The Prospects Thread XXIII - Stats, Lists in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Going to the Hitmen game today. Anything in particular to pay attention to for Virtanen?

same thing I look out for.. can he slow the game down for himself?

Yet to see that at an NHL level.

The speed, the size, the wrist shot we know is there... so I'd watch his poise.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Going to the Hitmen game today. Anything in particular to pay attention to for Virtanen?

I'd say his speed, his shot, and his physical play, but you're going to notice those whether you're watching for them or not.

The top 3 things I'd watch for in Virtanen's game that go under the radar:

1) His shift lengths and line changes - he is a very conservative player when it comes to changing on the fly and will usually be the first guy to the bench on his line. He conserves his energy for when he can use it effectively.

2) Whether or not he's leaving the zone early. When he's on his game, his timing leaving his own zone is spot on and he generates offense out of the neutral zone. When he's frustrated, he'll be early and then has to turn back, or will try to steamroll a defender. When he's bored, he's late leaving.

3) His shot selection. He's going to have an opportunity to take a shot at least 10 times tonight. Depending on where your seats are you'll be able to see whether he's making a good decision on shot/pass/dump/etc and whether or not he's aware of the other options (sometimes he's a head down take the shot guy).

I fully expect him to take a penalty in the first 10 minutes tonight. He's going to come out amped up and will be looking to run someone over (in his crosshairs: Valiev, Reinhart, Vetterl, Philp, Descheaneau). 50/50 chance on whether it's a deserved penalty or just a huge, clean hit.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
interesting watching Oshawa play. They are like the LA Kings of the OHL. There is a large difference between them and a team like SSM or Erie for instance so i'll be curious which style makes it to the mem cup.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Anyone have a free stream for any playoff game going on that involves our prospects? Either Oshawa or Calgary would be really be appreciated.

embee

Apr 29, 2011
I haven't paid much attention to Cassels, aside from the prospects camps and stuff... impressive first period. Is he expected to be an NHL regular?

To me it seems he is on his way.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I haven't paid much attention to Cassels, aside from the prospects camps and stuff... impressive first period. Is he expected to be an NHL regular?

To me it seems he is on his way.

He's a finalist for the best player in his junior league. I think he's going to be a solid two way play making center in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad