Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From what I've heard, Fehr will be kept around to be the 13th forward because of his versatility. Aaltonen is the one who is stealing the 4C job away from Dominic Moore.

If Moore is waived, I doubt everybody else would pass on him and we would land him. We have the 31st waiver priority spot don't we? For how long?

Teams might not let us grab a halfway decent fourth-line center via waivers.

Either way, a trade is coming. It's just a matter of when, not if.

Teams that are also waiving people because they are at the roster limit might not want to take on Moore to lose a kid either, so there's that as well. As much as we'd like to believe teams would just like to mess with us because the Pens are the defending back 2 back champs, have to realize that you won't see that the entire time. There will be SEVERAL players waived around that time. The odds of teams taking everything/anything the Pens might want are insanely slim.

If Dom Moore is on JR's radar (He's fast, ornery type of player, wins draws, can play the PK, he should be on his radar) he will find a way to just trade for him from the Leafs for a late pick if he's worried someone else might grab him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Moore would be a fantastic 4C on this team. Hopefully he can't crack the Leafs' lineup.
Rowney would be a great 13F because of his versatility.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wish Beau would just go play in Europe for a season, not the KHL, but like the SHL just for a season, get some confidence back, bigger ice surface, get some of his creativity back offensively, then come back next year healthy after proving he can produce again and try again.

I will never not feel bad for that kid, injuries once in a while are tough, but the guy was always injured, that messed with him mentally. People can poke fun at the guy but like Despres, I really hope if healthy, they both some how find a way back, somewhere.

Yeah, those are two ex-Pens I wish all the best to. They might both be better served in a league less hellbent on injuring players, though.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Beau Bennett must have been pretty bad during preseason/training camp for St. Louis to waive him considering they are hurting for wingers with all their injuries. Read today that they are interested in signing Jagr because of the injuries.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Beau Bennett must have been pretty bad during preseason/training camp for St. Louis to waive him considering they are hurting for wingers with all their injuries. Read today that they are interested in signing Jagr because of the injuries.

The St.Louis Blues, are hurting for wingers? Are you just trolling or for serious?

Kostin or Blais have the inside track on a spot, let the Kostin whining begin.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
The St.Louis Blues, are hurting for wingers? Are you just trolling or for serious?

Kostin or Blais have the inside track on a spot, let the Kostin whining begin.
While the Blues certainly have some good young prospects they have been hit hard with injuries. Fabbri is out for the season, Berglund out for months, Sanford is out for months and Steen is also injured(not sure how long). Looks like they are also moving Schenn to center.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So the latest on Horny is he watched practice today with a wrap on his hand. Declared "hopeful" for opening night and Sully mentioned "hopeful he starts game 1 but are taking a cautious approach".

So if he ends up on IR, that means McKegg can stay on the roster without waiving Archie or Pooh to start.

Gotta believe JR's trying to move Pooh tho for something at this point in time.
Question is, if he can't, who does he waive.
Alot here will simply say "Archibald, duh!" but we'll see...

All of this is assuming everyone else stays healthy.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Pouliot is actually a trade chip, he has some sort of value. Archibald is a guy that every team puts on waivers. I don't know why you're pushing the idea that the Penguins are going to waive Pouliot, it just flat out isn't going to happen. He would 100% be claimed within the first 5 teams on the waiver priority. If they're going to get rid of him, they'll trade him for like a 3rd or 4th at bear minimum.

Just trade him to LA for Dowd or to Buffalo for Josefson or someone like that. Just get some sort of NHL center for him and call it a day.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
^Thing you're missing is other teams watch him too and now they have to keep him on thier NHL roster. Pouliot's either wanted by alot of other teams as you claim and has decent value or he doesn't. JR will find that out while shopping him. If Pouliot doesn't have trade value he's easily waived by JR over the others.

If you were another NHL team and watched him play this pre-season would you want him? Other than outlier situations like DET who might swap a Pooh for Sheahan for other reasons and not because they really want Pouliot.

Last edited:

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
^Thing you're missing is other teams watch him too and now they have to keep him on thier NHL roster. Pouliot's either wanted by alot of other teams as you claim and has decent value or he doesn't. JR will find that out while shopping him.

If you were another NHL team and watched him play this pre-season would you want him? Other than that it's outlier situations like DET who might swap a Pooh for Sheahan for other reasons and not because they really want Pouliot.

Yes, because:

A. He hasn't been bad in the preseason, he's been okay. You want bad in the preseason? Look at Pouliot or Gonchar in 2015.
B. There are teams with worse players than Pouliot playing regular minutes for them.
C. Pouliot is still pretty young and a former top-10 pick
D. There are teams out there with very little in terms of D prospects, so taking a gamble on Pouliot is a worthwhile risk for them.

Multiple of New Jersey, Vegas, Colorado, Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, LA and Vancouver would put in a waiver claim on Pouliot. I doubt all of them would, but I think the over/under for that would be 5. You don't like Pouliot, we get it at this point. That doesn't make your opinion of him realistic, when in reality there's no chance in hell he'd get waived.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
From what I've heard, Fehr will be kept around to be the 13th forward because of his versatility. Aaltonen is the one who is stealing the 4C job away from Dominic Moore.

If Moore is waived, I doubt everybody else would pass on him and we would land him. We have the 31st waiver priority spot don't we? For how long?

Teams might not let us grab a halfway decent fourth-line center via waivers.

Either way, a trade is coming. It's just a matter of when, not if.

Aaltonen had a bad game versus Montreal the other night. He kind of got schooled by Drouin on a few occasions, putting into question whether he's ready for NHL duty on what is essentially a checking line. Aaltonen also still being able to go down to the AHL without having to pass through waivers makes him a likely send down.

Fehr, in the meantime, had a very good "positional" game. Good defensively, smart on the PK, good sticks in the passing lanes, etc. That, combined with him having the biggest salary, seemed to make the commentators think he's the front runner for that 4C spot.

Apparently, Moore's had the worst preseason of the three. You know how people on the Pens board are complaining about Reaves not looking all that special? That's been Moore for the Leafs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well, if thats the case, JR should have no problem trading him...Let's see how things play out.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I wish Beau would just go play in Europe for a season, not the KHL, but like the SHL just for a season, get some confidence back, bigger ice surface, get some of his creativity back offensively, then come back next year healthy after proving he can produce again and try again.

I will never not feel bad for that kid, injuries once in a while are tough, but the guy was always injured, that messed with him mentally. People can poke fun at the guy but like Despres, I really hope if healthy, they both some how find a way back, somewhere.

I love both of those guys, but I think Bennett really is too fragile to play an effective game. He needs to be involved and I don't think his shoulders can take it.

I'd love to have Despres if his brain isn't mush.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love both of those guys, but I think Bennett really is too fragile to play an effective game. He needs to be involved and I don't think his shoulders can take it.

I'd love to have Despres if his brain isn't mush.
It's why I think Beau should just go play in Europe for a year, just to play a healthy season even if it's 40-60 games allows him to build up his confidence and get stronger while not missing a ton of time.

It's why I think it's good Despres is in Europe too.

I wish them nothing but the best of luck and I hope they're back in the NHL some day as full-timers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Here's a thought... is Sheahan one of the guys Rutherford was hoping would shake loose, or one of the guys he'd settle for?

Because the stat line reads settle, but given he still hasn't shaken loose, maybe he's the former category. Which would be kinda weird.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Here's a thought... is Sheahan one of the guys Rutherford was hoping would shake loose, or one of the guys he'd settle for?

Because the stat line reads settle, but given he still hasn't shaken loose, maybe he's the former category. Which would be kinda weird.
The holdup with him is AA refusing to sign for a reasonable amount it seems. He isnt anything to write home about though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

He'd be a reclamation project that has very little risk cuz of his contract.
Probably a "he could give us this but if he settles down into this area here, he could still be useful."
I imagine JR is watching him closely + Ventura has poured over the deeper stats.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Blues can take Reaves back if they need a winger. It's pretty depressing that the Pens could have drafted Kostin instead of acquiring Reaves

Ah well

Your assumption is that Kostin was on the Pens radar the entire time, when it really looks like Lauzon was and they took the risk of trading down to the 2nd round pick to still get him after discussions.

So I mean, keep whining about something that would have never happened?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
^Thing you're missing is other teams watch him too and now they have to keep him on thier NHL roster. Pouliot's either wanted by alot of other teams as you claim and has decent value or he doesn't. JR will find that out while shopping him. If Pouliot doesn't have trade value he's easily waived by JR over the others.

If you were another NHL team and watched him play this pre-season would you want him? Other than outlier situations like DET who might swap a Pooh for Sheahan for other reasons and not because they really want Pouliot.

I don't think it's all that much of a longshot. Plenty of teams are happy to trade for change of scenery guys, especially when they're highly drafted offensive D. Our problem is more that we only need one specific thing, which may not be available at all (let alone for that price) than it is finding a GM who would take a chance on Pouliot, I'd expect.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah if Pouliot was a 4th rounder or later kind of kid, he'd pass through waivers with what he's shown. But given his age, his draft status, a team will kick the tires on him especially if he's waived and can be had for free.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm willing to give Reaves, and Sully's ability to work with guys, a chance. But I'll be damned if I think Reaves is going to contribute much of anything offensively. The 4th line can still be very successful, but it's probably going to be the antithesis of what we just won two Cups in a row with.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I feel like Soderberg would be a decent fit. As previously stated, 50% salary would need to be retained.

This year's C depth if the trade happened: Crosby, Malkin, Soderberg, McKegg, Rowney, Blueger/Johnson

Next year: Crosby, Malkin, Johnson, Soderberg, Blueger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad