GDT: The Return of Kovy: Kings @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I'm watching these games more out of habit at this point since there is very little entertainment value. We've developed a few games in our house, just to make it bearable. "How many times will Wood fall down?" "How many times Greene sends a weak wrister into a goalie's chest?" etc.

So five years in, are we now rebuilding the rebuild?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
What does that say about Hall as a leader? The entire system has been designed to let him play offense. I could probably find one picture a game where he's cherry picking and not playing defense. People bashed Kovy for this, but why is Hall immune from this criticism?
Qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in 5 years on the back of a hart trophy campaign will do that for you.

C'mon man.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in 5 years on the back of a hart trophy campaign will do that for you.

C'mon man.

Sure he accomplished more individually last year than Kovalsuck ever did here, but on the other hand there's really no comparing the merc being a key player in a playoff run where we 'beat' the Rangers and Flyers to get to the Finals, to a playoff where we lasted five games.

Of course Hall never had any of the off-ice drama of the merc either. So if there's a reason he gets more benefit of the doubt it's that.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Sure he accomplished more individually last year than Kovalsuck ever did here, but on the other hand there's really no comparing the merc being a key player in a playoff run where we 'beat' the Rangers and Flyers to get to the Finals, and a playoff where we lasted five games.
Sure.

But there's no comparing a rebuild to an established eastern conference powerhouse with experienced guys like Zach and Marty either.

Kovy was complimentary here, not the main driver for (hopeful) future success.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
What does that say about Hall as a leader? The entire system has been designed to let him play offense. I could probably find one picture a game where he's cherry picking and not playing defense. People bashed Kovy for this, but why is Hall immune from this criticism?

The difference is Lou and whoever he had behind the bench never really allowed a system or the team to be built around a single player. There were times Kovalchuk would do his own thing and there were subtle comments or reactions Elias had over the years about that, but outside of the power play, it never got to an overwhelming point with Kovalchuk.

I don't think what is in place here at the moment is solely built around Hall. That isn't to say certain parts of the system aren't built to suit him, which they are, but I don't think they are overly pronounced. The team just isn't built well to begin with. Things go wrong with every team every season, but the teams that are able to hang in there, have a fallback plan or plans when and if those issues come up. Depth has something to do with that and this was the most significant issue that wasn't addressed coming into the season and is partially why the Devils are where they are now.

So once again, we are back to the drawing board this off-season in a rebuild where the room for understanding and patience excuses do wear thinner. The time isn't now, but at some point in the near future of the next season or two, it will get to the point of put up or shut up time with what has been put in place here over the past 4 seasons.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The difference is Lou and whoever he had behind the bench never really allowed a system or the team to be built around a single player. There were times Kovalchuk would do his own thing and there were subtle comments or reactions Elias had over the years about that, but outside of the power play, it never got to an overwhelming point with Kovalchuk.

I don't think what is in place here at the moment is solely built around Hall. That isn't to say certain parts of the system aren't built to suit him, which they are, but I don't think they are overly pronounced. The team just isn't built well to begin with. Things go wrong with every team every season, but the teams that are able to hang in there, have a fallback plan or plans when and if those issues come up. Depth has something to do with that and this was the most significant issue that wasn't addressed coming into the season and is partially why the Devils are where they are now.

So once again, we are back to the drawing board this off-season in a rebuild where the room for understanding and patience excuses do wear thinner. The time isn't now, but at some point in the near future of the next season or two, it will get to the point of put up or shut up time with what has been put in place here over the past 4 seasons.

Excellent post. Really spot on.

I'll just say that I'm not at all disheartened by the approach - but I'm terribly disheartened by the seeming lack of PROGRESS or momentum. There doesn't seem to be any good practices we are trying to instill to help our players grow their game - they are just floundering and running around at an increasing frequency game after game.

The bottom line is that you really can't point to anything after a game and say 'well at least we played as a cohesive unit in our zone that period...' It is completely freewheeling to anyone's individual strengths in the offensive zone - so we cannot really *manufacture* anything - and our D zone is complete mayhem.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Shero said he had a 5 year plan correct? So next year is season 5, definitely time to put up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad