Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
How am I arguing with nothing when I'm disagreeing with what you are actually saying? :laugh:

I believe it is difficult to replace Bonino. Plus, like I said, you have to replace Bonino and Cullen. Yes give it time, but I'm allowed to disagree with you and talk about my disagreement. Also, the people "losing their shit" on this board is like 1 person.

Fair enough. :laugh: I meant that more about the McKegg comment, and how the current landscape of our 3/4 lines will be dramatically different, but it's all good.

We're not going to be able to replace Cullen. He was better relative to his position and role than Bonino was. Hell, Cullen was probably a better 3C than Bonino.

I just don't think it'll be hard to replace what we needed from Bonino; solid faceoffs, a guy who was able to get his wingers the puck, and solid defensive play. That's not exactly the makings of an incredibly rare player. We'll replace both Bonino and Cullen's production by having GCS for an entire season (an extra 20-25pts from Guentzel over the extra 42 games, another likely 10 or so for Sid, should see Sheary--if healthy--put up 60pts on that line, so an extra ~10pts over last season), coupled with a hopefully healthy Letang (~60-65pts over an entire season, I'd guess, so another 30pts over what he had last year). Bonino and Cullen had 37pts and 31pts respectively, so assuming the guys mentioned stay healthy and perform up to expectations, that's about breaking even across the length of a full season. Then, whatever chip-in production from McKegg, a healthy Hagelin, and whomever we finally land when JR/Sully figure out who their guy is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fair enough. :laugh: I meant that more about the McKegg comment, and how the current landscape of our 3/4 lines will be dramatically different, but it's all good.

We're not going to be able to replace Cullen. He was better relative to his position and role than Bonino was. Hell, Cullen was probably a better 3C than Bonino.

I just don't think it'll be hard to replace what we needed from Bonino; solid faceoffs, a guy who was able to get his wingers the puck, and solid defensive play. That's not exactly the makings of an incredibly rare player. We'll replace both Bonino and Cullen's production by having GCS for an entire season (an extra 20-25pts from Guentzel over the extra 42 games, another likely 10 or so for Sid, should see Sheary--if healthy--put up 60pts on that line, so an extra ~10pts over last season), coupled with a hopefully healthy Letang (~60-65pts over an entire season, I'd guess, so another 30pts over what he had last year). Bonino and Cullen had 37pts and 31pts respectively, so assuming the guys mentioned stay healthy and perform up to expectations, that's about breaking even across the length of a full season. Then, whatever chip-in production from McKegg, a healthy Hagelin, and whomever we finally land when JR/Sully figure out who their guy is.

You're assuming way too much. We will lose production. It is a simple fact.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I've been busy so forgive me if it's been asked/answered already, is there anyone worth picking up via waivers that would be a better option than McKegg?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Again, and I don't how much more clearly I can state it, you are downplaying Bonino's importance to this team. It's not just faceoffs, getting wingers the puck, and solid defensive play. We disagree and that's okay.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I heard there was a good RW on waivers, good possession numbers that can play with geno :allears:

Who? I assume you're being sarcastic, but I looked at the list and can't imagine who you're talking about.

Edit. NM, Bennett. Remember when he was "untouchable" ?

Last edited:
Reactions: billybudd

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I've been busy so forgive me if it's been asked/answered already, is there anyone worth picking up via waivers that would be a better option than McKegg?

Haven't seen anyone. I think it'll be interesting to see what happens in Toronto with Moore and Fehr. Those two could make things interesting, and I assume that one will hit waivers.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I would certainly take a flyer on Fehr. He scored 19 a year before he came to the pens and he was buried on the 4th line here.

Can't be worse than Kegger

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
The issues I have with bringing back Fehr are:

A. Would he be upset about how last season played out? I think he asked for a trade IIRC.
B. If the Leafs are going to move a center, why not inquire about Moore instead of Fehr? I don't think either are projected to be in the Leafs lineup, so I'd rather go after Moore (who also may not make the Leafs). I think if you throw a pick at them, even a low one, you could probably get them to bite on Moore if they're going to waive either him or Fehr.
C. Would Fehr bring really anything the Penguins don't have already? I wouldn't call him anything more than a 4C to be completely honest.

Like I said, Moore is the guy I'd be targeting from the Leafs if they're going to move a center.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Think Fehr asking for a trade was just business. Depth was such that he was going to be in and out of the lineup. Figured he'd get more ice time and possibly another contract on another team, where he would have known that if he stayed a platoon player in Pitt, that was the end of the road.

I love Fehr, but I'm not necessarily sure what he's got left with all the damage he's taken. Probably more than some of the candidates for the same job, but that's still cap space going towards a depreciating guy, which limits your ability to do something else later.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Speaking of Eric Fehr, it's kind of funny how he's on the brink of stealing the 4C spot from Dominic Moore, and potentially resulting in Toronto sending Moore to the minors. The same Moore who people were all up in arms about JR not signing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Speaking of Eric Fehr, it's kind of funny how he's on the brink of stealing the 4C spot from Dominic Moore, and potentially resulting in Toronto sending Moore to the minors. The same Moore who people were all up in arms about JR not signing.

Toronto has been amassing depth in the minors for days. Who is pushing out Rowney? Oh right. A Toronto throwaway in McKegg.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto has been amassing depth in the minors for days. Who is pushing out Rowney? Oh right. A Toronto throwaway in McKegg.

I just found it funny that a guy people were insisting the Pens sign and complained when they missed on him might still be available if the Pens want him when Toronto puts him on waivers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I just found it funny that a guy people were insisting the Pens sign and complained when they missed on him might still be available if the Pens want him when Toronto puts him on waivers.

We are still running two borderline NHLers as our bottom six centers. Shouldn't it be funny that a back to back cup champion is having to resort to waivers to address a position they have "100s of trades" lined up for?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We are still running two borderline NHLers as our bottom six centers. Shouldn't it be funny that a back to back cup champion is having to resort to waivers to address a position they have "100s of trades" lined up for?

If it'll make you happy, I'll say sure.

(Not sure why you quoted "100s of trades" as though it's something I've said at some point)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The issue is that he carries a 2m cap hit. Which means if we get him, we're basically committed to him for most of the season.

I also don't think the organization wants him back since there were issues with his skating. I don't see him as a better option than Rowney. Maybe Pens would have interest in Moore, but they may not get him on waivers if there are other interested parties. They'd have to make a trade with TOR. The cost might be higher than we think since Lou apparently was trying to fleece us out of Maatta for a rental (Bozak)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
From what I've heard, Fehr will be kept around to be the 13th forward because of his versatility. Aaltonen is the one who is stealing the 4C job away from Dominic Moore.

If Moore is waived, I doubt everybody else would pass on him and we would land him. We have the 31st waiver priority spot don't we? For how long?

Teams might not let us grab a halfway decent fourth-line center via waivers.

Either way, a trade is coming. It's just a matter of when, not if.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Beau Bennett.
I wish Beau would just go play in Europe for a season, not the KHL, but like the SHL just for a season, get some confidence back, bigger ice surface, get some of his creativity back offensively, then come back next year healthy after proving he can produce again and try again.

I will never not feel bad for that kid, injuries once in a while are tough, but the guy was always injured, that messed with him mentally. People can poke fun at the guy but like Despres, I really hope if healthy, they both some how find a way back, somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad