The Seabrook Conundrum...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
that just hasn't been Maatta's role, nor do I even see the passing/shot to be effective there. I guess my true answer is Boqvist...hopefully that day comes sooner than later.
He put a good shot on net last night that resulted in a goal. It may have been Seabrooks role, but it shouldn't be anymore. That's just how bad he is.

Reactions: Pez68

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
but you know what else is true, $80 million is sufficient, making an ass out of yourself for the last 6 or so years to finish a contract and tainting what would have been a great career is not really worth the difference between $80 million which he has earned already to the $97 million that he would get for his career if he finishes it, if he does in fact have the physical ability to finish it which I highly doubt he does
Virtually every athlete in the history of professional sports would stay to take the money, their reputations as leaders notwithstanding. If you don't understand this, there's nothing anyone can do to make you understand it. If, on the other hand, you're just moralizing in a way you know is disingenuous ... then frankly you're in the right place on HFBoards.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Virtually every athlete in the history of professional sports would stay to take the money, their reputations as leaders notwithstanding. If you don't understand this, there's nothing anyone can do to make you understand it. If, on the other hand, you're just moralizing in a way you know is disingenuous ... then frankly you're in the right place on HFBoards.

many athletes have left money on the table in favour of calling it a career

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Wonder if Maatta can play the right side?

Keith-Maatta
de Haan-Murphy
Gustafsson-Seabrook

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I was looking around for potential trades just for some daydreaming and came to Wennberg from CBJ.

Seabs contract is only one year longer and 2M more. We would still need to add some sweeteners but at least not our whole war chest.

Torts had problems with Wennberg before and he is pretty overpaid so I think they wouldn't fight to keep him. The guy is still good defensively and can play some PP and provide net front. Had chemistry with Saad, could be ok with Kane or just in the bottom six, whatever even 4th line I don't care.

Ofc Seabs would have to waive but at least Colombus is close. He would probably fit better in Torts system anyway.

I hope Stan and the guys are looking actively for potential trade options. It's gonna take a lot of effort to complete one that's for sure.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Who are all these people you have in mind who have left 8 figures?

Andrew Luck (NFL) walked away from what $58 million;
Larry Sanders (NBA) walked away from like just shy of $30 million;
Adam LaRoche (MLB) walked away from around $15 million if I recall;

those are a few that I remember off the top of my head, keep in mind the amount is an estimate from my memory, not positive cause I have better things to do with my time than justify things when I know I am correct.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
many athletes have left money on the table in favour of calling it a career
This is completely false. A tiny number have and the majority of them were battling chronic injuries that made their lives nearly unlivable as long as they continued to play. In any case, the notion that every athlete that chooses to finish their contract despite declining play is a poor leader is obviously untenable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

those are a few that I remember off the top of my head, keep in mind the amount is an estimate from my memory, not positive cause I have better things to do with my time than justify things when I know I am correct.

Not to sound like a dick, but you claimed "many" and listed.... three. Out of how many thousands of pro athletes? Yeah, you're not exactly correct here.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
This is completely false. A tiny number have and the majority of them were battling chronic injuries that made their lives nearly unlovable as long as they continued to play. In any case, the notion that every athlete that chooses to finish their contract despite declining play is a poor leader is obviously untenable.

don't put words in my mouth, I never said every athlete..... like you say above.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Not to sound like a dick, but you claimed "many" and listed.... three. Out of how many thousands of pro athletes? Yeah, you're not exactly correct here.

like I said, I have better things to do with my time, go do your research if you want to find out, I am not interested in knowing all of them, there are some and I gave 3 off the top of my head that is all I am prepared to do and I am done wasting time on this

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Sanders was bought out after multiple drug suspensions. So you’ve named two people out of all major sports. Your position is zero percent accurate or persuasive.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Sanders was bought out after multiple drug suspensions. So you’ve named two people out of all major sports. Your position is zero percent accurate or persuasive.
Andrew Luck retired due to chronic injuries that caused him constant, unbearable pain. Adam LaRoche retired because his son was no longer allowed to accompany him to work. None of these examples are analogous to Seabrook.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Seabrook is from BC, maybe he could be convinced to waive for the Seattle expansion draft. Maybe if the choice is waive or sit in the press box it might be enough to get him to consider. Seattle is only 2 hrs from Vancouver.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nobody is taking Seabrook. Plenty of veteran leadership that can still actually play at an NHL level. He's not one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad