News Article: The Return of John Davidson (Dispatch confirms JD returning as President)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wasn't just Anderson.

I'm not sure I remember all of them that well.

- The Johansen case is a little bit different because they didn't like the player, and ended up making a great trade.

- The Werenski case ended up just fine, I'm only upset because they let Tortorella spout off about it, which to me is cheating the player.

What did you have in mind?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'm not sure I remember all of them that well.

- The Johansen case is a little bit different because they didn't like the player, and ended up making a great trade.

- The Werenski case ended up just fine, I'm only upset because they let Tortorella spout off about it, which to me is cheating the player.

What did you have in mind?

Bobrovsky was the other very contentious one. Not that I'm saying I wish he would have resigned but that relationship was never the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bobrovsky was the other very contentious one. Not that I'm saying I wish he would have resigned but that relationship was never the same.

Did they denigrate him in some way during the negotiation?

I never noticed anything amiss until the whole sports-psychologist blow up.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Sequels are never as good as originals !!!!! the Empire Strikes Back was the best Star Wars movie ever

Reactions: koteka

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Did they denigrate him in some way during the negotiation?

I never noticed anything amiss until the whole sports-psychologist blow up.

Yeah -- they played hardball after that first Vezina in that 12-13 shortened season. Got him to sign that 2 year deal.

If I recall correctly it was one of those take this contract or we'll trade you deals.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah -- they played hardball after that first Vezina in that 12-13 shortened season. Got him to sign that 2 year deal.

If I recall correctly it was one of those take this contract or we'll trade you deals.
I don’t recall what he was asking but he literally came off his entry level deal to a 5.6 million upgrade.

Maybe his ask was excessive at the time.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I don’t recall what he was asking but he literally came off his entry level deal to a 5.6 million upgrade.

Maybe his ask was excessive at the time.

Correct. He wanted longer term/more $$ bc he had that shiny Vezina in his pocket. Problem from the CBJ side was he only had the one great year coming off that trade from Philly (who had thrown big money at Bryzgalov).

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I saw they did a press conference today. Why can’t I find it on social media to watch? They usually have everything on YouTube.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd really love to hear what JD would say about how certain things were handled in his previous stint as CBJ President.

Especially

1) speaking publicly about Bobrovsky's need for a sports psychologist.

2) taking the hammer to Josh Anderson and forcing him into a $1.7m three year deal.

I really want to hear him say that these were missteps, and that they've learned from them. I've been complaining about these incidents since they occurred four years ago, but obviously JD and Jarmo didn't think they were mistakes when they made them. What do they think now?

paragon

May 5, 2010
Bob signed a 4 year deal after his bridge deal which included 3 UFA years. He's actually one of the few real star players ever to commit prime UFA years to Columbus even when he didn't have to. I think that kind of proves the relationshop wasn't too damaged.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'd really love to hear what JD would say about how certain things were handled in his previous stint as CBJ President.

Especially

2) taking the hammer to Josh Anderson and forcing him into a $1.7m three year deal.

I really want to hear him say that these were missteps, and that they've learned from them. I've been complaining about these incidents since they occurred four years ago, but obviously JD and Jarmo didn't think they were mistakes when they made them. What do they think now?

But both of those fall on Jarmo wouldn’t they?

He’s the one who oversaw negotiations and it the one who was quoted for the psychologist.

The only hard thing I recall JD getting public about was Johansen.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Especially

Looking over these examples, seems like it all worked out in the end. Neither player is here and both were..... uhh... interesting individuals.

At any rate, just wanted to stop in and wish JD well. We can sit back and do what we do... complain all the time.... Or we can welcome back a part of the team that lead us to the most success in our franchises history.

I'm game, so I'll just sit back and let him do his thing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But both of those fall on Jarmo wouldn’t they?

He’s the one who oversaw negotiations and it the one who was quoted for the psychologist.

The only hard thing I recall JD getting public about was Johansen.

My memory of the psychologist comment is that it was first made in an end of season presser and it came from both JD and Jarmo.

JD was certainly very public in the Johansen spat. I don't blame him about it, because the player was genuinely problematic. But Josh Anderson was a great fit and JD was there for months of hard balling. Yes it was Jarmo, but JD had plenty of chances to say "that's enough, this player is too important for this". How we treat players is within JD's purview.

Looking over these examples, seems like it all worked out in the end. Neither player is here and both were..... uhh... interesting individuals.

There's nothing "uhh.... interesting" about Josh Anderson. If he was not alienated from the team and willing to sign a reasonable 5x5, we'd be in a better position. Great fit, popular teammate, great player.

It sure worked out in the end that Bob was so angry that he insisted on leaving, but I could have done without the yearlong temper tantrum that nearly ruined the season with the best roster we ever had.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Bob signed a 4 year deal after his bridge deal which included 3 UFA years. He's actually one of the few real star players ever to commit prime UFA years to Columbus even when he didn't have to. I think that kind of proves the relationshop wasn't too damaged.

That's a fair point but it did seem to mark the start of contentious negotiations with RFAs. I really don't recall any of those prior to JD's arrival but could be forgetting some?

IMO moving forward I think it would do both well to revisit the "hammer" RFA approach in Part Deux.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
My memory of the psychologist comment is that it was first made in an end of season presser and it came from both JD and Jarmo.

JD was certainly very public in the Johansen spat. I don't blame him about it, because the player was genuinely problematic. But Josh Anderson was a great fit and JD was there for months of hard balling. Yes it was Jarmo, but JD had plenty of chances to say "that's enough, this player is too important for this". How we treat players is within JD's purview.

There's nothing "uhh.... interesting" about Josh Anderson. If he was not alienated from the team and willing to sign a reasonable 5x5, we'd be in a better position. Great fit, popular teammate, great player.

It sure worked out in the end that Bob was so angry that he insisted on leaving, but I could have done without the yearlong temper tantrum that nearly ruined the season with the best roster we ever had.
I've heard and read conflicting reports on the Anderson situation so it could go either way. I do know that he seemed to be asking a lot for someone who has been a 30 point player in this league outside of one year and I'm glad we aren't locked into a 7 year deal for him right now. He hasn't really shown to be a different player for Montreal.

I also want to point out that his agent had the last 2 holdouts that year asking for big paydays. The other is Andreas Athanasiou. There is nobody in the league that thinks he is worth big money but they both offered similar point totals. Josh Anderson is just is big guy who we all hoped would be like a clean Tom Wilson but generally wasn't physical enough.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've heard and read conflicting reports on the Anderson situation so it could go either way. I do know that he seemed to be asking a lot for someone who has been a 30 point player in this league outside of one year and I'm glad we aren't locked into a 7 year deal for him right now. He hasn't really shown to be a different player for Montreal.

That's him returning the hammer blow. Obviously the idea is that the Jackets would have been better off if we were not trading blows with our players.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was referring to his initial holdout.

Reports at the time said he was asking for a 1 year deal closer to league minimum, or something around $2m x 2/3. I don't remember exactly, but no, he was not asking for a lot. I remember that it was noteworthy that Jarmo wouldn't let him have the 1 year deal, and that it struck me as crossing the line.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
JD seems like a decent guy. Jarmo too. Under their leadership the team has been pretty good as well.

But who is responsible for the current status/structure of this team? That would be Jarmo and JD with some of their questionable decisions over the past several years especially the Panarin/all in fiasco. My concern factor is still on high.

So much for a short leash for Jarmo.

I will wish JD the best because if he does well the team will do well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad