GDT: The Return of Kovy: Kings @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
a gdt hitting 5 pages 6 hours before puck drop? ah kovy, you still got it

also, another brain dead goaltending choice by hynes. this should’ve been a slam dunk for schneider

I'm surprised its still seems quiet here. If one didn't know the context, you'd be wondering why two bottom teams are drawing so much conversation. With some rosters thrown out like no one gives a shit anymore.

As JK3 said, we've almost reached full end. Just a few more hours to go....

The "days of our Kovalchuks" will be over soon... I'll miss it! And by far the most polarizing player HFB has ever witnessed....

Reactions: JK3

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
How do you know his contract wasn't stipulated to be paid in USD over there, that is not necessarily uncommon outside of the US, particularly for lucrative jobs that expect some guaranteed pay. Or in EUR? The KHL is international league, exceptions could be made.

But all this conjecture its pointless now, and bears no good fruit, anyway. To be judging a man's potential financial gain or loss (from the outside) seems to be a bit petty.... at least, for hockey fans.

Forbes article mentioned contracts are in Rubles but I agree with you that Kovy may have had special contract rules just for him.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
How do you know his contract wasn't stipulated to be paid in USD over there

KHL contracts are paid, by rule, in domestic currency. There's nothing to speculate.

Also, if you know anything about Russia, there are pretty obvious political reasons that there's absolutely no way in hell oligarchs would be allowed to pay their star players in "non Mother Land" currency. Zero percent chance of that!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The "days of our Kovalchuks" will be over soon... I'll miss it! And by far the most polarizing player HFB has ever witnessed....

you haven’t learned anything, have you? it’ll never be over lol. it’s one of the most bizarre situations i’ve ever seen as a devils fan, from the moment that first contract was rejected, and it never ends. here’s the next chapter:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm surprised its still seems quiet here. If one didn't know the context, you'd be wondering why two bottom teams are drawing so much conversation. With some rosters thrown out like no one gives a **** anymore.

As JK3 said, we've almost reached full end. Just a few more hours to go....

Until he’s a FA again after the Kings buy him out and people start begging for us to give him a deal again

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I couldn't care less about Kovalchuk at this point. I'm glad that dreadful contract has been off the books. Did we really want to be paying a 35-year-old Kovalchuk $8.5mil this year to put up Severson-esque numbers?

Sure, he's a d-bag and left in a d-bag way. But the dude's ancient history.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
KHL contracts are paid, by rule, in domestic currency. There's nothing to speculate.

Also, if you know anything about Russia, there are pretty obvious political reasons that there's absolutely no way in hell oligarchs would be allowed to pay their star players in "non Mother Land" currency. Zero percent chance of that!

Maybe it is as clear cut as the standard KHL contract, I just don't know but wouldn't surprise me if it was not.

(And yes, I am well versed with Russia\Russians etc not for this thread :) )

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Parise is the one that bothers me the most. He really strung us a long and then stabbed us in the back ala Tavares this past summer. And to go to effing Minnesota of all places?! I mean, sure it's his home, but c'mon, the guys a grown man, you don't go home to mommy.

Uhh.. how's about "cancer-riddled Dad on his deathbed?"

does that count?

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
to be fair he didn't have cancer when he left.... but it's harder to hate in retrospect

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’m just saying, we have the space if they’re looking for a cap dump...especially if they’re willing to retain 20% or so.

to nj: kovalchuk (15% retained), forbort
to la: 6th round pick

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
to be fair he didn't have cancer when he left.... but it's harder to hate in retrospect

He had cancer for 15 years - and his health was declining. They didn't diagnose stage4 lung cancer until just after Zach signed, but he was clearly on the way out when Zach was making his decision.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Nope.

All KHL salaries are paid in RUB, with the exception of the teams in Latvia, Finland, and Slovakia, which are paid in EUR (for obvious reasons).

After taking into account the fact his tax rate as a millionaire in America would have been 53% versus his tax rate on a millionaire in Russia at 13%, Kovalchuk made about 4 MILLION USD less by playing in Russia than if he stayed in New Jersey! It totally backfired on him.

That fact gives me heart tingles. :heart:

if its one thing i have learned in life. its that russia doesn't exactly play by the rules. I have no doubt in my mind that kovy got paid in dollars. i'm sure anyone that made a stink out of it or mentioned it? they probably are lucky to be alive in siberia

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Guy I wanted from LA was already traded, so screw them.

i agree, that’s who i wanted too. but forbort is exactly the type of defenseman we need. plus, think of all the fobort license plate references we can make. ‘my son is also named forbort’ etc

Reactions: Emperoreddy

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

you probably believe putin really scored all those goals in that game he played in too

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Uhh.. how's about "cancer-riddled Dad on his deathbed?"

does that count?

A millionaire athlete can't afford to relocate his parents to the NYC metro area? Literally could have bought his parents a mansion and given them the best medical care on the planet (I doubt that any hospitals in Minnesota can compare to what's available in NYC).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Ever watch the videos? No one even tries against the guy.

tYCExxR_748271307384841moe.jpg

Reactions: Call Me Al
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad