our GM. Its mind blowing.
I don't think him being in the running is uncommon in any sort of interview process. Internals get interviews all the time. Doesn't mean he's going to get the job. Lot of times it's just a courtesy interview, so that you don't disgruntle a valued employee.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Lowe and Mact can stay as long as they continue to make a meaningful contribution. They are the architects of our best run since 90. The same can’t be argued for 17. That was McDavid and whatever talent we had left before Chia finished his masterpiece.

I want to know why they can’t just retire gracefully and go and make ships in bottles or something, they’re both 60 years old now and presumably millionaires... go and live the dream somewhere else. Enjoy your twilight years.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think him being in the running is uncommon in any sort of interview process. Internals get interviews all the time. Doesn't mean he's going to get the job. Lot of times it's just a courtesy interview, so that you don't disgruntle a valued employee.
Most orgs almost always have the interim or the assistant in the running till the end anyways. Keeps the employee happy knowing they were an option and also if the guy you wanted either gets scooped or turns you down, you still have a plan B or c.

Reactions: joestevens29

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I want to know why they can’t just retire gracefully and go and make ships in bottles or something, they’re both 60 years old now and presumably millionaires... go and live the dream somewhere else. Enjoy your twilight years.
Agree on MacT not on Lowe. From all accounts Lowe deals with the business side of OEG and yeah gives the occasional opinion in the hockey side but nothing he says is forced or gospel.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They are enjoying their twilight years. They get to stay in the game they love and get paid to do it.

It's not like these positions are full time gigs anyway

Some of these types of guys will never retire. That's why you need to have the hard conversation with them at some point and let them know their time as an employee is done.

Reactions: TheRebuild

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Agree on MacT not on Lowe. From all accounts Lowe deals with the business side of OEG and yeah gives the occasional opinion in the hockey side but nothing he says is forced or gospel.

Its hard to put a finger on it from the outside, but there is a consistent pattern underlying about half the deals the team has made going back like 20 years. There have been some changes in the org, but some things have stayed the same...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its hard to put a finger on it from the outside, but there is a consistent pattern underlying about half the deals the team has made going back like 20 years. There have been some changes in the org, but some things have stayed the same...
The consistent pattern is that the team hires bad GMs that don't make good moves.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

Completely disagree with this.
His credentials is just as Valid as any other Candidates for a GM position. Just because you're ready devalue his work doesn't mean other teams would. You have no idea, and that statement has nothing to back it on.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The consistent pattern is that the team hires bad GMs that don't make good moves.

But this could be attributed at least in part to detrimental voices in the room vouching for these bad decisions, :"sure i worked with him at hockey canada seemed like a genius to me!"

The people in a group have a major impact on the overall culture of the group. You can introduce different training, systems, strategies, etc.. but the people will determine the outcome in the end. Garbage in garbage out. Even if its in a minute way, there will be a negative effect. No GM is an island, even though Chiarelli eventually attempted to isolate himself from the carnage.

Its actually a cancer. It starts with "well geeze ive been around a few winning teams and ill tell ya gretz never woulda brushed off slats the way Hall brushed me off at the cheese table. Entitled kid who parties even on loss nights, thats only gonna hurt the culture in the long run boss!", and "griff is a real beast, oil kings are part of oeg so we know him like the back of our hands!"

...And it ends with "OK everybody, That Chia is up to no good like ive always told yas. Look how he has isolated himself from us and wont even listen to our honest, caring advice anymore. Hes a real social miscreant and hes sewering this team. We need to start looking into someone who is more of a team player- we've got 20 cups worth of winning culture here on the exec, we'll get it right, whaddya say Nichs?"

This is happening, E5.

Who would the OBC love next? What fits their pattern? If we get a GM in that mould, theres your answer.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So who exactly do U want?

U say No to Hunter
No to MacCrimmon

Just curious, throw a name out
Pat Verbeek with Al Murray as his right hand man would probably be best case scenario for me.

Two guys with a rich history of player procurement for one of the more successful franchises in the league.

What about McCrimmon sounds enticing to you? He sounds like someone Bob Green knows very well, going back to his WHL days. Same old, same old.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Pat Verbeek with Al Murray as his right hand man would probably be best case scenario for me.

Two guys with a rich history of player procurement for one of the more successful franchises in the league.

What about McCrimmon sounds enticing to you? He sounds like someone Bob Green knows very well, going back to his WHL days. Same old, same old.
To me the most intriguing thing about McCrimmon is the work he did for the expansion draft with Vegas. They took a year to get to know every organization inside and out to get the best possible assets from them. He's a guy I strongly feel could find some hidden gems.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

McCrimmon has a good history with younger players I am reading. I just read an article that they were high on Verbeek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad