News Article: The Return of John Davidson (Dispatch confirms JD returning as President)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Ok, now that Davidson has been surprisingly fired in New York, one of the mildly spicy rumors on the Athletic is speculation about his return to Columbus. Anyone think this is likely? I say no. Athletic quotes Mike Priest as saying it is up to Jarmo to decide what changes could or should be made in hockey operations. And I see no way that Jarmo would decide he needs a babysitter again.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Doubtful. He’ll likely just return to broadcasting or retire. He sold his house here, and his office is now gone.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
He chose to leave.
Now I do believe we need someone there to assist Jarmo, but I would pass on JD. He helped us get to be a solid team, but I would go with some fresh faces who are hungry to win.

Now the CBJ organization loves a deal. So if the NYR have to pay him for next few seasons, I would not be shocked to see the CBJ offer him a discounted deal to assist in some way.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
All power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. That is kind of a basic understanding of human nature. And I think it applies to hockey too. And that basic concept is why we need to have another strong voice in the Hockey Operations side of the franchise. We had one autocrat, Doug Maclean and we all know how that turned out. Now apparently, according to Priest, Jarmo is now the all powerful current Maclean. And how has that worked so far? What smart move has Jarmo made to stop the talent drain that began at the time JD left? There simply needs to be a second voice to bounce ideas off of. I like Arace's idea in today's Dispatch: hire Jeff Gorton as GM and kick Jarmo upstairs to be President of Hockey Operations. Unfortunately Jarmo has far too gigantic an ego to admit he could use some help. Personally I don't care if they rehire Davidson or bring Gorton, or whomever. There just needs to be a second voice in the management room.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Ok, now that Davidson has been surprisingly fired in New York, one of the mildly spicy rumors on the Athletic is speculation about his return to Columbus. Anyone think this is likely? I say no. Athletic quotes Mike Priest as saying it is up to Jarmo to decide what changes could or should be made in hockey operations. And I see no way that Jarmo would decide he needs a babysitter again.

This is where I see an issue. Mike Priest should be deciding if Jarmo needs a "babysitter" again. I doubt Jarmo wants him back because he would see it as a demotion but I think we need somebody.

If we flash back to the Howson years, We had a slim hockey operations staff and Howson convinced the ownership to bring in Craig Patrick, which led to JD and eventually Jarmo.

We've now gone back to a slim hockey operations staff and I don't see this as a good thing.

I'd love to see JD back here and I think he would consider it if the time and situation was right but I think the only way it happens is if a new GM comes as part of the deal too.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
All power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. That is kind of a basic understanding of human nature. And I think it applies to hockey too. And that basic concept is why we need to have another strong voice in the Hockey Operations side of the franchise. We had one autocrat, Doug Maclean and we all know how that turned out. Now apparently, according to Priest, Jarmo is now the all powerful current Maclean. And how has that worked so far? What smart move has Jarmo made to stop the talent drain that began at the time JD left? There simply needs to be a second voice to bounce ideas off of. I like Arace's idea in today's Dispatch: hire Jeff Gorton as GM and kick Jarmo upstairs to be President of Hockey Operations. Unfortunately Jarmo has far too gigantic an ego to admit he could use some help. Personally I don't care if they rehire Davidson or bring Gorton, or whomever. There just needs to be a second voice in the management room.

1) Jarmo can't do his job.
2) Let's hire someone else to do it.
3) And make Jarmo that guy's boss.

How Corporate America.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As I said, Arace's suggestion is just one way to go. The important thing is that in some way a second voice, one that is not just a Jarmo lackey, has to be added to added to the hockey operations side of the franchise.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
JD fully supported the absurd hard-nosed negotiating approach of the organization with RFAs-which has probably been its most egregious shortcoming. He may have been the initiator of the absurd Johansen negotiation strategy and was here during the Anderson fiasco.

What, I wonder, would Jarmo had done differently over the past 2 years with JD over his shoulder?

JD has an immense reputation for a guy whose playoff resume is poor. Ah, the power of television and astute media relations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe Pick

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
JD fully supported the absurd hard-nosed negotiating approach of the organization with RFAs-which has probably been it's most egregious shortcoming. He may have been the initiator of the absurd Johansen negotiation strategy and was here during the Anderson fiasco.

What, I wonder, would Jarmo had done differently over the past 2 years with JD over his shoulder?

JD has an immense reputation for a guy whose playoff resume is poor. Ah, the power of television and astute media relations.
FWIW, the Blues were trainwreck when he was President there and his playoff resume consists of being President of the CBJ.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Oh wait you're the "Jarmo Maclean" guy aren't you :laugh:

Reactions: Monk and majormajor

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well I am glad you are all so happy with the results that Jarmo Maclean has produced over the past two years.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
While I think Jarmo isn't nearly the level that Doug MacLean was, we are certainly nearing the organizational structure of the MacLean era when high up management leaves and aren't replaced.

We've all seen it in the corporate world where they trim management to create "efficiencies" when what really happens is that they make 1 person do 2 people's jobs for 1 person's salary and they end up not doing either job very well because they get overworked.

Reactions: Halfboard

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
IBM, Ok, that is a valid way of looking at it. Makes sense too. If the guy is overworked he is not doing either job well. I can buy that.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not long ago most of this board was happy when Jarmo held onto Panarin and dumped a bunch of assets trying to find a way to win a cup. It was also stated that management had already made the decision to take a run at it and Jarmo just followed the plan. Now he needs someone to watch over what he has been given the direction to accomplish. Interesting.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not long ago most of this board was happy when Jarmo held onto Panarin and dumped a bunch of assets trying to find a way to win a cup. It was also stated that management had already made the decision to take a run at it and Jarmo just followed the plan. Now he needs someone to watch over what he has been given the direction to accomplish. Interesting.
I personally can handle those decisions.

It is the decisions that have occurred since that bother me. We'll probably never know why but Jarmo basically sold the defensive farm to prevent an offer sheet on PLD who then in turn screwed us for reasons unknown but I bet Jarmo knows more than we do.

He then got us a center whose heart wasn't really into playing this season and retired after about 3 weeks, talked all off season about how we were going to take advantage of teams in cap trouble and never did, and constantly overhypes young prospects that just aren't able to perform to the expectations because they aren't ready to handle the jobs given to them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While I think Jarmo isn't nearly the level that Doug MacLean was, we are certainly nearing the organizational structure of the MacLean era when high up management leaves and aren't replaced.

We've all seen it in the corporate world where they trim management to create "efficiencies" when what really happens is that they make 1 person do 2 people's jobs for 1 person's salary and they end up not doing either job very well because they get overworked.

IBM, Ok, that is a valid way of looking at it. Makes sense too. If the guy is overworked he is not doing either job well. I can buy that.

Not valid in this case.

Jarmo was asked two years ago if he could handle the extra job duties, and how he would fit them into his schedule. He said the only thing different was that he had to go to board of governors meetings twice a year now. That's it.

I'm not sure if people get how little there is for a PoHO to do if player personnel is handled by the G.M. It's basically a $2m advisor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I personally can handle those decisions.

It is the decisions that have occurred since that bother me. We'll probably never know why but Jarmo basically sold the defensive farm to prevent an offer sheet on PLD who then in turn screwed us for reasons unknown but I bet Jarmo knows more than we do.

He then got us a center whose heart wasn't really into playing this season and retired after about 3 weeks, talked all off season about how we were going to take advantage of teams in cap trouble and never did, and constantly overhypes young prospects that just aren't able to perform to the expectations because they aren't ready to handle the jobs given to them.

I'm not sure if people have done the cost benefit analysis on this one. Murray and Nuti play about as much as one player combined and they were our bottom pair, with a combined salary of $7.2m. Is that one player worth that much? Not close, no. MDZ and Kukan were not a problem for us this year anyways, this is a non-issue.

Most of the stuff you're talking about is outside of any G.M.'s control. He can't control who gets covid and feels homesick and he can't go spending freely in UFA when he is forced to make a giant trade.

I don't think Jarmo has made good decisions this past season. I'm saying your particular gripes are unreasonable.

Reactions: KCbus and LJ7201

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not valid in this case.

Jarmo was asked two years ago if he could handle the extra job duties, and how he would fit them into his schedule. He said the only thing different was that he had to go to board of governors meetings twice a year now. That's it.

I'm not sure if people get how little there is for a PoHO to do if player personnel is handled by the G.M. It's basically a $2m advisor.
Of course the guy would say he could do it. If it was presented to him to have both positions do you think he would honestly say no?

And do you honestly think that is all the job was? That JD and any other team president just sat around 360 days a year with a thumb up their rear ends waiting to go to a meeting?

Mike Priest doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground when it came to making hockey decisions, that is why JD was here to help oversee those and he is the one who hired Jarmo.

In the 2 years since JD has gone, the hockey side of things has started to go to sh*t and we've seen some questionable things happen. Is that all Jarmo's fault? Maybe. Maybe not. But there needs to be more actual hockey people involved in the higher end of hockey operations. And I mean more than Rick Nash being an on the job trainee. I mean people who already know what they are doing with success and experience in the league.

This team needs more hockey people in management, not bean counters.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Not valid in this case.

Interesting points by all. I'm not going to say that being the President & GM of an NHL franchise is the most taxing of jobs, but I will say some seem to do much better at it than others. Would I trade Jarmo for Sakic or Yzerman, well hell yes I would. For GM's of the Blue Jackets past? No not so much eh?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Of course the guy would say he could do it. If it was presented to him to have both positions do you think he would honestly say no?

And do you honestly think that is all the job was? That JD and any other team president just sat around 360 days a year with a thumb up their rear ends waiting to go to a meeting?

Mike Priest doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground when it came to making hockey decisions, that is why JD was here to help oversee those and he is the one who hired Jarmo.

In the 2 years since JD has gone, the hockey side of things has started to go to sh*t and we've seen some questionable things happen. Is that all Jarmo's fault? Maybe. Maybe not. But there needs to be more actual hockey people involved in the higher end of hockey operations. And I mean more than Rick Nash being an on the job trainee. I mean people who already know what they are doing with success and experience in the league.

This team needs more hockey people in management, not bean counters.

The main part of his job is to offer advice to Jarmo, who has full control over personnel. It's an advisory position 99% of the time.

Obviously you need good hockey people who can debate things and figure things out as a group. I don't think we on this board know enough to say if they have the right group for that. It's not like players we can watch. How much do you know about Chris Clark as a hockey mind? Probably the same amount I do.

Reactions: LJ7201

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->