The Search For a GM II: 2nd Round of Interviews Under Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why do I keep getting an optimistic feeling that the OBC will be gone this summer. Am I feeling to happy this morning?

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Good luck with that.

They have two pro scouts on record. One has been with the team for 13+ years and the other is Messier's brother.

This still amazes me. How the f*** can you run a professional organization with so many glaring weaknesses?

This is would be one of the easiest areas to clean up as well.

A simple mgmt structure that would allow pro scouts and an analytics department to work together to make decisions on players. What a concept!

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Good luck with that.

They have two pro scouts on record. One has been with the team for 13+ years and the other is Messier's brother.
gregor said a little while ago he's heard that the 2 pro scouts would be gone almost for sure and at least one of macT or howson is likely gone.... i think he mentioned a few more but i don't recall.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
gregor said a little while ago he's heard that the 2 pro scouts would be gone almost for sure and at least one of macT or howson is likely gone.... i think he mentioned a few more but i don't recall.

When new GM and POHO come in they usually bring in people they know for all scouting positions

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
When new GM and POHO come in they usually bring in people they know for all scouting positions

Every pro scout that was here prior to Chia is still with the team outside Semenko.

2014-15: Duane Sutter, Chris Cichocki, Paul Messier, Dave Semenko
Chia era: Chris Cichocki, Paul Messier, Matti Virmanen(Oilers Amateur scout in five years prior)
Now: Chris Cichocki, Paul Messier.

Sutter was promoted to VP of Hockeys OP in 2016 and Virmanen was moved back to amateur scouting this season.

Reactions: Aerrol and Spawn

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Every pro scout that was here prior to Chia is still with the team outside Semenko.

Chia era: Chris Cichocki, Paul Messier, Matti Virmanen(Oilers Amateur scout in five years prior)

Sutter was promoted to VP of Hockeys OP in 2016 and Virmanen was moved back to amateur scouting this season.

These are such low hanging fruit. Why are they scared to fire the worst pro scouts in the history of the league.

If I was a business owner I'd track and list in a spreadsheet each player that each scout should think should go at what spot. If you are garbage for three years you dont get promoted you get fired.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
This.

Not saying he's a bad candidate since i don't know much about his work with the leafs. However, if he was so great, why hasn't he been snapped up by another organization. Dubas was hired as the Leafs GM in May of 2018.

I mean the only GM's replaced in that time were TBL (Briesbois no brainer) Detroit (Yzerman, no brainer) Philly (Fletcher - experience) and Minnesota (Fenton - thought to be top candidate for years)

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
You'd have to be crazy to want this job.

Do you want to work with a bunch of dinosaurs, a jock sniffer owner and has beens from the 80s who will ultimately blame you when **** hits the fan?

Hey want a chance to step into the front office with two top 5 scorers in the NHL, one being the best in the world?

The core is pretty damn good I think with McDavid, Drai, Nurse, Klef and RNH.

We have some decent prospects and #8 overall, it's still a damn good opportunity.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Similar thing happened on the amateur side.

10 of the 13 amateur scouts from 2014/15 stayed on with Chia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spawn

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Clean those two and Howson out and im satisfied

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

If Leavins is to be believed, sounds like Sutter became Chia's go-to guy for leading pro-scouting and they were of one mind with the heavy-hockey method. Can't believe this cowardly org hasn't cleaned house of even 1 person involved in pro-scouting yet.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If Leavins is to be believed, sounds like Sutter became Chia's go-to guy for leading pro-scouting and they were of one mind with the heavy-hockey method. Can't believe this cowardly org hasn't cleaned house of even 1 person involved in pro-scouting yet.

They've promoted more guys from pro scouting than they have fired them going back to even before Chia got here.

It's mind boggling.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

What a clown shoes organization :laugh:

it's a country club for these guys

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Nicholson stated that it was going to be an intense search. No timeline was given. Now it seems they want to have their man by May 1st. And apparently have not interviewed Mccrimmon, who was originally the lead candidate. This smells bad again, typical Oilers move.

too be fair you'd want someone get in n be somewhat ready to go by the draft, and time to have a battle plan with the current roster going into july

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean the only GM's replaced in that time were TBL (Briesbois no brainer) Detroit (Yzerman, no brainer) Philly (Fletcher - experience) and Minnesota (Fenton - thought to be top candidate for years)
Also Hunter left in May but had a weird Non Compete clause in his contract so wasnt allowed to be hired till mid July 2018, by orgs had their management and plans already in place.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You'd have to be crazy to want this job.

Do you want to work with a bunch of dinosaurs, a jock sniffer owner and has beens from the 80s who will ultimately blame you when **** hits the fan?

Depends on if you have a half a brain or not.

If you did literally nothing from 2015 onwards but simply waited for a Larsson-tier D-Man to be available for a more reasonable cost (Hamonic, Tanev, McDonagh, etc. etc.), likely the team is in the playoffs right now.

If you want to bet the farm on stupid trades ... yeah, this isn't the job for you.

If you have half a brain you probably can figure out how to build a team around Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent Hopkins in a reasonable time frame.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
The big pieces go without saying. There is no room for error here.

If they stop throwing money at hang arounds I’m happy. They should divert that money to support for scouting, drafting, analytics, etc.....

Lowe and Mact can stay as long as they continue to make a meaningful contribution. They are the architects of our best run since 90. The same can’t be argued for 17. That was McDavid and whatever talent we had left before Chia finished his masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad