The Seabrook Conundrum...

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Why would Seattle ever take him?

They'll take him if the Hawks give up something significant for them to take him off their hands. If I'm Seattle, I follow Vegas' blueprint in stockpiling draft picks/prospects and load up on depth.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
They'll take him if the Hawks give up something significant for them to take him off their hands. If I'm Seattle, I follow Vegas' blueprint in stockpiling draft picks/prospects and load up on depth.
yep, Seattle would be stupid not to take him at that point, they would get incentified to do so, plus the actual dollars left on his contract are a third of his cap hit at that point...by the time Seattle hits the league, the cap floor will be what close to $64-66 mil??

Reactions: clydesdale line

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Seabrook played is lowest minutes per game of his career last year by over a minute.

Q really didn't''t do anything more than JC.
I'm talking about just before he was fired. Q scratched him more than JC has. And he started playing him in a 3rd pairing role just before he was fired IIRC, JC hasn't done that as much as he should have.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
To get a 1st round pick.

I don’t think a single first round pick would be enough, or even close to enough. It’s a horrendously terrible contract that goes on forever.

If I am another team it would take two first rounders and a top prospect.

Reactions: vshun

Cashman

Feb 28, 2017
I don’t think a single first round pick would be enough, or even close to enough. It’s a horrendously terrible contract that goes on forever.

Would taking on his contract, limit them in taking anyone else in the expansion draft? To get a 1st rd pick, is probably worth it, maybe you have to throw in a lesser prospect.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

10-15 OA pick, not a top prospect but a Nylander/Joker type, and I’d still ask that the Hawks retain about 5% of his hit.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
10-15 OA pick, not a top prospect but a Nylander/Joker type, and I’d still ask that the Hawks retain about 5% of his hit.

For context, it took TT to get rid of 1 year and $4m of Bickell. Let’s say for argument’s sake that TT at the time was the equivalent of Nylander/joker today (although I think that’s selling TT short). Seabrook has 5 years at 6.875. Unloading that will take much more than a top 10-15 pick.

Reactions: vshun and RayP

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I think the fear, rightly or wrongly, is that scratching Seabrook for extended period would cause some kind of mutiny in the room among the veterans.

I personally don't think it would, and if it were to happen, it would be a damning indictment of the professionalism of the much-vaunted core.

Reactions: LDF and coolhand

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

It would definitely not take 2 first rounders. By that point Seabs has 4 years left on his contract. They'll just buyout the last year, which means only 3 years of Seabs. That's not gonna hurt them in any way. It'll probably be a 1st and then a prospect like Krys.

Reactions: Muffinalt

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
It would definitely not take 2 first rounders. By that point Seabs has 4 years left on his contract. They'll just buyout the last year, which means only 3 years of Seabs. That's not gonna hurt them in any way. It'll probably be a 1st and then a prospect like Krys.

If all it took is a 1st+mediocre prospect, Seabrook would be gone in a heartbeat.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
look around the league for teams with bad contracts. Hawks aren't the only one. Stan makes a few calls to those targetted markets and BAM! Seabs is gone!!

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If all it took is a 1st+mediocre prospect, Seabrook would be gone in a heartbeat.
Currently it's 5 seasons of Seabs which is a harder sell. Also there aren't any other teams in the league that are in the Seattle situation of needing to hit the cap floor. Seabs also has a NMC. I don't know if he'd waive for Seattle but it is close to home for him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
because Seattle is going to want a cap hit like that to help them get to the floor...they are not going to strike lightning like Vegas did IMO..for Seattle, Seabs makes a lot of sense as they could get a 1st rounder or a couple of solid prospects as well to take him..when a cap floor is likely $63-64 mil, they will want a Seabs cap hit to help them get their...as the actual $$$ owed would be far less then his cap hit as long as Hawks pay his bonus for that upcoming season prior to the expansion draft..but Seabs of course has to agree and in the end that is the main issue here.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I truly don’t see why benching Seabrook would be a controversial move among the core. They can all see his decline in play as easily as we can. It happens to everyone, and it’s not an insult. These aren’t tenured positions. It’s the coach’s job to ice the best team possible. Sports is a what have you done for me lately business. The players all know that, or if they don’t, they can grow the f*** up. But either way, to not bench a terrible player who is losing you games because he was valuable five years ago is dumb and shows no spine.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I truly don’t see why benching Seabrook would be a controversial move among the core. They can all see his decline in play as easily as we can. It happens to everyone, and it’s not an insult. These aren’t tenured positions. It’s the coach’s job to ice the best team possible. Sports is a what have you done for me lately business. The players all know that, or if they don’t, they can grow the **** up. But either way, to not bench a terrible player who is losing you games because he was valuable five years ago is dumb and shows no spine.
honest question, did Seabs performance yesterday cause the Bhawks the game ??

while the season have started, where have all the so-called elite players on this team gone ??

Reactions: ColdSteel2

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Oh, and on the topic of leadership, the leadership of this team was decimated by the loss of Sharp, Hossa, and Hammer. All three were guys that lead by example. Which, IMO, is the most important leadership in hockey.

Who on this team is actually leading by example nowadays? I got news for you, the captain ain't doing it either.... This team seems to be severely lacking those "big dogs" that everyone watched, and strived to match, effort wise. The guys that played the way you need to play to win. Especially come crunch time.

I said it at the time, but this team needed Mark Stone DESPERATELY. The impact and influence of a balls to the wall 200 foot forward setting an example for everyone, can't be overstated. If I am a GM, that's a whatever it takes acquisition. Too late now, but that's exactly what this team is missing.
argue_with_that_blazing_saddles.gif

He should lose the A and be a full time scratch. We basically need to make it clear to him that the only way he plays hockey is if the no-movement clause is waived.
...and then Seabrook says he ain't retiring and they'll have to scratch him every game...with a 6.857M cap hit looming over the 'hawks head. That's a great way for the brass to lose money since 6.875M can fetch a great player. The 'hawks would be sitting on that as dead cap if they tried to strongarm Seabs.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
Seabs hasn't been the one costing the Hawks any games yet this season. Toews and Kane cost the Hawks at least one game and the top two lines doing diddly squat has cost the Hawks dearly the 1st three games. The bottom two lines have been playing far better than the top two lines. May switch and put the bottom two lines as the top two lines and move the top two lines down to the bottom with much less icetime until they smarten up and play up to their potentials.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Seabs hasn't been the one costing the Hawks any games yet this season. Toews and Kane cost the Hawks at least one game and the top two lines doing diddly squat has cost the Hawks dearly the 1st three games. The bottom two lines have been playing far better than the top two lines. May switch and put the bottom two lines as the top two lines and move the top two lines down to the bottom with much less icetime until they smarten up and play up to their potentials.

So, you missed the San Jose game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->