News Article: The Return of John Davidson (Dispatch confirms JD returning as President)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
One Brickheaded decision at a time by ownership.

In the absence of the Panarin gift, this franchise never would have reached its non lofty heights when Davidson was here. He was central to the idiotic RFA philosophy which has probably been the weakest link of this franchise. Under his "guidance" most of the decisions which led to the last two piss poor seasons were made.

A laughably bad (re) hire. If there ever was a band that didn't need to bring its departed front man back it was the CBJ. Cue the circus music because the CBJ have just entered the clown show era again.

Welcome back, JD!

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

paragon

May 5, 2010
JD also played just as big of hardball with the RFAs in tandem with Jarmo.
I think RFA hardballing is just a convenient excuse. They didn't hardball Carter, Panarin or Duchene etc. I might think the RFA issue has merit if Columbus was able to land big UFAs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
One Brickheaded decision at a time by ownership.

In the absence of the Panarin gift, this franchise never would have reached its non lofty heights when Davidson was here. He was central to the idiotic RFA philosophy which has probably been the weakest link of this franchise. Under his "guidance" the decision making which led to the last two piss poor seasons were made.

A laughably bad (re) hire. If there ever was a band that didn't need to bring its departed front man back it was the CBJ. Cue the circus music because the CBJ have just entered the clown show era again.

Welcome back, JD!

...figured this post was only a matter of time, really.

Will you be going back to your "the broadcaster and the scout" derisive nickname bit, or do you think a second go-around requires a new approach to childish dismissal? ;)

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I think RFA hardballing is just a convenient excuse. They didn't hardball Carter, Panarin or Duchene etc. I might think the RFA issue has merit if Columbus was able to land big UFAs.

Hardball Carter, Panarin or Duchene? WTF? Those guys were never RFAs here.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
...figured this post was only a matter of time, really.

Will you be going back to your "the broadcaster and the scout" derisive nickname bit, or do you think a second go-around requires a new approach to childish dismissal? ;)

As was your knee jerk defense of all things CBJ managment.

Just keep on blindly worshiping this third rate management. :laugh:

Oh, and JD has never really distinguished himself as a manager. As a broadcaster.....

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As was your knee jerk defense of all things CBJ managment.

Just keep on blindly worshiping this third rate management. :laugh:

Oh, and JD has never really distinguished himself as a manager. As a broadcaster.....
Defense? I don't recall saying anything about this particular decision. For the record, I'm kind of meh but hoping it works out. I was just more amused at the immediate and overwhelming hatred.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If you can't see there would have been a drop-off after completely mortgaging the future and with Panarin leaving regardless of if JD would have stayed or not then I'm not sure anything can change your perception.

Less we also recall that this team that was on such a GREAT trajectory according to you barely made the playoffs that season as an 8th seed.

JD also played just as big of hardball with the RFAs in tandem with Jarmo.

Sorry, I like JD as a man but I'm not doing backflips wearing my rose colored glasses on this one.

I'm looking at more the decisions Jarmo made while he was gone and not the ones that were made while he was here. There were missteps made and perhaps having more hockey people in the org could have resulted in different decisions.

I don't claim JD is a savior or the greatest ever but I have always disagreed with not filling his (or Zito's) position when he left because stripping the front office down might have saved pennies but didn't save the end product. Rehiring a POHOP (JD or anyone else who is qualified) is the correct move for the organization.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So with JD coming back I also hear a rumor that Panarin is going to enter the witness protection program because of Russian mob threats.

Coincidentally, the CBJ are in the running to sign this new unknown forward named Arthur Panera from a Connecticut roller hockey league. He hear he's got some real skills.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So with JD coming back I also hear a rumor that Panarin is going to enter the witness protection program because of Russian mob threats.

Coincidentally, the CBJ are in the running to sign this new unknown forward named Arthur Panera from a Connecticut roller hockey league. He hear he's got some real skills.

He stays in game shape by playing in his garage.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Arturo Panarini, his English not so good. Big moustache.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Your point makes zero sense.

The point was that we don't know how much the hardballing actually mattered. We're having difficulty retaining star players whether they were our RFAs or not.

FWIW I do very much hope that Jarmo and JD have learned their lesson from the Anderson 2017 saga.

Reactions: paragon

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My unsophisticated take on this is I like JD personally, but I wish we could have got a new voice here. Having said that, I still get chills thinking about our playoff run a couple of years ago and the excitement it brought to the city for the first time. I just want to win and I hope this is a good move.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I finally decided to check in here, because I figured that part of the board would be giddy and the other would be doom and gloom. HF Boards never disappoints. I like the move. I don't blame JD for taking a shot at his dream job, most of us here would. I thought the move made a lot of sense because JD was the "rock" of this franchise when he was here and it really has resembled a rudderless ship since he left.

This is a good surprise first step in the biggest offseason in club history. Wouldn't it be something if the Jackets won the draft lottery? I think the possibility of Jack Eichel ending up here is improving. I think Seth is probably as good as signed. I would think he's in the 8 year, 72-75 million range.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and DJA

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The Owls old coach Moe Bartoli is a frequent commentator on this board. Maybe we should hire him too.
:laugh::laugh: I’m not the former coach but use his name to honor my first hockey home team (Checkers) and love for the sport.....but small details notwithstanding, I am available. :nod:

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
The point was that we don't know how much the hardballing actually mattered. We're having difficulty retaining star players whether they were our RFAs or not.

FWIW I do very much hope that Jarmo and JD have learned their lesson from the Anderson 2017 saga.

Wasn't just Anderson.

And the actual point was about why I'm not calling this a slam dunk hiring because things weren't all roses and sugarplums under JD's tenure. The hardballing of RFAs -- often cited as a Jarmo problem --being one example.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad