The Seabrook Conundrum...

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This is just my take, and not any fact;

I think he has the worst contract in the league, but as the cap raises, it gets less and less "very bad", and less years left.
After this season, its only four years left. But one has to wonder were he is actually playable. If someone mentions he has staminaproblems, that would make him untradeable.

My suggestion is : Try to make a deal in the expansion draft that Chicago is Ok with. Freeing up that much capspace is like getting a new team. Its worth a 1st rounder, if it is top 5 protected.
If Seabrook doesnt agree, try to trade him for Zach Parise. If he doesnt wave here, then there isnt that many years left, , wait to 2022 and buy him out, just bite the bullet and be happier.
I have a hard time seeing him be a useful player oct. 2022.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

I think he has the worst contract in the league, but as the cap raises, it gets less and less "very bad", and less years left.
After this season, its only four years left. But one has to wonder were he is actually playable. If someone mentions he has staminaproblems, that would make him untradeable.

My suggestion is : Try to make a deal in the expansion draft that Chicago is Ok with. Freeing up that much capspace is like getting a new team. Its worth a 1st rounder, if it is top 5 protected.
If Seabrook doesnt agree, try to trade him for Zach Parise. If he doesnt wave here, then there isnt that many years left, , wait to 2022 and buy him out, just bite the bullet and be happier.

Only? :(

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If Seabrook doesn't waive his NMC and Hawks can't work out some kind of deal to get him off the roster...you almost have to buy him out. Can they really afford for Seabrook to be one of their protected defensemen???

Reactions: LDF and BrianE

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
If Seabrook doesn't waive his NMC and Hawks can't work out some kind of deal to get him off the roster...you almost have to buy him out. Can they really afford for Seabrook to be one of their protected defensemen???

The answer is no. I don't know much about the cap and all that but if he's bought out how much would it affect Hawks cap?

All this is probably just a pipe dream anyway but dreaming never hurts.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

The buy out is in reality the price of a good player, I think it was close to 6 millions, just cap. So its like paying for a hole, its not a good solution. But there arent any good solutions here.
Protecting him isnt maybe that bad, if they have to many to protect, Seattle can anyway just pick one, so if they just give a damn, they will anyway keep good unprotected players.
He can almost certain wave, becuase Seattle wouldnt anyhow pick him, because they ofC want to compete as quick as possible, and Seabrook is a way past his prime.

Chicago would preferable buy him out 2022. Its two and half years from here. Ok, thats some time. Maybe he will be LTIR meanwhile. Or something in his equipment gets itchy.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

I think protecting him is not as big a deal as his cap hit. This is why Jokiharju got traded. They would not have been able to protect him and wanted a good asset in return.

So right now you have 5D that need protection and probably 3 slots. Keith, Seabrook a must. Then you have DeHaan, Murphy and Maatta. I don't count Gus and 4K because they would need to be resigned.

Seabrook may wave for the draft (though Phaneuf was asked in a similar circumstance and didn't).

You probably protect DeHaan and then you have Murphy and Maatta if Seabrook doesn't wave. You may or may not lose one of them but they are the types of defenceman that can be replaced in a trade and anyway all three of them are on contractracts that only had one more year on them at that point. If we had kept Joki he would have been a much more enticing pickup. You could also trade one of them before the draft and the trade would not be as awful as dumping Seabrook's contract.

I actually think the Hawks are planning well for the Seattle draft but it helps they're in a rebuild and not in win now mode.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The Seabrook problem is only getting worse, and will not be going away on its own. It’s like having mold in your house. The Hawks are spotting their ops a goal+ every game. Not that there aren’t other issues, but the team will not be competitive as long as he’s getting 20 minutes a night. It is time to bench him, and not be afraid that the “stars” who are already playing like shit will play like shit. Anything less than that, and Hawks brass is proactively throwing the season away.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

problem is he has not been a useful player for the past two seasons let alone now, or in 2021, or 2022

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The Seabrook problem is only getting worse, and will not be going away on its own. It’s like having mold in your house. The Hawks are spotting their ops a goal+ every game. Not that there aren’t other issues, but the team will not be competitive as long as he’s getting 20 minutes a night. It is time to bench him, and not be afraid that the “stars” who are already playing like **** will play like ****. Anything less than that, and Hawks brass is proactively throwing the season away.

Fixed that for you.
Hawks brass is proactively throwing multiple seasons away.....

Reactions: BrianE

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
On the contrary, Seabrook is not the cause of the Hawks playing a losing season. Yes, he is slow but is still a smart player and he does play with effort. Paired with the right defense man and lowering his minutes per game is the answer until either his contract runs out or he agrees to wave his no trade clause. I believe he is the only defense man to have a goal so far this season. Seabs is also a great mentor for other teammates.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
On the contrary, Seabrook is not the cause of the Hawks playing a losing season. Yes, he is slow but is still a smart player and he does play with effort. Paired with the right defense man and lowering his minutes per game is the answer until either his contract runs out or he agrees to wave his no trade clause. I believe he is the only defense man to have a goal so far this season. Seabs is also a great mentor for other teammates.

giphy.gif

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
How many goals against has he been on the ice for?

But, out of the 171 defensemen that have played over 100 minutes this season, he is bottom 5 in EVERY SINGLE advanced stat category on the planet... The Hawks basically spend the entire shift when he's on the ice penalty killing. If there's a worse defenseman in the NHL, I'm not sure who it is.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

But, out of the 171 defensemen that have played over 100 minutes this season, he is bottom 5 in EVERY SINGLE advanced stat category on the planet... The Hawks basically spend the entire shift when he's on the ice penalty killing. If there's a worse defenseman in the NHL, I'm not sure who it is.
I believe he is top 5 for tacos downed/60...so let's not over exaggerate he is bottom 5 at everything on the planet...

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

LOL, go watch the Philly goals over again and you come back here and tell me that Seabrook is a smart player and does play with effort.

two of the goals Seabrook made terrible decisions and gave very little effort, can't remember which goal it was but he was gliding over to the side of the rink in between the two blue lines bent over and waved at the puck with an effort that was absolutely pitiful and he knew he was the last guy back. He whiffed on the puck and the flyers scored.

the hawks are giving the opponent a 1 goal and sometimes a two goal lead every game with the simple fact that 7 is on the roster, he is not a smart player any longer, he is beyond slow, he NEVER skates with urgency and when he does skate it is simply two or three merger strides and then he glides, his angles are terrible cause he just does not take them anymore instead he tries to take the body of the opponent cause that plays to Seabrook ONLY strength which is his size, too bad his balance is so shitty that it negates his only strength.

Absolutely any Rockford defenseman would be an improvement on Seabrook at D, in fact David Kampf would be a far superior defender than Seabrook is in the next game with only one practice as a D

Fire Stan Bowman

May 28, 2019

dude is the epitome of dog shit... at what point does the man realize he is only hurting the organization that overpaid him and will also provide a job for him well after he's done playing

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Trading Seabrook is of no benefit to the Hawks.

You would just have to give up useful assets to get rid of him. It doesn't matter how many games the Hawks lose this season, so let him play. If you want to improve the odds of winning in the future you have to trade those guys that can actually BRING IN some useful pieces. Like Gustafsson (and Pat Kane). Then you can build a winning team after the current core moves aside.

Toews, Keith, Seabrook can retire Hawks no big deal. What is their trade value anyway? Close to nothing. Trading any of them does not help the team. Accept you are going to lose and rebuild properly. Kane can go win a Cup somewhere else. Then the Hawks can challenge for the Cup in 3-4-5 years from now with a new core. If you trade Seabrook you're just going to hurt the team long term. Like with trading Bickell.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
So, is the organization trying to market memories here or win hockey games?

I blamed Q and I blamed JC for putting out a wasted-looking Seabrook no matter what..fail after fail after fail even though a monkey on mars could see the liability.

My tin foil hat now points towards organizational politics regarding the country club criticisms.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Trading Seabrook is of no benefit to the Hawks.

You would just have to give up useful assets to get rid of him. It doesn't matter how many games the Hawks lose this season, so let him play. If you want to improve the odds of winning in the future you have to trade those guys that can actually BRING IN some useful pieces. Like Gustafsson (and Pat Kane). Then you can build a winning team after the current core moves aside.

Toews, Keith, Seabrook can retire Hawks no big deal. What is their trade value anyway? Close to nothing. Trading any of them does not help the team. Accept you are going to lose and rebuild properly. Kane can go win a Cup somewhere else. Then the Hawks can challenge for the Cup in 3-4-5 years from now with a new core. If you trade Seabrook you're just going to hurt the team long term. Like with trading Bickell.

We all know he’s untradable. That doesn’t mean he’s deserving of ice time.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Even though there's only 300k savings for 2/4 seasons and 710k of dead hit for 4 seasons after the contract ends, I'm thinking you just buy him out to get him the hell off the team. Him riding out the contract in the press box is probably the best option, but you have to have a coach and GM that have the balls to do that. The Hawks are in no position to be trading away young players to rid themselves of Seabrook.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The question now is...how can you put him back in the lineup next game? The three guys playing on their offhanded side, outplayed Seabrook today, by a wide margin.

Bottom line is, he just can't skate well enough to play in the NHL anymore. Period.

Reactions: jls24 and Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad