Subban

WHL Playoffs

Edmonton at Brandon 5pm
Sautner

S_C

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Man...looking back at last year's draft, I would have drafted a completely different group of guys at the time (and I think I still prefer this over the group we took).

1st (6th): William Nylander (I still prefer the guy. He's doing well in the AHL so far as an 18 year old, and he's that potential top 6 offensive center we needed/need.)
1st (24th): Ivan Barbashev (He was at the top of my list of available guys at that point. If he had been taken I would have taken Pastrnak or Scherbak.)
2nd: Either Vladislav Kamenev or Roland McKeown (I was somewhat high on both guys, though I would have also been tempted to nab the top rated goalie...though unlikely considering we had Lack, Markstrom, and Eriksson.)
3rd: Either Jack Glover (if taken Kamenev) or Brayden Point (if taken McKeown)
5th: Oskar Lindblom (I had this guy pegged as a late 3rd/early 4th round pick.)
6th: Ondrej Kase
7th: Lukas Sutter

- I also would have made sure we got the 10th overall pick+ for Kesler. :rant: In that case I'd take Virtanen/Ritchie/Ehlers (in that order) and would probably also try to trade up from 36th to 30 or 32 to nab Barbashev (I was really high on him, shocked he fell that far, would have probably given up what most people would consider an overpayment to move up 4-6 spots).
- McKeown would be a bad pick, Kamenev pretty solid (in my opinion). I think I would still prefer Kamenev over Demko by a small margin, though I probably would taken McKeown at the time because I drafted two forwards in the 1st.
- Glover would be meh, Point would have been good, I still think both would be better options than Tryamkin (especially Point).
- Forsling turned out to be a steal (so far), but Lindblom has been impressive as well. Tough one for me, would probably prefer Forsling.
- Not even going to talk about the last two picks, I'm not really someone who looks at guys who might be projected to go in that range. I kind of knew a bit about those two guys but it was basically a complete shot in the dark. They will probably be nothing, just like the guys we took in those spots.

(mods: sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Please move to appropriate thread if considered off-topic)

lol, yeah I'm gonna save this.

Virtanen, McCann and Tryamkin were all really great picks. We're lucky to have them.

Shink

Sep 25, 2014
Quality post. Who needs Tiranis or Feebster when we have Shink

Apologies for the snarky reply. :naughty:

To be honest, your post just grated me. As Szechwan put pretty well I didn't think it added anything other than, I would have done this and I would have done that, and this could have been better, etc etc. Do you have any proof of your opinions pre-draft of all the people you'd take? If so, it'd make that post a ton more credible than what is essentially Captain Hindsight.

The Kesler trade bit kinda topped it off for me. Honestly, you can't really say you would have held out for so and so because you have no idea what was happening or being talked about, or what position Bob Murray was taking in negotiations, considering what little leverage we had on that trade.

As I said though, I'm sorry for the snark, I'll try to lend some more opinion behind my sarcastic pictures in the future.

Edit: For example, you say you would take Pasternak or Scherbak if Barbashev wasn't in the board, instead of McCann. I'd love to hear what you justify that assessment with.

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

To be honest, your post just grated me. As Szechwan put pretty well I didn't think it added anything other than, I would have done this and I would have done that, and this could have been better, etc etc. Do you have any proof of your opinions pre-draft of all the people you'd take? If so, it'd make that post a ton more credible than what is essentially Captain Hindsight.

The Kesler trade bit kinda topped it off for me. Honestly, you can't really say you would have held out for so and so because you have no idea what was happening or being talked about, or what position Bob Murray was taking in negotiations, considering what little leverage we had on that trade.

As I said though, I'm sorry for the snark, I'll try to lend some more opinion behind my sarcastic pictures in the future.

Edit: For example, you say you would take Pasternak or Scherbak if Barbashev wasn't in the board, instead of McCann. I'd love to hear what you justify that assessment with.

I'm not the type of guy to purposely make stuff up about my opinions in the past. I've admitted when I've been dead wrong about moves (IE Santorelli signing, and even more recently the Pedan trade), and you can feel free to look back at my previous posts to see my thoughts on guys prior to and during the draft.

I'm shocked at how many people were content with the return we got for Kesler, even with his short trade list. If it had been Gillis I'm sure there would have been many more upset posters. Yeah, you're right, none of us know how the negotiations went, but I sure as hell wouldn't have dumped Kesler right away, there's an entire off-season to move him and wait for better offers. Benning showed multiple times that off-season that he was flat out not good at trades. The Kesler trade, the Garrison trade, the Vey trade, even the Dorsett trade (I would never move a 3rd for an upcoming UFA 4th liner). He wasn't in a bind and forced to make all those trades as well, so why were they so bad?

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver

Doesn't sound like hindsight to me at all, especially when you consider the poster. He said he would have drafted McKeown, look where he's ended up.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Doesn't sound like hindsight to me at all, especially when you consider the poster. He said he would have drafted McKeown, look where he's ended up.

Yeah...boy was I wrong about that. I even made a bunch of posts complaining that we traded the Garrison pick for Vey when we could have drafted McKeown. :laugh: I also pointed out that my 6th and 7th round picks were made from lack of knowledge of remaining players available to draft. :laugh:

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah...boy was I wrong about that. I even made a bunch of posts complaining that we traded the Garrison pick for Vey when we could have drafted McKeown. :laugh: I also pointed out that my 6th and 7th round picks were made from lack of knowledge of remaining players available to draft. :laugh:

Yea and as far as Kase goes, I know Feebster and I believe Tiranis wanted him so I could see why you would choose him, it seemed like a popular opinion.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Holy crap you guys, Nuckles was just posting some thoughts. It's not like he was mindlessly griping about the draft we had and adding absolutely nothing.

I got no problems with your post, Nuckles. Some people just want to gripe about anything. It's alright to disagree with your team's direction, especially since you weren't going out of your way to crap on the players the Canucks did pick.

Personally, I was totally on the fence with all 3 of Virtanen, Nylander and Ehlers this time last year. I couldn't for the life of me decide who I wanted. I was honestly fine with any of them because each of them brought a unique elite skillset to the table. I will say that I was against Virtanen earlier in the year because I thought he was a total wild card, but I warmed up to him as the draft neared and it became clear that the team needs players like him.

I also had pegged Barbashev as the pick I wanted when we acquired the 24th overall and was disappointed when we took what I thought was another bland 2 way player. Getting proven wrong on that front, as it seems his natural skill and offensive potential is bearing itself out in his draft year +1.

Can't comment on the rest of our picks as I've never been knowledgeable enough about draft eligible prospects slated to go after the past couple rounds. I do know that I was thrilled with the Demko pick and still am. I'm a proponent of drafting a goalie every year so to get perhaps the best goalie prospect available was great.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Holy crap you guys, Nuckles was just posting some thoughts. It's not like he was mindlessly griping about the draft we had and adding absolutely nothing.

I got no problems with your post, Nuckles. Some people just want to gripe about anything. It's alright to disagree with your team's direction, especially since you weren't going out of your way to crap on the players the Canucks did pick.

Personally, I was totally on the fence with all 3 of Virtanen, Nylander and Ehlers this time last year. I couldn't for the life of me decide who I wanted. I was honestly fine with any of them because each of them brought a unique elite skillset to the table. I will say that I was against Virtanen earlier in the year because I thought he was a total wild card, but I warmed up to him as the draft neared and it became clear that the team needs players like him.

I also had pegged Barbashev as the pick I wanted when we acquired the 24th overall and was disappointed when we took what I thought was another bland 2 way player. Getting proven wrong on that front, as it seems his natural skill and offensive potential is bearing itself out in his draft year +1.

Can't comment on the rest of our picks as I've never been knowledgeable enough about draft eligible prospects slated to go after the past couple rounds. I do know that I was thrilled with the Demko pick and still am. I'm a proponent of drafting a goalie every year so to get perhaps the best goalie prospect available was great.

Interesting thing to me is that while both Virtanen and McCann may not have the same skill-set as some of the players drafted around them or immediately after them, what they do possess is a lethal shot....in fact in the draft-day discussions around the 'Nucks table carried on Canucks.com, it appears JB overruled a few of his scouts to take McCann.....so many goals in today's NHL are generated off shots and rebounds....skill players get stuck in a phone-booth.....I'm guessing that the elite-level shooting abilities of Virtanen/MCann might be far more useful to VanCity down the road than the cute dangles of guys like Scherbak, Ehlers, Nylander or Barbeshev:nod:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Gee sure would be nice to come into this thread and see some posts about our current prospects

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Voted 3rd best defensive dman in his conference in the OHL while putting up less points likely a result of a less dominant team that missed Bennett all year. I don't understand how McKeown was such an awful pick. We would have a barrel of excuses for him if he was our prospect.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Gee sure would be nice to come into this thread and see some posts about our current prospects

Well go do some research and dig something up for us. It's been a 3+ day break between the regular season and the playoffs for most of our prospects, what do you expect?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Well go do some research and dig something up for us. It's been a 3+ day break between the regular season and the playoffs for most of our prospects, what do you expect?

I expect this to be about Canucks prospects, not somewhere I have to filter through nonsense in order to get the info I'm interested in.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Why don't you take the time to do a read-through of this thread. There is lots here.

If you're talking about up to the date info, then if you were as informed as a lot of people here you'd know that our prospects have not been in action for days now.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Adam Polasek was the top scoring defenseman in the Czech league this season.

I never understood why he was consistently shafted in favour of Sauve.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Why don't you take the time to do a read-through of this thread. There is lots here.

If you're talking about up to the date info, then if you were as informed as a lot of people here you'd know that our prospects have not been in action for days now.

And yet there are posts in the prospect thread. When I see new posts, I think that there might be new information so I read them. When I find that they aren't about new prospects, I wonder if that's how it's going to be now and if I should avoid this thread like I avoid the Armchair GM thread, etc. I'm sure there's some good info in there too but the signal to noise ratio is way too low.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, it was bizarre. He looked good both to the eye test and on paper (+16 in 70 games) with Chicago/Utica but was never really given a chance, while inferior players were given much greater opportunities.

Unless it was a personality/attitude thing, it was a pretty badly mishandled asset.

Will pretty obviously be getting another chance in North America if he wants it next season.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
And yet there are posts in the prospect thread. When I see new posts, I think that there might be new information so I read them. When I find that they aren't about new prospects, I wonder if that's how it's going to be now and if I should avoid this thread like I avoid the Armchair GM thread, etc. I'm sure there's some good info in there too but the signal to noise ratio is way too low.

ah shucks man, im really sorry that a few seconds of your day were wasted and then you spent another few minutes wasting more of it complaining about something nobody really cares about :(

Yeah, it was bizarre. He looked good both to the eye test and on paper (+16 in 70 games) with Chicago/Utica but was never really given a chance, while inferior players were given much greater opportunities.

Unless it was a personality/attitude thing, it was a pretty badly mishandled asset.

Will pretty obviously be getting another chance in North America if he wants it next season.

i didn't watch then but i thought i remember hearing that he was somewhat mediocre in the AHL. maybe his poor numbers in the ECHL were part of it. we lost him because we didn't qualify him, right?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

The Chicago experiment was obviously a buzz kill to some of our prospects. A few of which are now doing great in other leagues.

I always thought that if Polasek could improve his mobility he could be a decent NHLer. Pretty crazy to think he's only 23. Feels like he was drafted forever ago.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Keys to the game for Barrie

sfZe9UG.png

lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Chicago experiment was obviously a buzz kill to some of our prospects. A few of which are now doing great in other leagues.

I always thought that if Polasek could improve his mobility he could be a decent NHLer. Pretty crazy to think he's only 23. Feels like he was drafted forever ago.

Lots of examples of d-men who finally started to realize their potential by mid-20's.....Polasek was a sturdy d-man with point-producing potential who never really got a sniff in the 'Nucks organization. while second-rounders like Ellington and Sauve were given every opportunity to fail, and finally did....hoping he returns to NA someday, although it will likely be with another team as I understand he was bought out and became a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad