The Prospects Thread XXIII - Stats, Lists in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Calgary loses 4-3 to Kootenay. Came kinda close at the end and Calgary was pressuring, but couldn't tie it up.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

Jared McCann had his typical really good game today
He skated really well. is most of the time all over the ice
hsi FO was outstanding especially during 5 on 3
has a bomb on the slot
couldnt get his shorthanded goal...my feet was cut off

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Jake Virtanen -3 no points.
Sam Reinhart -2 no points.

Sometimes good players have bad games.

Both were awful.

I don't care about Reinhart though, he went 2nd overall and deservedly so.

Virtanen was putrid

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Both were awful.

I don't care about Reinhart though, he went 2nd overall and deservedly so.

Virtanen was putrid

Virtanen was decaying or rotting and emitting a fetid smell?

I thought he had a bad game. Not a putrid one.

dav1nc1

Feb 15, 2014
Our prospects doing well in the playoffs except virtanen. Shocker.... But his line mates and ice time blah blah blah

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013

Jared McCann had his typical really good game today
He skated really well. is most of the time all over the ice
hsi FO was outstanding especially during 5 on 3
has a bomb on the slot
couldnt get his shorthanded goal...my feet was cut off

I'm sorry for your loss

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Our prospects doing well in the playoffs except virtanen. Shocker.... But his line mates and ice time blah blah blah

I don't get this? It is shocking. Our highest draft pick since the Sedins and he's being out performed by our other picks. It is actually quite shocking. At least to me.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri March 27

AHL

Oklahoma City 2 Utica 4
Eriksson 22 saves on 24 shots

O'Reilly, (8) (Shinkaruk, Grenier)
Conacher, (7) (Sanguinetti, Andersson)
Shinkaruk, (11) (Biega, Friesen)
Hamilton, (5)

Shinkaruk selected 1st star.

ECHL

Kalamazoo 2 Colorado 1 (OT)
Blomstrand 0 points, even
Fox 0 points, even

NCAA Tournament

(17) Yale 2 (2) Boston University 3 (OT)
Beattie did not play

OHL Playoffs

Sarnia 1 Erie 3
Pettit did not play

Series tied 1-1

Kingston 0 North Bay 8
McEneny 0 points, -2
Liberati 2 assists, +3

North Bay leads series 1-0

Saginaw 1 Sault Ste. Marie 5
McCann 1 goal (1st), 1 assist, +1

Sault Ste. Marie leads series 1-0

Peterborough 2 Oshawa 7
Cassels 3 assists, +1 (selected 2nd star)

Oshawa leads series 1-0

WHL Playoffs

Edmonton 1 Brandon 8
Sautner 0 points, -2

Series tied 1-1

Kootenay 4 Calgary 3
Virtanen 0 points, -3

Calgary trails series 0-1

S_C

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Just a few notes,

Oshawa looks stacked and I watched a bit of that game on TV. Cassels looks like a keeper. Very cerebral player, smart and considerate in every move. Really see him as a great 3rd liner in a few years. Shutdown guy that can score.

SSM, McCann playing great. Has he been stronger this year than Virtanen??

The big one here, is it just me or has Shinkaruk finally turned it around? He has been getting better reviews and seems to be scoring.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Seen Virtanen a lot. He's very young and very raw. Explosive physical ability, but as a hockey player he's got a ways to go. He understands the sport, he just doesn't alway make the smart plays. Pretty sure that's what keeps him in a secondary role in Calgary, coaches would rather a guy like Tambellini out there that makes the smart plays most of the time. It will be up to the Canucks organization to develop him into an effective player. A bit of risk creeping into this pick with the lack of point production from Virtanen, though he deserves more, he creates chances, but we're a long way from knowing what we have in Virtanen. His tools are NHL quality now, his choices and consistancy level are junior hockey level. He's hell on skates for the other team at times and then he plays like Niklas Jensen, and kills anything he touched and forgets he has teammates. I've seen him a lot, and I've seen many different levels of play from him at this point. Hoping he plays hard through the playoffs, wouldn't mind seeing him out of Calgary one way or the other next year.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Seen Virtanen a lot. He's very young and very raw. Explosive physical ability, but as a hockey player he's got a ways to go. He understands the sport, he just doesn't alway make the smart plays. Pretty sure that's what keeps him in a secondary role in Calgary, coaches would rather a guy like Tambellini out there that makes the smart plays most of the time. It will be up to the Canucks organization to develop him into an effective player. A bit of risk creeping into this pick with the lack of point production from Virtanen, though he deserves more, he creates chances, but we're a long way from knowing what we have in Virtanen. His tools are NHL quality now, his choices and consistancy level are junior hockey level. He's hell on skates for the other team at times and then he plays like Niklas Jensen, and kills anything he touched and forgets he has teammates. I've seen him a lot, and I've seen many different levels of play from him at this point. Hoping he plays hard through the playoffs, wouldn't mind seeing him out of Calgary one way or the other next year.

Thanks for the assessment. It's good to hear from someone who has seen him first hand multiple times. It's unfortunate he only has the NHL or Junior options next year. Sounds like he needs at least another year incubating before he's NHL ready. It would be nice if he could play in Utica next year under Greene but that's not an option.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006

That's the scary thing about this pick and it was definitely part of the scouting report during the draft. You spend the 6th overall pick on a player with all tools but has not demonstrated the ability to put it together and think at a high level, that's got to be as high a risk as you take there.

At that draft position, I would much rather pick a player perhaps with slightly lesser tools but the tool box to put it all together. That player may not have the ceiling that Virtanen has but their likelihood of becoming a top 6 player in the NHL would be much greater in my opinion.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That's the scary thing about this pick and it was definitely part of the scouting report during the draft. You spend the 6th overall pick on a player with all tools but has not demonstrated the ability to put it together and think at a high level, that's got to be as high a risk as you take there.

At that draft position, I would much rather pick a player perhaps with slightly lesser tools but the tool box to put it all together. That player may not have the ceiling that Virtanen has but their likelihood of becoming a top 6 player in the NHL would be much greater in my opinion.

All picks are gambles, I don't know if there is any validity in going for one type or the other. Sure you'd ideally select a player with everything but I'm not sure that was available at 6.

Jake had a tough game, it happens. From the parts I caught (which was sporadic) the entire Hitmen team was so-so. Let's see if he can rebound on Sunday.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
McCann plays for one of the most offensively dynamic teams in the entire CHL, probably in the world. I really think McCann is a great prospect and all but his production is partly a product of the offensive powerhouse he's on and a part of. the Soo scored 53 more goals in 4 less games than Calgary...

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Jake is being hindered by his positioning, particularly in the offensive zone, and needs better coaching...but the other thing is he just doesn't seem to be playing very hard. It could be that guys like him and Reinhart (and Horvat last year) who are destined for the NHL regardless are kind of checked out from junior hockey, particularly if they feel like they're not going to win a championship anyway. Watching him earlier in the year and at the world juniors, his play recently doesn't look like it's coming from the same player.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Utica Comets signed (F) Joseph LaBate to a PTO #AHL

intrigued by this. Anyone know how he has been playing?

Still really waiting for the Canucks to sign Mcnalley and Subban.

Isn't McNally done now and eligible to be signed?

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
intrigued by this. Anyone know how he has been playing?

Still really waiting for the Canucks to sign Mcnalley and Subban.

Isn't McNally done now and eligible to be signed?

No, Harvard still has tournament games to play. Next game against Nebraska-Omaha. He has indicated he will talk to his agent about the Canucks when he finishes the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad