The Search For a GM II: 2nd Round of Interviews Under Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
@bobbythebrain

I call it conspiracy theorist b/c people are so hell bent on 1 narrative that even the truth is ignored to maintain support of that narrative
the narrative being what exactly? the OBC still has influence? so the fact MacT and Howson aren't fired is prove enough? what about the astute hiring of Paul Coffey?
these hirings raise eyebrows to many

Yet when, Bobby Nick, and the most knowledgeable insider, Stauffer, come out and tell everyone that this rather common practice was indeed the case here also...it is discredited as lying, dishonest, schill,
Stauffer and said many times the Oilers have a "unique" management structure as well

Lest we forget that it this was a well accepted truth when Chia was hired. Oh how the short memories coincidentally fade. Now, years later, when things did not go to plan, that narrative has all but been ignored for the sake of a new one

So ya, calling it a conspiracy theory is actually very fitting
we all thought the Chiarelli hiring would be different, and the OBC would be fired...even for "optics" sake
instead they stuck around, got "reshuffled" into other jobs and even hired another former Oiler because "he was the best man for the job" lol

And the comical irony of it all is the OBC didn't meddle in Chia's case, but moving forward, they likely will be able to as per Bob saying full autonomy will no longer be cart blanche. So many people's worst case nightmares will come to be reality, and hopefully, the team w/ the new GM will turn it around. Oh what a bittersweet irony that would be

even if they didn't "meddle"...the OBC and Nicholson were dumb enough to allow Chiarelli to continue to make poor trades and make poor hires

but this time....this time...they'll be get it right after 13 years of mostly garbage...sure they will

they'll hire someone who won't rock the boat to much and will tell them what they want to hear....if they're successful, the narrative will be "it was a collaborative and successful group!"

if it fails, they'll throw another GM under the bus and use the "he had full autonomy! it wasn't us!" excuse

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I've read they want to have a GM by May 1st. I hope not, they haven't even interviewed McCrimmon yet. I am not really sold on Hunter and there are similarities in experience with K. Gretzky, and I am still leaning towards Gretzky because of his familiarity with the players already in our system.
But at least get a McCrimmon interview in before they make a decision.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
But who are we kidding? MacT will remain, it's the only constant in life other that death and taxes.

Hot take but am I the only one who doesn't mind MacT if he is in a lesser role? The guy took Nurse over Nichuskin and Draisaitl over Bennett. He also made some incredibly dumb moves (hiring Eakins) but the guy still has an eye for talent.

Lowe on the other hand can GTFO.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I would love Hunter. He seems like the kind of guy who if Lowe or MacT wanted to give their opinion, he'd say "thanks for your time, I'll file this under "my ass""

North

Jun 25, 2009
Nicholson stated that it was going to be an intense search. No timeline was given. Now it seems they want to have their man by May 1st. And apparently have not interviewed Mccrimmon, who was originally the lead candidate. This smells bad again, typical Oilers move.

How could he have been the lead candidate without an interview? That would be typical Oilers.

They are actually interviewing people they have been given permission to talk to. That’s not typical. Usually they’d pick one guy, talk to him, and then hire him.

At least they are making some effort. That being said, as long as MacT and Howson are around the stench won’t go away.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Hunter might not be a bad option. I assume he is in the lead for the position hence why they said oilers looking to make hire on or before may 1st .

It's funny everyone saying not interested in hunter .He was suppose to be the second coming of christ while he was with the leafs but since they hired dumbass now hunter is trash?

Come on people

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hunter might not be a bad option. I assume he is in the lead for the position hence why they said oilers looking to make hire on or before may 1st .

It's funny everyone saying not interested in hunter .He was suppose to be the second coming of christ while he was with the leafs but since they hired dumbass now hunter is trash?

Come on people

That's Leafs hype for you.

Dubas was the boy genius about to turn the NHL world upside down with his new age thinking.

Reactions: PuckNut and TB12

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I've read they want to have a GM by May 1st. I hope not, they haven't even interviewed McCrimmon yet. I am not really sold on Hunter and there are similarities in experience with K. Gretzky, and I am still leaning towards Gretzky because of his familiarity with the players already in our system.
But at least get a McCrimmon interview in before they make a decision.

Just a random thought maybe but maybe we are looking to fill the Assist Gm position. with Kieth in mind does hunter slot in behind him?

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Just a random thought maybe but maybe we are looking to fill the Assist Gm position. with Kieth in mind does hunter slot in behind him?
Probably the other way around. Hunter is the GM and KG is assistant/director of amateur scouting.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Wouldn't really make sense to have two Amateur Scouting type guys in those positions.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Come on people
Last time we trusted Leafs Nation on the lastest and greatest forward thinking personnel, we ended up with Dallas Eakins.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Last time we trusted Leafs Nation on the lastest and greatest forward thinking personnel, we ended up with Dallas Eakins.

Shouldn’t be allowed saying that name or Chiarelli name anymore. They are ripping down Kate Smiths statue in Philly . We shouldn’t say Eakins or Chiarelli anymore

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

This.

Not saying he's a bad candidate since i don't know much about his work with the leafs. However, if he was so great, why hasn't he been snapped up by another organization. Dubas was hired as the Leafs GM in May of 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad