The Search For a GM II: 2nd Round of Interviews Under Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Be interesting to put together some interviews. See how these guys communicate.
Can't find anything on Verbeek though.

McCrimmon

Hunter:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I also don’t get the McCrimmon love, Vegas had the easiest model to build around with no salary cap. Also don’t say “well they identified hidden talent”, no they didn’t, they took the BPA from most teams and ripped off other for picks. Even they were expecting nothing like what happened with the players they picked to happen. He’s more just in a right place right time scenario. If Vegas had stumbled like everyone thought, even them, there’s no way he a candidate for us. We need someone with experience first had in making trades, and a good knowledge of the salary cap. People think McCrimmon has all the answers from a lot of luck going his way, Gretzky has more answers after watching Chia and learning what not to do
I’m not certain McCrimmon is the right choice either but let’s not pretend what Vegas has done isn’t astonishing. You saying they took best player available in the expansion draft is a load of crap. Pretty much everyone ridiculed most of their picks when they were made because they didn’t take BPA in most cases. The consensus in the hockey world after that draft was McPhee screwed it up badly.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Hunter scares the crap out of me. OHL London is a financial powerhouse that has a lot of “home field” advantages in recruiting. The Eastern media pumps his tires to no end, but when you look at his actual NHL draft record, it’s pretty damned mediocre. Reminds me of Eakins. Lol. McCrimmon has a good record with Brandon and a good record in Vegas. He’ll “get” the Edmonton market. The only thing we dont know about him is his contract negotiation savvy. He is my pick or, failing that, Verbeek. I dont want KGretz. He has been in the room when too many obvious Chiarelli train wrecks were being created plus the Koskinen contract. He also sounded clueless in too many interviews. Bad vibe.
Agreed 100%

McCrimmon or Verbeek for me

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
So players don't play seasons anymore? Hes been a stud his whole NHL career, hence, why I called him a stud in the post.
Pickpocketing his last 4 games is a dishonest tactic and clearly a what have done for me lately argument

no no no, you're moving the goal posts , you said he was awesome last playoffs, he was bad this playoffs and you claimed thats a small sample size. When the convo is just about playoffs, thn yes, both are small samples

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I’m not certain McCrimmon is the right choice either but let’s not pretend what Vegas has done isn’t astonishing. You saying they took best player available in the expansion draft is a load of crap. Pretty much everyone ridiculed most of their picks when they were made because they didn’t take BPA in most cases. The consensus in the hockey world after that draft was McPhee screwed it up badly.

One of the reasons I'm intrigued by McCrimmon is that he was part of a team that correctly identified the direction the NHL was going and built a team tailor-made for that direction. That's, like, the opposite of what the Oilers do.

McCrimmon and co. stuck to their plan and ignored the criticism, and now they have one of the best teams in the league

Reactions: Patch101

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Dreger just roasted Matheson big time on twitter.

Matty.jpg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In defence of Hunter ... IMO he has learned from a better hockey mind in Lamorillo versus McPhee in McCrimmon. McPhee is good too but he's more mistake prone than Lams.

It's hard to gauge drafting because Toronto's picks have been lower post-Matthews.

Liljgren could be a good pick. How do we know what Vegas' drafting has been like, it's hard to know.

We know he pushed hard for Marner even though Babcock wanted Hanifin, so he's not shy about going to bat when he has to.

The Leafs are run more like a normal hockey team, whereas Vegas with McCrimmon, I mean he's simply not going to get a free player to choose from from every team. Being in the Toronto market, I think he'll be more used to media pressure too, McCrimmon has been in Western Canada, but at the junior level, that's not NHL comparable.

That said, either Hunter or McCrimmon is likely a large upgrade over Chiarelli. Unless they are flat out morons, either would probably have the Oilers in the playoffs right now if they had inherited the team in 2015. It's hard to know without being in the interview room what their philosophies are.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In defence of Hunter ... IMO he has learned from a better hockey mind in Lamorillo versus McPhee in McCrimmon. McPhee is good too but he's more mistake prone than Lams.

It's hard to gauge drafting because Toronto's picks have been lower post-Matthews.

Liljgren could be a good pick. How do we know what Vegas' drafting has been like, it's hard to know.

We know he pushed hard for Marner even though Babcock wanted Hanifin, so he's not shy about going to bat when he has to.

The Leafs are run more like a normal hockey team, whereas Vegas with McCrimmon, I mean he's simply not going to get a free player to choose from from every team. Being in the Toronto market, I think he'll be more used to media pressure too, McCrimmon has been in Western Canada, but at the junior level, that's not NHL comparable.

That said, either Hunter or McCrimmon is likely a large upgrade over Chiarelli. Unless they are flat out morons, either would probably have the Oilers in the playoffs right now if they had inherited the team in 2015. It's hard to know without being in the interview room what their philosophies are.
Standing up to Babcock it's nice to see. Wouldn't be afraid to stand up here and either get rid of clowns or isolate them.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Hunter scares the crap out of me. OHL London is a financial powerhouse that has a lot of “home field” advantages in recruiting. The Eastern media pumps his tires to no end, but when you look at his actual NHL draft record, it’s pretty damned mediocre. Reminds me of Eakins. Lol. McCrimmon has a good record with Brandon and a good record in Vegas. He’ll “get” the Edmonton market. The only thing we dont know about him is his contract negotiation savvy. He is my pick or, failing that, Verbeek. I dont want KGretz. He has been in the room when too many obvious Chiarelli train wrecks were being created plus the Koskinen contract. He also sounded clueless in too many interviews. Bad vibe.

Feel the same way. Hunter [and the rumored coach that he'd probably pick, DJ Smith] reminds me way too much of the hype that was also generated for Eakins

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Laviolette is available I'm thinking he would be the no.1 priority to sign for coach no matter who the GM is.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Feel the same way. Hunter [and the rumored coach that he'd probably pick, DJ Smith] reminds me way too much of the hype that was also generated for Eakins

Can't really tar and feather everyone in the Leafs organization just because Dallas Eakins didn't work out here.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Verbeek would be my choice. Strong connection with Detroit(Yzerman) and Tampa. Good trading partners
He's been my guy since this search began. Paid his dues in a model organization, and like you said some solid connections.

Don't want Hunter at all. Pretty easy to build a powerhouse junior team when you can buy players under the table. Totally see the Eakins comparison too when it comes to the Eastern media pumping his tires. There is a reason Toronto didn't promote him.

My order of preference, out of who we've heard about would be;

1. Verbeek

2. McCrimmon
3. Gillis, Hextall or some other middle of the road exGM.

4. K Gretzky/Hunter.

I fully expect the oilers order to be the exact opposite.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's been my guy since this search began. Paid his dues in a model organization, and like you said some solid connections.

Don't want Hunter at all. Pretty easy to build a powerhouse junior team when you can buy players under the table. Totally see the Eakins comparison too when it comes to the Eastern media pumping his tires. There is a reason Toronto didn't promote him.

My order of preference, out of who we've heard about would be;

1. Verbeek

2. McCrimmon
3. Gillis, Hextall or some other middle of the road exGM.

4. K Gretzky/Hunter.

I fully expect the oilers order to be the exact opposite.

Not looking at someone because "well Dallas Eakins" is kind of stupid too. Hunter wasn't even in the Leafs org when Dallas Eakins was coaching the Marlies.

Hunter has worked under Lou Lamorillo for 2 years, I'd have interest in a guy who's learned from the best.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Not looking at someone because "well Dallas Eakins" is kind of stupid too. Hunter wasn't even in the Leafs org when Dallas Eakins was coaching the Marlies.

Hunter has worked under Lou Lamorillo for 2 years, I'd have interest in a guy who's learned from the best.

So did Dubas and it's looking like he isn't the godsend Toronto claims he is.

I'm leery of anyone out of the Toronto hype machine.

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Can't really tar and feather everyone in the Leafs organization just because Dallas Eakins didn't work out here.

If he knows how to do his job, great. But this is Toronto and they are notorious for hyping up 'their own' just because its Toronto.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So did Dubas and it's looking like he isn't the godsend Toronto claims he is.

I'm leery of anyone out of the Toronto hype machine.

Dubas signed John Tavares and got Jake Muzzin for a reasonable price. When's the last time the Oilers added two players of that quality in a calendar year?

The Bruins are simply a tough match up for a young team and it's not the GM's fault Kadri keeps getting himself suspended like an idiot.

You got to pay good players, there's no way around that.

Also the Hunter pick of Dermott looks pretty good, 2nd round pick for a D that's already a 20 point-ish D is not bad. Marner is obviously a slam dunk pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad