Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Yup. Of the Canucks with >5GP last season, Gaunce has a team low 932 PDO including a on-ice (team) shooting percentage of 1.85 (these numbers are from behindthenet.ca). That's pretty much the definition of bad puck luck. He also posted the third best Corsi Rel (again among players with >5GP), behind only the twins, while having the 2nd worst Corsi Rel QoT (quality of teammates) on the team. Gaunce appears to have been doing a lot right based on those numbers (which fits with what I was seeing on the ice during his games).

Isn't the whole point of advanced stats to try to understand the deeper complexities involved in goals for and against? In other words, to eliminate the argument that he was just unlucky. :dunno:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Yup. Of the Canucks with >5GP last season, Gaunce has a team low 932 PDO including a on-ice (team) shooting percentage of 1.85 (these numbers are from behindthenet.ca). That's pretty much the definition of bad puck luck. He also posted the third best Corsi Rel (again among players with >5GP), behind only the twins, while having the 2nd worst Corsi Rel QoT (quality of teammates) on the team. Gaunce appears to have been doing a lot right based on those numbers (which fits with what I was seeing on the ice during his games).

Makes sense. I liked Gaunces game. I think he can be a better Sutter by 2017-18 if he gets his deserved 70+ games this year

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Im sure a lot of the Benning fanboys disagree as well, as usual

I'm the last guy you want to label a Benning fanboy.

Your description sounds exactly like Benning talking.

Carcone came into the tourney already signed to an ELC. He stood out with his hustle, but that won't earn him a spot on the roster at the expense of any of the guys already there, especially the toys Benning is banking on for Aquaman's attendance. Jake is a 20 yr-old 1st round pick starting his second pro season, fan favorite, and is expected by Benning to really make an impact this season.

Carcone is an undrafted, overage, Jr. free agent that Benning scooped up for the Comets/Alsaska. If his flash with the other kids shows any real promise among the men, he'll be in Utica's camp with a chance to be in the AHL and the rest will be up to him.

If you think anything better than that can happen, you live in a parallel universe to reality.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Makes sense. I liked Gaunces game. I think he can be a better Sutter by 2017-18 if he gets his deserved 70+ games this year

I would be entirely shocked by this if it ever happened...I would be ecstatic if he even got to the level of Sutter. I'm curious how bad you think Sutter is?

Actually I'm not.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, Bob Mackenzie's pre-season draft rankings are in, and doesn't appear to be much point in 'tanking' this year....unless Patrick were to land in their lap as the first overall pick, the rest of the top-10 looking pretty pedestrian....of course in every draft there's a few guys who take a big leap forward in their draft years, but from all reports there's no Matthews, Laine, Eichel or McDavid out there this year.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I mean, I don't know
Past Patrick is Comtois

And the top D in this draft class look promising to start the year
Liljegren would be amazing to have
Foote doesn't look bad, and Hague is huge

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Carcone works hard. He hussles. And he can shoot the puck real well. Virtanen can eat i will give him that :laugh:

Do you remember Sacha Guimond? One good prospect tourney does not make a good prospect. Carcone will be lucky to ever even make the NHL.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I'm the last guy you want to label a Benning fanboy.

Your description sounds exactly like Benning talking.

Carcone came into the tourney already signed to an ELC. He stood out with his hustle, but that won't earn him a spot on the roster at the expense of any of the guys already there, especially the toys Benning is banking on for Aquaman's attendance. Jake is a 20 yr-old 1st round pick starting his second pro season, fan favorite, and is expected by Benning to really make an impact this season.

Carcone is an undrafted, overage, Jr. free agent that Benning scooped up for the Comets/Alsaska. If his flash with the other kids shows any real promise among the men, he'll be in Utica's camp with a chance to be in the AHL and the rest will be up to him.

If you think anything better than that can happen, you live in a parallel universe to reality.

Yeah. Your probs right. Thats a pretty clear defeat of what i said i gotta say your right. Jake is a toy of the management theres NO WAY he does not make the team. And as someone else mentioned below your post that Carcone just had a good prospects tourney and maybe that wont translate. Hope he does well and makes Utica and becomes a fave. I dream of more but probs is just that i guess a dream. O well thanks tho

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Heh, nope, just those with an ounce of hockey knowledge.

Yeah i got it thanks. I know nothing sure why not. For what its worth I hope your right and Im wrong about Virtanen. And i will be the first to admit it

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Isn't the whole point of advanced stats to try to understand the deeper complexities involved in goals for and against? In other words, to eliminate the argument that he was just unlucky. :dunno:

Unless you believe that guys don't go through stretches where they're playing properly, but aren't putting up points, I don't understand how that could possibly be the purpose of advanced stats.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Unless you believe that guys don't go through stretches where they're playing properly, but aren't putting up points, I don't understand how that could possibly be the purpose of advanced stats.

Sure there are other factors that go in to players going through cold stretches - confidence (or lack of) probably being one of the biggest factors.
I just found it a little amusing that the poster was arguing that advanced stats showed he was unlucky...seems to be an inherent contradiction to me.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sure there are other factors that go in to players going through cold stretches - confidence (or lack of) probably being one of the biggest factors.
I just found it a little amusing that the poster was arguing that advanced stats showed he was unlucky...seems to be an inherent contradiction to me.

How so?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Being cold while doing everything right thing can have a lot of factors besides the player himself, which is basically what PDO measures. Having a terrible PDO while having great possession stats could mean that your linemates aren't finishing, you're facing hot goalies or any other number of things which we currently don't have a great way to measure. None of which boils down to luck or unluck.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Being cold while doing everything right thing can have a lot of factors besides the player himself, which is basically what PDO measures. Having a terrible PDO while having great possession stats could mean that your linemates aren't finishing, you're facing hot goalies or any other number of things which we currently don't have a great way to measure. None of which boils down to luck or unluck.

Yes. It wasn't about luck...

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yes. It wasn't about luck...

In hockey, "luck" usually boils down to the opposition making an unusually good play. Sometimes you do everything right, and you don't get the result. Sometimes that happens an unusual number of times in a row. That's kind of what Gaunce looks like last year.

Nov 1, 2011

Really what the advanced stats indicate is that Gaunce is a good hockey player, much better than his traditional stats suggest.

The luck explanation is just one way to justify why his advanced stats are better than his traditional stats.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
In hockey, "luck" usually boils down to the opposition making an unusually good play. Sometimes you do everything right, and you don't get the result. Sometimes that happens an unusual number of times in a row. That's kind of what Gaunce looks like last year.

Sure, there's no doubt that individual hockey success has a lot to do with things that are out of the individual's control - who they're playing with, playing against, how they're deployed etc. And yes, depending on these factors, you could do everything right and still not get the results.
I still say, all else considered, 1 pt in 20 games is an extremely weak number, even if all the circumstances out of his control were against him.
That said, I hope he can show in the preseason that he belongs. He, maybe more than any other player, has a chance to show he belongs but he needs to do something special to earn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad