Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought Gaunce played great last year in Vancouver despite not getting any points.

He's the type of player that will eventually put up points in the NHL just give him time. He can develop into a 15-15 type of 3rd liner. A real rock in the defensive zone. A key player to have.

Yeah, Gaunce's stat line last year is very misleading. He was excellent in his games down the stretch and just very unlucky offensively.

He had 28 SOG in his last 13 games which is absurdly good for a guy getting 3rd/4th line minutes, and if he can do anything remotely close to that it will translate to excellent production in a larger sample size.

His possession numbers were terrific for a rookie getting tough defensive minutes (60% d-zone starts) and he looked good by the eye test as well and was one of our better forwards almost every night over the last month of the season.

If he isn't on our opening-day roster I'll be very disappointed.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Personally I think Granlund need to be absolutely terribad to be waived. Etem and Dorsett I bet have their spots fairly locked up, at least to start the season. Realistically I think Gauce's chance to make the team will come midsession when we hit injuries or if one of those players is waived.

Gaunce shows good progression, doubled his production from his rookie year. If he keeps up a .8ppg+ next season he should be a good first callup.

Agree with this. No matter how good Gaunce plays in camp/pre-season, or how bad one of our established bottom-sixers plays, I don't think he'll get a shot until injuries hit. He could displace Etem or Granlund, but they will probably get the benefit of the doubt for the first couple of weeks/months into the season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Personally I think Granlund need to be absolutely terribad to be waived. Etem and Dorsett I bet have their spots fairly locked up, at least to start the season. Realistically I think Gauce's chance to make the team will come midsession when we hit injuries or if one of those players is waived.

Gaunce shows good progression, doubled his production from his rookie year. If he keeps up a .8ppg+ next season he should be a good first callup.

No doubt about it......no matter how terrible Granlund is, he's on the team. Can you imagine what would happen if they waived him and then Shinkaruk ends up lighting it up in Calgary?....that might happen anyway, but they'll try to avoid that odious comparison as long as they can....of course that's reason why the trade was such a head-scratcher from the beginning....traded their top prospect winger for a depth centre, when they already had Gaunce and Zalewski to fill that role.:huh:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
No doubt about it......no matter how terrible Granlund is, he's on the team. Can you imagine what would happen if they waived him and then Shinkaruk ends up lighting it up in Calgary?....that might happen anyway, but they'll try to avoid that odious comparison as long as they can....of course that's reason why the trade was such a head-scratcher from the beginning....traded their top prospect winger for a depth centre, when they already had Gaunce and Zalewski to fill that role.:huh:

Maybe... But, if Gaunce is to play LW, which is what they're grooming him for, it would have been hard to make room for both him and Shink

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Maybe... But, if Gaunce is to play LW, which is what they're grooming him for, it would have been hard to make room for both him and Shink

I dunno - it's not as though our organizational forward depth is so good that we can afford to pass up on a pair of young wingers in their early 20s who're showing well (assuming Shink shows well).

If nothing else, they'd at least serve as quality trade bait - or should, in the hands of a better GM.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Yeah, Gaunce's stat line last year is very misleading. He was excellent in his games down the stretch and just very unlucky offensively.

He had 28 SOG in his last 13 games which is absurdly good for a guy getting 3rd/4th line minutes, and if he can do anything remotely close to that it will translate to excellent production in a larger sample size.

His possession numbers were terrific for a rookie getting tough defensive minutes (60% d-zone starts) and he looked good by the eye test as well and was one of our better forwards almost every night over the last month of the season.

If he isn't on our opening-day roster I'll be very disappointed.

Granlund is better than Gaunce at everything except being big.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Granlund is better than Gaunce at everything except being big.

No Granlund is a joke he cant play hockey and he is the WRONG Granlund. Still have no idea what Benning was thinking :shakehead

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
No Granlund is a joke he cant play hockey and he is the WRONG Granlund. Still have no idea what Benning was thinking :shakehead

Granlund was roughly 4 times more productive than Gaunce last season.

Markus Granlund
16GP 2G 1A ~ 0.2 Pts/GP

Brendan Gaunce
20GP 1G 0A ~ 0.05 Pts/GP

Granlund also much more productive than Gaunce in the AHL. The only thing Gaunce would have over for him is size but Gaunce plays like he's 5 inches shorter than he really is so that barely matters. Gaunce will get sent down and probably traded away now that we have a similar but better player in Granlund.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I really like Gaunce as well.

Not only do I think he can be a good bottom 6 forward, I think he can be a complimentary forward that can play up and down the lineup.

The key for him was to improve his skating. And once that happened - by end of last year - he was doing a lot of good things.

I also think moving him to the wing, helped him. It forced him to move his feet more and play a more aggressive game.

Large frame, smart, with strong work ethic.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
I dont understand the continued use of Gaunce as a winger. Might have made sense when you had McCann along with Horvat in the system but right now Gaunce looks like the perfect fit to develop as a bottom-6 center. His developmenr should have him in a 4th line role now and eventually move up to a 3rd line role.

Seems like a perfect fit as a longterm 3rd line center for this team... he's progressed well in the A and looks ready fir a 4th line role now. Wish they would have kept him at center though.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Markus Granlund
16GP 2G 1A ~ 0.2 Pts/GP

Brendan Gaunce
20GP 1G 0A ~ 0.05 Pts/GP

Granlund also much more productive than Gaunce in the AHL. The only thing Gaunce would have over for him is size but Gaunce plays like he's 5 inches shorter than he really is so that barely matters. Gaunce will get sent down and probably traded away now that we have a similar but better player in Granlund.

Neither stat line is good at all. Gaunce still showed better than Granlund while being a year younger.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Markus Granlund
16GP 2G 1A ~ 0.2 Pts/GP

Brendan Gaunce
20GP 1G 0A ~ 0.05 Pts/GP

Well thats cause Willie D had to give him every chance in the world cause idiot Benning just traded are Shincky for the Wrong Granlund so makes sense he might get a couple points but the fact he only got 3 is pretty pathetic. Hes not a NHL player and Gaunce is young and growing and works so hard he will be the 4C this year and maybe by next year 3C pushing Sutter to the 4th line

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Our forward prospects aside from Boeser... Help. JB attempted to bridge an age group gap and ended up creating a new one. We effectively have 2 forward prospects with any decent chance of being a good player in the NHL.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Our forward prospects aside from Boeser... Help. JB attempted to bridge an age group gap and ended up creating a new one. We effectively have 2 forward prospects with any decent chance of being a good player in the NHL.

Yeah we have a severe lack of scoring forward prospects in our system. It's basically Boeser and... Subban if we convert him to a forward? And yes this is exactly why you have never heard of this age gap garbage before these guys took over.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah we have a severe lack of scoring forward prospects in our system. It's basically Boeser and... Subban if we convert him to a forward? And yes this is exactly why you have never heard of this age gap garbage before these guys took over.

Also Gaudette but apparently cause hes American he cant play in this tourny or pre season games for us if he doesnt have a contract. But cant forget about him hes a hidden gem

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Also Gaudette but apparently cause hes American he cant play in this tourny or pre season games for us if he doesnt have a contract. But cant forget about him hes a hidden gem

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's an American. He could be a canadian, Russian, Swede, or Martian. He is a colege player for Northeastern University. The NCAA forbids its players from participating. It's the same reason Boeser can't be there and Demko couldn't attend while he was in college.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Gaudette can play in this tournament if he pays his own way, but because of NCAA rules he can't receive money from his pro club—it has nothing to do with his nationality.

Canucks had a college prospect do this within the last handful of years or so, but I can't recall who off the top of my head (maybe Schroeder?).

Also, Gaudette showed good progress for his draft position, but let's not get (way) too ahead of ourselves and call him a "hidden gem."

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

Baertchi? Horvat? Virtanen? Rodin? We still have prospects. Just because they are playing in the NHL, doesn't mean their prospect [pros-pekt]
noun
Usually, prospects.

an apparent probability of advancement, success
isn't still obvious. All of them will likely have a better year than they already have (maybe not Rodin, MVP of a league is pretty impressive). Including these players gets rid of the notion that JB created a new age gap too.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Markus Granlund
16GP 2G 1A ~ 0.2 Pts/GP

Brendan Gaunce
20GP 1G 0A ~ 0.05 Pts/GP

Let's take a closer look at the numbers...

Granlund:
Total time on ice: 246.05
Power play time: 22.02

Guance:
Total time on ice: 255.10
Power play time: 8.16

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Yes, Gaudette had a pretty impressive season as a rookie in the NCAA...and Will Lockwood is headed to Michigan, so can't play in this tournament either...I think it's fair to say that if those two guys and Boeser were in Penticton, they'd be three of the top forwards out there...so the cupboard's not completely bare.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
13 more minutes on the worst powerplay in the league is a negligible difference. That's less than 1 extra shift per game. :shakehead

I'm not the one that made the statement that one was 4 times more productive than the other. You're talking about awful numbers (for either player).

My "facts" are no more misleading than yours.:shakehead

Last edited:

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
I'm not the one that made the statement that one was 4 times more productive than the other. You're talking about awful numbers (for either player).

My "facts" are no more misleading than yours.:shakehead

"My" "facts" aren't misleading because they suggest Granlund is better than Gaunce which is the true reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad