GDT: The Return of Kovy: Kings @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i’m just saying, we have the space if they’re looking for a cap dump...especially if they’re willing to retain 20% or so.

to nj: kovalchuk (15% retained), forbort
to la: 6th round pick
it would never work out, he's basically banned from this fanbase, with everything that's happened. fans would never take him back

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
A millionaire athlete can't afford to relocate his parents to the NYC metro area? Literally could have bought his parents a mansion and given them the best medical care on the planet (I doubt that any hospitals in Minnesota can compare to what's available in NYC).

I think you're a little ignorant of the situation. JP Parise was a frigging pillar of hockey - and the hockey director of Shattuck-St-Mary's (Sid Crosby? Jonathon Toews?). He was a former Islander so he had lived here, and a former North Star and that's where Zach grew up - so it wasn't a 'ok, son, I'll follow you' sort of thing.

You're probably wrong about Minnesota hospitals too. (there's a Mayo Clinic there)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it would never work out, he's basically banned from this fanbase, with everything that's happened. fans would never take him back

i would hope that fans would want what is best for the team, and not let petty nonsense get in the way...but you may be right

Reactions: trufleshufle13

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i would hope that fans would want what is best for the team, and not let petty nonsense get in the way...but you may be right
he's getting old, and i don't think he'd be that good for our team. right now, he's REALLY a merc, and belong to stanley cup contenders. we're a bottom feeder this season.

maybe he'll join panarin in florida or something

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
he's getting old, and i don't think he'd be that good for our team. right now, he's REALLY a merc, and belong to stanley cup contenders. we're a bottom feeder this season.

maybe he'll join panarin in florida or something

oh well just to be clear, getting kovy isn’t necessarily what’s best for us (although he’s no marc savard)...but getting an asset (draft picks would be ideal obviously, or a prospect like forbort) would definitely be in our best interest.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Wait, why Gabriel?

I am so surprised people are wondering why this guy is dressing... we have a lineup made up 20 year old soft players.. who I am sure feel a little better out there knowing this guy has their back.... ... this team lacks toughness ... Zajac is probably the toughest forward on the team.. thats an issue.. while I get that Gabriel is a non factor on the hockey end.. if he can grind it out and add some physical play with 6 minutes tonight then I think it fills a void at least for now while there are a few injuries... how many seneys/// bratts... staffords... palmeries... etc etc can you have in your lineup man

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I am so surprised people are wondering why this guy is dressing... we have a lineup made up 20 year old soft players.. who I am sure feel a little better out there knowing this guy has their back.... ... this team lacks toughness ... Zajac is probably the toughest forward on the team.. thats an issue.. while I get that Gabriel is a non factor on the hockey end.. if he can grind it out and add some physical play with 6 minutes tonight then I think it fills a void at least for now while there are a few injuries... how many seneys/// bratts... staffords... palmeries... etc etc can you have in your lineup man
wood and coleman

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
you probably believe putin really scored all those goals in that game he played in too

Well I definitely dont make up stuff out of thin air, which is what you'd need to do to "insist" that Kovalchuk was paid in USD rather than RUB without any evidence or logical rational for it.

Maybe he was paid in Cobra venom or paperclips? There's as much logic for that than to insist he was paid in USD with no reason to suggest it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Well I definitely dont make up stuff out of thin air, which is what you'd need to do to "insist" that Kovalchuk was paid in USD rather than RUB without any evidence or logical rational for it.

Maybe he was paid in Cobra venom or paperclips? There's as much logic for that than to insist he was paid in USD with no reason to suggest it.

i'm just going by what we know of russia and the way they go about business. its not exactly on the up and up. i get that on the level the nigel dawes of the khl are paid russian but i am highly skeptical that the elites like datz and kovy are on the same level.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

what’s the ratio of cobra venom to stanley nickels?

Reactions: NjDevsRR

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
With Kinkaid in goal, its a sure bet you guys will win...

Go Devils!
Final score:
Kovy 1
Devils 500000

just curious what you guys would give us in exchange for taking kovy off your hands. looking for picks or defensive prospects

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
just curious what you guys would give us in exchange for taking kovy off your hands. looking for picks or defensive prospects

The guy has like 25 points in 40 games. He wouldn't be a cap dump. LA also has zero reasons to give up assets to get rid of him. They're dead last in the West lol.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Where did you get your time machine? I can't get mine to take me back to 1993 when guys like Gabriel served a purpose.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The guy has like 25 points in 40 games. He wouldn't be a cap dump. LA also has zero reasons to give up assets to get rid of him. They're dead last in the West lol.

i think i articulated earlier that he’s not a cap dump. but he’s on their books at a 6.25M capit hit for two more years, and is in no way a fit on a team that basically has it’s work cut out for them with a rebuild on the horizon. the rumor is la is willing to retain salary in a deal and kovy is ok with being moved- i don’t think there’s any question that a deal is possible. that being said, i’d be very surprised if kovy waived his NMC to come here, but it’s still fun to think about in between meetings

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
A millionaire athlete can't afford to relocate his parents to the NYC metro area? Literally could have bought his parents a mansion and given them the best medical care on the planet (I doubt that any hospitals in Minnesota can compare to what's available in NYC).
Or, you know, he's an adult who excelled enough at his career to allow him to make whatever decision he saw best.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
i think i articulated earlier that he’s not a cap dump. but he’s on their books at a 6.25M capit hit for two more years, and is in no way a fit on a team that basically has it’s work cut out for them with a rebuild on the horizon. the rumor is la is willing to retain salary in a deal and kovy is ok with being moved- i don’t think there’s any question that a deal is possible. that being said, i’d be very surprised if kovy waived his NMC to come here, but it’s still fun to think about in between meetings

Yeah they would retain salary but they would still be looking for some decent assets coming back, not giving them up.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
We wouldn't have the current ownership group in place if Kovalchuk had not "decided" to leave.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Interesting:

"Kovalchuk still has connections to New Jersey beyond his former teammates. He owns a house in Alpine and he returned there Monday after the Kings’ morning skate. He had lunch with Devils’ defenseman Egor Yakovlev, a teammate of his at the Sochi Olympics and in the KHL with SKA St. Petersburg.

It was Kovalchuck who encouraged Yakovlev to come to the Devils when New Jersey was pursuing him. He lauded the area, telling Yakovlev it would be a great place for his budding family. And it was Kovlachuk who encouraged the 27-year-old to take advantage of an opportunity to play in the NHL."

https://www.northjersey.com/story/s...huk-first-time-since-he-left-2013/2776454002/

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Interesting:

"Kovalchuk still has connections to New Jersey beyond his former teammates. He owns a house in Alpine and he returned there Monday after the Kings’ morning skate. He had lunch with Devils’ defenseman Egor Yakovlev, a teammate of his at the Sochi Olympics and in the KHL with SKA St. Petersburg.

It was Kovalchuck who encouraged Yakovlev to come to the Devils when New Jersey was pursuing him. He lauded the area, telling Yakovlev it would be a great place for his budding family. And it was Kovlachuk who encouraged the 27-year-old to take advantage of an opportunity to play in the NHL."

'They don't boo nobodies:' NJ Devils welcome back Ilya Kovalchuk
hmmm I wonder what he is planning...... seems fishy.....

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Interesting:

'They don't boo nobodies:' NJ Devils welcome back Ilya Kovalchuk
Lots of NHL players love NJ once they get here. Wish more players took note of this area. You get the city living without being in the city. You can also have the mountains and beach as well. This state offers everything.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
LA isn't going to give us a bluechip player or top prospect. They're a barren rebuilding team who needs to hold onto futures.

We're in very good cap shape with deals expiring over the next few years. Next summer, Hall and Vatanen are UFA and Nico and Bratt are both RFA. The year after that, Zajac, Palmieri, and Coleman are all UFA. I know we have buckets of cap space but taking on cap dumps right now isn't as appealing as it was 3 years ago. We have guys to re-sign and holes to address via free agency/trade, so we need a lot more wiggle room.

And this is a little different than Savard, who we didn't have to pay any salary to because of insurance. I don't think spending +$12,000,000 to buy a 2nd pick in 2021 and some B level prospect is worth it.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Lots of NHL players love NJ once they get here. Wish more players took note of this area. You get the city living without being in the city. You can also have the mountains and beach as well. This state offers everything.
Every selling point of Jersey is the same for living on LI to attract an nhl player. Close to the city, better beaches then Jersey (no offense), quality of life, top notch practice facility and areana(will be once belmont opens).
Only differences are that it takes longer to get to mountains upstate, and bagels/pizza from li/ny are the best in the nation, and it's not even close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad