The Search For a GM II: 2nd Round of Interviews Under Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hire hunter. The leafs were on the right path when they chose nerd boy over him .
The Leafs were on the right path until they got rid of Lou. Had nothing to do with Hunter one way or the other. Stunning stupidity to get rid of the strongest negotiating GM in the league right before the contracts of Nylander, Mathews and Marner were up and replace him with someone who had never negotiated a contract before.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Depends on if you have a half a brain or not.

If you did literally nothing from 2015 onwards but simply waited for a Larsson-tier D-Man to be available for a more reasonable cost (Hamonic, Tanev, McDonagh, etc. etc.), likely the team is in the playoffs right now.

If you want to bet the farm on stupid trades ... yeah, this isn't the job for you.

If you have half a brain you probably can figure out how to build a team around Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent Hopkins in a reasonable time frame.
Until everyone in management is cleared out, I don't think any respectable hockey mind would want the job. Why the hell would you want to share airspace with those f***ing morons?

Until Daryl Katz decides he wants to be the owner of a successful hockey team, and not just a successful businessman, I don't blame anyone with any sense for running the opposite direction. It has nothing to do with being smart enough to identify what good players the team actually has.

These f***ing goons have run a once storied franchise into the f***ing ground for almost the last 15 years. Every single thing they have done in every single department off the ice can be summed up into one giant steaming pile of dogshit, and as such the on ice product has a foul stench about it. Almost every decision they make blows up in their face. And yet they're still employed. Whatever capacity that may or may not be is completely irrelevant to the fact that they failed spectacularly for a decade in what they are being paid to do.

The fact that people around here advocate for any of these f***ing assclowns to remain employed in any capacity for any reason at all hockey related or not makes me sad because it means that die hard fans like myself who have supported this team through thick and thin are still apparently okay with being a total f***ing joke of a hockey franchise by not doing what needs to be done.

What the actual f***, boys?:huh:

Last edited:

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
The Leafs were on the right path until they got rid of Lou. Had nothing to do with Hunter one way or the other. Stunning stupidity to get rid of the strongest negotiating GM in the league right before the contracts of Nylander, Mathews and Marner were up and replace him with someone who had never negotiated a contract before.

Did Lou want Hunter to replace him over Dubas? If that's the case, I trust Lou's opinion regarding Hunter.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
They've promoted more guys from pro scouting than they have fired them going back to even before Chia got here.

It's mind boggling.
Hotel California 2.0. You can check out anytime you want but you never have to leave. This should actually be a selling feature for the new GM. Even if you screw up royally you can probably have a job for life if you have even the faintest connection to the past teams.

Reactions: The Bored Man

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hunter might not be a bad option. I assume he is in the lead for the position hence why they said oilers looking to make hire on or before may 1st .

It's funny everyone saying not interested in hunter .He was suppose to be the second coming of christ while he was with the leafs but since they hired dumbass now hunter is trash?

Come on people

I’m ok with Hunter. He is a Hunter so I don’t think he can be told what to do.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Hotel California 2.0. You can check out anytime you want but you never have to leave. This should actually be a selling feature for the new GM. Even if you screw up royally you can probably have a job for life if you have even the faintest connection to the past teams.
Mark Hunter's older brother Dave was a prominent member of the 80s Oilers

it all makes sense now! ;)

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019

Not sure if they got rid of Lou. I think that he left, probably saw the writing on the wall. I suspect Matthews wanted out, Lou knew he would have to overpay to keep, also knew that Nylander and Marner were going to be hard signings as well.

A loss tomorrow, will not look good on Dubas, overpaid the young core, traded the 1st round pick, capped out and favoured older players while being forced to trade young players. And remember, this club has less playoff success than Oilers last 3 years. In fact, they have had the worst playoff success of any club last 15 years. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse for a team that hasn't played a cup final game in more than a half century.

That being said, I like the other guy that quit the leafs. I like Hunter.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Seattle going to scoop up a better gm than us either way.

We're hopeful though.

ya possibly. we have Connor but we also have cap issues. Most of all we have, working against us, the obc still around. I don't think it would be palatable for any GM candidate to have the obc old guard fellas around, knowing he probably can't fire any of them and knowing that they are likely his superior being close buds with Katz (even though their job title may not indicate so).

the only candidates who would want to come is one that can work well with the old guard and likely would agree with many things they believe in.... which makes you think..... is that a good thing?

like i said, guys like K-lo, macT, Gretzkys etc would potentially be in on all these interviews they're having. is the process already a bust because of this?

we'll see in the next 10 months or so how much this org really wants to change it's culture.... or if it will just be perpetuation of nepotism. not going to say it can't work with the obc around but the track record is not very good in the last decade plus.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
If Nashville bows out early again does David Poile shake loose? He has been there since inception, I wonder if they decide to go in a different direction. Same with Laviolette.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
He's been an assistant GM of an expansion team for just over two years. A team with a starting payroll of zero dollars. That's the extent of his experience in professional hockey.

Agree
While I do like his body of work and think he should be (is?) a serious candidate, I don't get all the shine on him.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
My heart skipped a beat after reading the first three words of this tweet. Alas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad