News Article: The Return of John Davidson (Dispatch confirms JD returning as President)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Nobody can ever build a championship team completely from the draft but the ket points are:

Jaden Schwartz - drafted in 2010 (J.D. was there, I don't think Jarmo was there anymore)
Alex Pietrangelo - drafted in 2008 (J.D. was there, Jarmo was still there I think)
Vladimir Tarasneko - drafted in 2010

Effective use of first round draft picks, which is something we've failed at historically as a team. Partially because we've never sucked bad enough to consistently draft high and partly because the players we've chosen didn't fit the system. I feel like that is more on Jarmo being the "master scout" than ever being JD's fault.

But JD was here for all of those ‘don’t fit first-rounders’. If he didn’t keep Jarmo from screwing those up (assuming that’s what he did) why should we think this time around would be any different.

it must be nice to have the gig where what goes right is to your credit but what goes wrong is someone else’s fault.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Nobody can ever build a championship team completely from the draft but the ket points are:

Jaden Schwartz - drafted in 2010 (J.D. was there, I don't think Jarmo was there anymore)
Alex Pietrangelo - drafted in 2008 (J.D. was there, Jarmo was still there I think)

Effective use of first round draft picks, which is something we've failed at historically as a team. Partially because we've never sucked bad enough to consistently draft high and partly because the players we've chosen didn't fit the system. I feel like that is more on Jarmo being the "master scout" than ever being JD's fault.

Schwartz - 14th overall
Pietrangelo - 4th overall
Tarasneko - 16th overall

Now, to the CBJ:
2013, 14th pick: Wennberg (bought out)
2013, 14th pick: Rychel (miss...now is, uh, Scott Harrington I guess?)
2013, 27th pick: Dano
2014, 16th pick: Milano (miss)
2015, 8th pick: Werenski
2016, 3rd pick: Dubois (requested to be traded, in combination with a 3rd rounder is now Roslovic and Laine)
2018, 18th pick: Foudy (jury still out?)
2020, 21st pick: Chinakhov (jury still out, widely seen as a reach at the time)

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Twain

Jul 1, 2019

Just a small correction. Jarmo was definitely still at St. Louis when they drafted Schwartz and Tarasenko. I remember watching that draft. I think he left soon after that draft.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There's nothing "uhh.... interesting" about Josh Anderson. If he was not alienated from the team and willing to sign a reasonable 5x5, we'd be in a better position. Great fit, popular teammate, great player.

It sure worked out in the end that Bob was so angry that he insisted on leaving, but I could have done without the yearlong temper tantrum that nearly ruined the season with the best roster we ever had.

I did not find Josh all that compelling as a loyal member of the Jackets. He never struck me as someone I wanted us to build a franchise around. If you do, that's cool. So, yeah, I found him "uhh interesting".

I truth, I have finally reached the point where I find our constant criticisms tiring. It's not really a friendly debate among fans on whether we agree with something or not. Getting excited during the draft or the trade deadline. Analysis of a game.

Truly it seems like more of just, we're not happy unless we're angry about something. We've must always be critical of every decision. Finally, we think we're always right when we have very little data to back up most of what we say. In truth I've never remember evidence that "Bob was so angry he insisted on leaving". I found lot of what certain people say simply gnashing of teeth. I find a lot of what we say is we've came to a conclusion and we build the case backwards to fit our narrative. Basically "He's guilty so I'll find anything and everything to prove that. If there is something contrary, I'll ignore it". Pretty common with the spirit o the age.

I had no issue with Davidson and I have no issue with him coming back. I think the franchise is better for him coming back and Torts no longer the head coach. I'm not all that sold on JK, but he's competent and certainly must better than any other GM we've had.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
But JD was here for all of those ‘don’t fit first-rounders’. If he didn’t keep Jarmo from screwing those up (assuming that’s what he did) why should we think this time around would be any different.

it must be nice to have the gig where what goes right is to your credit but what goes wrong is someone else’s fault.
Or just placing the blame where it lies. Every decision isn't everyone's fault but you make a solid case for why Jarmo's shelf life should run short.

Jarmo was the one touted as the scouting genius. How do we know that if JD had stayed that he might not have replaced Jarmo after some of the decisions that were made in his absence or due to cumulative effects leading up to this? Things were pretty good here when he left. Now they are not. We can't speculate on things that he may or may not have done had he remained here over the last 2 years but I suspect that there would be some differences.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I did not find Josh all that compelling as a loyal member of the Jackets. He never struck me as someone I wanted us to build a franchise around. If you do, that's cool. So, yeah, I found him "uhh interesting".

I truth, I have finally reached the point where I find our constant criticisms tiring. It's not really a friendly debate among fans on whether we agree with something or not. Getting excited during the draft or the trade deadline. Analysis of a game.

Truly it seems like more of just, we're not happy unless we're angry about something. We've must always be critical of every decision. Finally, we think we're always right when we have very little data to back up most of what we say. In truth I've never remember evidence that "Bob was so angry he insisted on leaving". I found lot of what certain people say simply gnashing of teeth. I find a lot of what we say is we've came to a conclusion and we build the case backwards to fit our narrative. Basically "He's guilty so I'll find anything and everything to prove that. If there is something contrary, I'll ignore it". Pretty common with the spirit o the age.

I had no issue with Davidson and I have no issue with him coming back. I think the franchise is better for him coming back and Torts no longer the head coach. I'm not all that sold on JK, but he's competent and certainly must better than any other GM we've had.

So I guess I'm now the "anti-Jarmo/JD extremist" who makes things up to support my viewpoint. Funny how that happened.

I'm actually very much in favor of letting Jarmo and JD guide the ship over the long run. I'm actually opposed to any of this "short leash" talk.

I'm discussing very concrete highly reported events where poor decisions were made by Jarmo/JD. Being able to discuss their mistakes without vitriol isn't the angry pile-on you describe, it's arguably the more mature way of looking at things. Maybe look at CR if you want to see a one-sided view.

The reason you don't remember anything about Bob being angry and announcing he was leaving in 2018, is that you aren't following the team as closely. This isn't some hidden news that only I can read. Bob came right out and said it.

I won't speculate as to why you whiffed on Josh Anderson, but yeah you did. He's a special talent. I regret that we were in the position where we were exchanging "the hammer" with him. He'd be a huge part of this team right now if he didn't return the hammer blow to Jarmo.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Ok

lol

So the only reason Jarmo is still here now is because JD wasn’t here to fire him? That’s pretty rich.

I didn't say that.

However, it isn't out of the question that decisions would have been handled differently if there was another decision maker involved. Maybe he would have made the change. Maybe he wouldn't. we'll never know because he wasn't here but it isn't out of the question to say management decisions would have been handled differently over the last 2 years.

Would JD have a different take on Torts wanting to quit? Possibly.

Could JD have had an impact on firing Torts early before the season went off the rails? Possibly.

I won't even begin to speculate on PLD.

The only think we can't debate is that this team went from sweeping the Lightning to the 4th worst record in the league and it ain't just because Panarin left. There were decisions made during that time that JD (or any POHOP for that matter) weren't involved in that could have had an impact on where we stand today.

Mike Priest 100% trusted Jarmo that we didn't need to replace JD when he left. He trusted that we didn't need to replace Bill Zito when he left. We've lived for 2 years in Jarmo's autonomous reign over hockey operations and we see where it has gotten us.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I didn't say that.

However, it isn't out of the question that decisions would have been handled differently if there was another decision maker involved. Maybe he would have made the change. Maybe he wouldn't. we'll never know because he wasn't here but it isn't out of the question to say management decisions would have been handled differently over the last 2 years.

Would JD have a different take on Torts wanting to quit? Possibly.

Could JD have had an impact on firing Torts early before the season went off the rails? Possibly.

I won't even begin to speculate on PLD.

The only think we can't debate is that this team went from sweeping the Lightning to the 4th worst record in the league and it ain't just because Panarin left. There were decisions made during that time that JD (or any POHOP for that matter) weren't involved in that could have had an impact on where we stand today.

Mike Priest 100% trusted Jarmo that we didn't need to replace JD when he left. He trusted that we didn't need to replace Bill Zito when he left. We've lived for 2 years in Jarmo's autonomous reign over hockey operations and we see where it has gotten us.

And we’re back to my original point which was most of the stuff we’re talking about happened while JD was here with Jarmo before and it happened. Why does JD get absolved of any of that and why should we think it would be any different this time around?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I find a lot of what we say is we've came to a conclusion and we build the case backwards to fit our narrative. Basically "He's guilty so I'll find anything and everything to prove that. If there is something contrary, I'll ignore it". Pretty common with the spirit o the age.

Not posting as much as you used but you just still be reading. This is spot on.

Reactions: Viqsi and cslebn

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Were some folks expecting a short leash? It seemed to me through all the ups and downs that Jarmo was still widely viewed as the best person for the job.

No not that at all. Those were my words as I was more thinking out loud while I was typing. Mostly a play on that phrase "short leash" in that Jarmo only had a couple years left on his contract, has some incredibly important decisions to make and needed to right the ship after this forgetable year. Those pressures are now off with his extension. I still have faith in Jarmo. Just because I disagree with some his moves doesn't mean I think he's incompetent or that I want him gone. I had many more issues with Torts but that ship has sailed.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And we’re back to my original point which was most of the stuff we’re talking about happened while JD was here with Jarmo before and it happened. Why does JD get absolved of any of that and why should we think it would be any different this time around?
Except poor decisions that happened after he left.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The way I look at it JD wanted to come back
He could have told Mike Priest no

It's like people don't believe he actually enjoyed his time in the city/organization. Despite his words the entire time and now his actions. (I think perhaps people are a bit too jaded from all the players who have left.)

If anyone believe JD's words upon leaving were lipservice, that's been proven wrong. I saw a lot of analogies on the mains of it going back to an ex-girlfriend. I don't think that's right. I tried to come up with a better (though still imperfect analogy). JD left his hometown that he was born and raised in (NYR) to go off to college (StL) and then ended up in a city post-college (CBJ) for a decade that he grew to love. But a career opportunity arose in his hometown and he wanted to move back. It ended up not working out, so he went back to the post-college town that he also loved (when he instead could have gone to any other number of cities).

This isn't a case of him "settling" for the CBJ. I'm sure he's bummed about the NYR. But I guarantee he's also really excited to be back in Columbus.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
:laugh::laugh: I’m not the former coach but use his name to honor my first hockey home team (Checkers) and love for the sport.....but small details notwithstanding, I am available. :nod:
You're not as tough as the real Moe either:)

As a childhood Checkers fan, you bring back some memories ...Al White, Serge Boudreault, Gordon Dibley, Bert Fizell, Nelson Leclair. I don't know how many times I saw Moe come off the bench, drop some guy on his ass and skate off the ice. The only coach/enforcer I've ever seen.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
You're not as tough as the real Moe either:)

As a childhood Checkers fan, you bring back some memories ...Al White, Serge Boudreault, Gordon Dibley, Bert Fizell, Nelson Leclair. I don't know how many times I saw Moe come off the bench, drop some guy on his ass and skate off the ice. The only coach/enforcer I've ever seen.
It’s you now bringing back some memories of many favorites here. Dibs gave me a goalie stick that I wish I still had (lost in a move). Same for a stick from Real Paquette, my favorite Checker. And Bert - my “Godmother” used him in several TV commercials, having to give him a pre-shoot shot in order to loosen him up for the camera. :laugh: :laugh: Those were fun days as a kid.

And you’re right - Moe was a tough guy who didn’t back down. What a colorful player/coach.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Over the past few days I have been thinking and reading a bunch of the posts in here condemning this hire and wanting to fire Jarmo. I've tried to write this post a few times but I've struggled to find the right words. But I'll give it a try.

I have long been critical of Jarmo. From calling out his roster decision making, to bashing him on his hard line negotiation tactics, and his "smartest guy in the room" syndrome he seems to take pleasure in with regards to draft picks and his overall draft pedigree being overrated. However even with all of these criticisms I don't think he's a bad GM. I think some people here have gotten spoiled a bit with our regular season success, and the thing is thats not even a bad thing. That just speaks to the job that Jarmo has done here in his stint as GM. He has shortcomings as does all GMs, but by and large I think he's been a success. People see that we've made the playoffs 4 years in a row (before this year) and are quick to turn around and say "Well they only won one round." While accurate, its also not fair to him. The team has taken massive amounts of losses in his tenure, from players leaving to injuries. The fact we stayed afloat and made the playoffs after having three of our top players leave us from the sweep year is a testament to the coaching and pickups made by Jarmo. Conveniently people leave out that our losses in the playoffs in Jarmo's tenure have been 3 Cup champions (Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa) and a Cup runner up (Boston). We're not getting upset by lower tier playoff teams, we're literally losing to the best team(s) in the league.

Yeah, nobody remembers 2nd place or whatever place we're in. But we've had our hat in the ring in Jarmo's tenure. I'll take that over the Howson years and especially the MacLean years. Jarmo and co. f***ed up in the last few seasons with hard line negotiations and driving away some talent, but I think its only fair to let him try to fix this mess. Because he has shown in his history here that he is capable of turning things around, albeit slowly. He annoys the hell out of me with some things but I don't think firing Jarmo is the right call either.

As for JD returning I don't really get why people are bent out of shape about him coming back. People wanted Jarmo to have a watchdog or help in the decision making, and JD was around for our greatest successes as a franchise. I don't see any downside to his return. And yeah, are we his second choice? Yes. Are we anybodies first choice though? Sometimes you have to play the cards you're dealt with. JD helped right the ship in 2013 when he got here and we got some fun memories and good times out of it. I saw people talking about his "failures" in St. Louis because they never won many playoff rounds/titles when he was there, but conveniently forget that the Blues had to go through the prime Toews/Kane Hawks teams and the LA Kings juggernauts of seasons past. When they finally broke through and won, they still had plenty of players from his and Jarmo's tenure there, and in very important roles too.

I think these two are good together. I think its far better than Jarmo working alone, and I think they're worthy of staying in their posts to try to right the ship. I hope they learned a bit from the Anderson/PLD/Johansen dramas of the past are able to change course a little bit to make he team more player friendly and be a place players want to play at. Maybe going to NY and getting fired will humble JD. Maybe getting publicly demoted will humble Jarmo. I think they're a good team and I think they'll help make us a good team again.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could care less if we are somebody's first or second choice. We've got bigger things to worry about than that.

The first team I really loved and followed for years were the late 90's Oilers. The Canadian Dollar had plummeted and all the stars were long gone, they had trouble affording a team. But Glen Sather just made a lot of good moves to take advantage of other club's mistakes, and the Oilers had a couple huge playoff series wins to take out contenders in the Avs and Stars. That was more thrilling than anything to me. I never gave a crap about who had the Oilers as their first choice. I just assumed nobody did and I was okay with that. That was our struggle.

In our situation I'm wondering why anyone still agonizes over it. We're not a destination. We fight and claw. That is our struggle. If Dolan is going to step in and fire JD for not rushing to fire Gorton, well that speaks well for JD's character. Let us take advantage of his mistake, and the fact that he's paying JD $5m per so we don't have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad