GDT: The Return of Kovy: Kings @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
All got booed as well besides Madden because he was at the end of his career. Can even argue Mac might have had his jersey retired if he didn't leave. Holik had fake money dumped on his head at the old arena in his first game back as a Ranger lol

Booing is fine, part of the fan freedom. I won't hate the guy, though.

JMac going to Rangers briefly was also ridiculous, same with Holik/Gomez. I still have good memories of their first and second tenures :). I remember how it seemed inconceivable at the time, when the rivary was stronger then. But now, still love Bobby, not a player like him in the league since he retired.

... and that last tidbit about Holik, I didn't know (the money dump on head), that is very funny...

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
All got booed as well besides Madden because he was at the end of his career. Can even argue Mac might have had his jersey retired if he didn't leave. Holik had fake money dumped on his head at the old arena in his first game back as a Ranger lol
gomer, mac, and holik had every right to be booed, they joined those bastards in blue

Reactions: Satans Hockey

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
If I say the over under is 1.5 goals for Kovalchuk tonight. How many of you are taking the over? I think I would. I have a bad feeling, but still BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
i think it's a little naive to think it had to do with family i think first and foremost was money, second was the treatment/celebrity aspect in russia as they seemed to lay it on pretty thick when he was there during the lockout, then ownership/financial issues here might have played a role and then maybe at the end family. he was what, 30 years old and on a contract for 12 more years, you dont just get homesick and back out on a legal obligation like that

That’s what’s hard for people to understand here.

In Russia Kovalchuk is like a superstar. He’s like what we view as a Tom Brady or Lebron James. He went to the most popular and richest KHL team (basically like the Leafs) and captained multiple cup winning teams over there making more money than here.

In the US/Canada he’s a respected NHLer but in the wide spectrum nobody really knows who he is.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
We should also be thankful to Kovy in that he had a ton of contract offers, especially a big one in LA along with the one in Russia that was huge in which he rejected them all to go to NJ.

He later created that amazing 2011 run where we almost made the playoffs (still my favorite regular season as a Devils fan ever) along with what everyone knows as the 2012 cup run.

Before that we never had a superstar free agent sign on our team. Lou’s trade for a deadline Kovalchuk for basically chump change was one of the best trades this franchise ever made because Kovy loved the way the franchise was run and it convinced him to sign here.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Lou’s trade for a deadline Kovalchuk for basically chump change was one of the best trades this franchise ever made because Kovy loved the way the franchise was run and it convinced him to sign here.

Yeah, it is wild that the best pieces we gave up were Oduya and the first round pick (Which turned in to Kevin Hayes). What a trade.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Am I the only one who couldnt care less about Kovalchuk (yawn)?

I pretty much view his entire career as a huge disappointment given his skill level.

Kovalchuk is a guy on the 16th hole of his career who's overpaid and on a team even worse than New Jersey, who has never won anything in his life, other than a "championship" in a hockey league that is all but fixed, and an Olympic medal in a tournament when only his team had its' A-team.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

I pretty much view his entire career as a huge disappointment given his skill level.

Kovalchuk is a guy on the 16th hole of his career who's overpaid and on a team even worse than New Jersey, who has never won anything in his life, other than a "championship" in a hockey league that is all but fixed, and an Olympic medal in a tournament when only his team had its' A-team.

well i certainly wouldn't call it a disappointment. not as good as it would've been if he stayed? yeah definitely

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013

Team success doesn't determine individual success. Look at McDavid on the Oilers. The Oilers are pretty much set on missing the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years with the best player on the planet. You think McDavid would have made the Thrashers franchise any better than Kovalchuk?

Same with the Russian national team. Are Ovechkin, Malkin, and numerous other Russians horrible? I don't think so. First, Canada exists and secondly the Russians are very poorly coached on the national level.

Its funny that in the few small years Kovalchuk played with a successful franchise and good coaches he was 2 games away from winning the Cup.

Take 2011 as an example. John Maclean was the worst coach in franchise history (probably in NHL history) then you put Jacques Lemaire in and the team has the best regular season in their second half in franchise history. Its all about coaching and management, players can only do so much in a poor system.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yeah the family matter was not having to deal with escrow with his SKA money.

No, the tax rate on high wage earners in Russia is MUCH, MUCH lower than the tax rate on millionaires in America, which was the far bigger financial factor in Kovy's deci$ion.

Which is why this chart of the demise of the Russian Ruble versus the US Dollar since Koby signed his KHL contract should make every Devils fan smile.

As you can see, it didn't work out financially as well as Kovy thought it would!

RubFail.jpg

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Kovalchuk was probably paid in dollars, so the ruble falling would've been good for him financially

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
We should also be thankful to Kovy in that he had a ton of contract offers, especially a big one in LA along with the one in Russia that was huge in which he rejected them all to go to NJ.

He later created that amazing 2011 run where we almost made the playoffs (still my favorite regular season as a Devils fan ever) along with what everyone knows as the 2012 cup run.

Before that we never had a superstar free agent sign on our team. Lou’s trade for a deadline Kovalchuk for basically chump change was one of the best trades this franchise ever made because Kovy loved the way the franchise was run and it convinced him to sign here.
dude 2011 was insane

HF was LITTTTTTTTT, i still remember being a young poster

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Kovalchuk was probably paid in dollars, so the ruble falling would've been good for him financially

Nope.

All KHL salaries are paid in RUB, with the exception of the teams in Latvia, Finland, and Slovakia, which are paid in EUR (for obvious reasons).

After taking into account the fact his tax rate as a millionaire in America would have been 53% versus his tax rate on a millionaire in Russia at 13%, Kovalchuk made about 4 MILLION USD less by playing in Russia than if he stayed in New Jersey! It totally backfired on him.

That fact gives me heart tingles. :heart:

Reactions: NJDevs26

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
No, the tax rate on high wage earners in Russia is MUCH, MUCH lower than the tax rate on millionaires in America, which was the far bigger financial factor in Kovy's deci$ion.

Which is why this chart of the demise of the Russian Ruble versus the US Dollar since Koby signed his KHL contract should make every Devils fan smile.

As you can see, it didn't work out financially as well for Kovy thought is would!

RubFail.jpg

How do you know his contract wasn't stipulated to be paid in USD over there, that is not necessarily uncommon outside of the US, particularly for lucrative jobs that expect some guaranteed pay. Or in EUR? The KHL is international league, exceptions could be made.

But all this conjecture its pointless now, and bears no good fruit, anyway. To be judging a man's potential financial gain or loss (from the outside) seems to be a bit petty.... at least, for hockey fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad