Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Considering Boeser basically laughed at a reporter asking him if he'd stay the full four years it'd be safe to assume there's no chance of that happening.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
No it's not inaccurate. This team had the Sedins on the team last year. This team was the 3rd worst team in hockey. That's accurate. You can have an opinion, but I'll take facts over your opinion. In FACT: the team has two bottom 6 finishes in the past 3 seasons, WITH the Sedins. So no, your statement is inaccurate.

Yeah. They also had a top 8 finish between the two bottom finishes. More grey than the black and white you portray. Last year was a bit more of an anomaly with injuries. The year previous to the top 8 was Tortorella plus rife with key injurie.

Canucks are currently a bubble team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the prediction for Gaunce?....is this the year he finally sticks with the Canucks?..or is there too much competition for fourth line duty?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What's the prediction for Gaunce?....is this the year he finally sticks with the Canucks?..or is there too much competition for fourth line duty?

Not sure i guess will have to wait to see but will be interesting thats for sure

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Unless the Canucks make a move, I think he makes the team this year, simply because there aren't many others to play center.

Obviously the 1st 3 centers on the depth chart are Hank, Sutter and Horvat (in whatever order.) Then there are Granlund and Gaunce.

That makes only 5. It would be hard to imagine the Canucks going into the season with no backup center on the roster, so as of now it would have to be expected Gaunce makes the big team.

It seems obvious that Gaunce at this stage (pre-training camp) rates to be ahead of Cassels, Megna, Chaput, Laplante and Carcone on the system depth chart, though Megna or Chaput could push for a spot.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
One of our prospects that I'm highly interested in watching develop and is relatively speaking flying under the radar is Brisebois.

Any buzz about how he's doing with his new team???

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Unless the Canucks make a move, I think he makes the team this year, simply because there aren't many others to play center.

Obviously the 1st 3 centers on the depth chart are Hank, Sutter and Horvat (in whatever order.) Then there are Granlund and Gaunce.

That makes only 5. It would be hard to imagine the Canucks going into the season with no backup center on the roster, so as of now it would have to be expected Gaunce makes the big team.

It seems obvious that Gaunce at this stage (pre-training camp) rates to be ahead of Cassels, Megna, Chaput, Laplante and Carcone on the system depth chart, though Megna or Chaput could push for a spot.

"Megna or Chaput could push for a spot."

These 2 qualify as AHL vets. Vancouver is Megna's (26 yr-old) 3rd NHL franchise after Pitt and the Rangers. Chaput has been up and down (mostly down) with the Blue jackets and their AHL teams for 4 seasons. Both were let go. I think Jim would give Gaunce a shot first then start experimenting with others. However, I think all 3 will start the season in Utica. We'll see though.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
"Megna or Chaput could push for a spot."

These 2 qualify as AHL vets. Vancouver is Megna's (26 yr-old) 3rd NHL franchise after Pitt and the Rangers. Chaput has been up and down (mostly down) with the Blue jackets and their AHL teams for 4 seasons. Both were let go. I think Jim would give Gaunce a shot first then start experimenting with others. However, I think all 3 will start the season in Utica. We'll see though.

That sounds pretty consistent with me saying that obviously Gaunce rates to be ahead of them on the deplth chart.

btw, there was a suggestion on the Philip Larsen thread that it would be nice to have your input in a discussion that brought up Pedan.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That sounds pretty consistent with me saying that obviously Gaunce rates to be ahead of them on the deplth chart.

btw, there was a suggestion on the Philip Larsen thread that it would be nice to have your input in a discussion that brought up Pedan.

It's over there.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Too much competition in my view. He doesn't really stand a chance.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Too much competition in my view. He doesn't really stand a chance.
If he doesn't stand a chance of making one of the poorest teams in the NHL, as a 4th liner, 5 years after being drafted, he's not much of a prospect.

His play in training camp/preseason should make it impossible for management to send him back down.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
If he doesn't stand a chance of making one of the poorest teams in the NHL, as a 4th liner, 5 years after being drafted, he's not much of a prospect.

His play in training camp/preseason should make it impossible for management to send him back down.

Yeah unfortunately he hasn't shown much so far. He would have to absolutely blow people away I think. All things being equal I believe we'd go out and find a more veteran fourth line presence if we are simply trying to fill another center position. Otherwise Gaunce can go back to AHL without being claimed off waivers. I can't see them keeping him to park him in the pressbox.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Should of picked Pearson

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

And who do they ditch? They wont waive culture-carrier Dorsett nor newly acquired Granlund. They could waive Burrows but the optics of that would look terrible. Etem? Sure. But Gaunce is waiver-eligible. Gaunce is good enough for a bottom six role, but he's waiver eligible so others will likely get a longer look.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Gaunce quietly put together a good season last year in Utica, I think he'll be a Canuck this season. It may take an injury or two to get him here, but I think he'll play 50-60 games this year.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think Gaunce should be given every opportunity to make the club. If he plays himself off the team like Vey did last year then he isn't much of a prospect.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Waiver status sees Gaunce on the outside imo, but injuries will determine how much he plays... or maybe someone else crapping the bed in camp. I'm going to guess he's up for 1/2 the season, give or take.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Waiver status sees Gaunce on the outside imo, but injuries will determine how much he plays... or maybe someone else crapping the bed in camp. I'm going to guess he's up for 1/2 the season, give or take.

Personally I think Granlund need to be absolutely terribad to be waived. Etem and Dorsett I bet have their spots fairly locked up, at least to start the season. Realistically I think Gauce's chance to make the team will come midsession when we hit injuries or if one of those players is waived.

Gaunce shows good progression, doubled his production from his rookie year. If he keeps up a .8ppg+ next season he should be a good first callup.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I thought Gaunce played great last year in Vancouver despite not getting any points.

He's the type of player that will eventually put up points in the NHL just give him time. He can develop into a 15-15 type of 3rd liner. A real rock in the defensive zone. A key player to have.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

We may be one of the 'poorest teams in the NHL' but we have the most abundance in 3rd/4th line talent (where Gaunce is trying to compete for a spot with). Maybe there is a correlation there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad