Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"My" "facts" aren't misleading because they suggest Granlund is better than Gaunce which is the true reality.

Too bad we didn't trade Gaunce for Granlund then...

Here are the numbers for the guy we gave up to get Granlund:

Hunter Shinkaruk
7GP 2G 1A ~ 0.428 Pts/GP

Markus Granlund
16GP 2G 1A ~ 0.2 Pts/GP

Hey, Shink was two times more productive than Granlund!:sarcasm:

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Too bad we didn't trade Gaunce for Granlund then...

Here are the numbers for the guy we gave up to get Granlund:

Hunter Shinkaruk
7GP 2G 1A ~ 0.428 Pts/GP

Markus Granlund
16GP 2G 1A ~ 0.2 Pts/GP

Hey, Shink was two times more productive than Granlund!:sarcasm:

Uh. The comparison was because, Granlund and Gaunce are battling for the same roster spot on the Canucks.

Shinkaruk isn't one of our prospects anymore. He's got nothing to do with this discussion. Neither does the trade. It's irrelevant. But don't be sarcastic. Shinkaruk was twice as productive as Granlund. I would hope Shinkaruk would be more productive while playing with Gaudreau than Granlund would be playing with Etem.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Uh. The comparison was because, Granlund and Gaunce are battling for the same roster spot on the Canucks.
Granlund will probably be guaranteed a spot on the Canucks due to the waivers issue - it'll look incredibly bad optics for Benning to put him on waivers & then have a team claim him. There isn't that problem with Gaunce (as he doesn't have to clear waivers - unless I'm mistaken).

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Granlund will probably be guaranteed a spot on the Canucks due to the waivers issue - it'll look incredibly bad optics for Benning to put him on waivers & then have a team claim him. There isn't that problem with Gaunce (as he doesn't have to clear waivers - unless I'm mistaken).

Benning doesn't care about optics or else he wouldn't have waived Vey last season when McCann outplayed him at camp.

With this regime all players have a shot to make the team regardless of waiver situations.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Benning doesn't care about optics or else he wouldn't have waived Vey last season when McCann outplayed him at camp.

With this regime all players have a shot to make the team regardless of waiver situations.

Yeah... they aren't risking losing Granlund for nothing after trading for him at the deadline just last year.

they traded an improving former first round pick they had full control of for another 2 years for Granlund.

He is penned in. They'd be torn to pieces if he was waived and claimed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...Nichushkin just signed for two years in the KHL with CKSA Moscow.....what happened to all those posters claiming we'd made a mistake drafting Horvat instead of Nichushkin?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Feels like Gaunce should just make the team already. He's been one of our best, hardest-working, and most balanced preseason performers for what must be like three or four straight years now.

From what I can see, the inconsistencies and problem areas of his game haven't shown up whenever he's gotten a chance to make an impression, yet they repeatedly toss him aside for a shinier new toy in these situations. The year Horvat made the team, Gaunce performed just as well, same as the year Virtanen/McCann made the team. Seems pretty unfair.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Feels like Gaunce should just make the team already. He's been one of our best, hardest-working, and most balanced preseason performers for what must be like three or four straight years now.

From what I can see, the inconsistencies and problem areas of his game haven't shown up whenever he's gotten a chance to make an impression, yet they repeatedly toss him aside for a shinier new toy in these situations. The year Horvat made the team, Gaunce performed just as well, same as the year Virtanen/McCann made the team. Seems pretty unfair.

He played 20 games last year in the regular season and had one goal from a puck that bounced in off of him. He had 2 PIM in these 20 games. Not saying that Gaunce should be expected to be a scorer but 1 pt in 20 games is about as weak as you can get. And 2 PIM at least points to a lack of intensity. Even very clean players, if they`re playing hard enough, end up in the box more frequently than that.
Now I like Gaunce and I hope he makes the team as the 4C or less preferably the 4LW. But I think he still has a lot to prove at training camp and in the preseason.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He played 20 games last year in the regular season and had one goal from a puck that bounced in off of him. He had 2 PIM in these 20 games. Not saying that Gaunce should be expected to be a scorer but 1 pt in 20 games is about as weak as you can get. And 2 PIM at least points to a lack of intensity. Even very clean players, if they`re playing hard enough, end up in the box more frequently than that.
Now I like Gaunce and I hope he makes the team as the 4C or less preferably the 4LW. But I think he still has a lot to prove at training camp and in the preseason.

Hes head and heels over Wrong Granlund

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Bae Bo Hansen
Burr Sutter Rodine
Etem Gaunce Carcone

Xtras: Dorset W Granlund etc

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Bae Bo Hansen
Burr Sutter Rodine
Etem Gaunce Carcone

Ok, if he is head and heals over please explain why? I'm not a fan of either player but I don't see it this way.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Bae Bo Hansen
Burr Sutter Rodine
Etem Gaunce Carcone

I don't see your 4th line:

Etem/Granlund/Virtanen-Rodin (one of these two on the 3rd line)

Extra: Dorsett

Virtanen will be a Canuck if it comes down to him or Gaunce. That's a no brainer. Carcone and Gaunce in Utica.

If they keep 8 D as been the word, there is only space for 1 extra forward. It will be Dorsett.

Granlund plays to start because trading Shinkaruk for him and not even playing him makes Jimbo look even more like Dumbo to start the season. He said Granlund was more NHL ready. He's there, so he plays.

The guys in Utica will become the fillers when the first forward goes down and it becomes Benning's choice as to who that will be.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

20 games is still a pretty small sample size. From what I saw, he was unlucky to not have put up more points than he did and I would say that using PIMS to gauge intensity is misguided at best.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
You sir
Did not seriously think Carcone would make the team over Virtanen.....
Please tell me you were not 100% serious....

He is. Virtanen stole his girlfriend or something. Sadly though, it's Dorsett who might make the team over Virtanen.

I'm figuring something like...

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Bae-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Sutter-Rodin
Dorsett-Granlund-Etem

Gaunce and Virtanen are both guys that I'd like to see make the team, but they're going to have to have really good camps... insane camps, in fact... to bump the likes of Dorsett or Granlund. Salary concerns and waiver exempt-ness will probably take the day.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
You sir
Did not seriously think Carcone would make the team over Virtanen.....
Please tell me you were not 100% serious....

Carcone works hard. He hussles. And he can shoot the puck real well. Virtanen can eat i will give him that :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm noticing more and more that Mogilny to Bure seems to consistently have a more extreme and hyperbolic-sounding version of the opinion that I have. Being optimistic about Gaunce, skeptical of Virtanen's work ethic/hockey IQ, etc... Makes me second guess myself every time.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I know Jensen is no longer a Canuck property, but what did you guys think of him when he was here?

A few good tools, most of his tricks worked at the junior level and the SEL, but just haven't translated to the pro game in NA. Tends to disengage from games for long stretches.

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
20 games is still a pretty small sample size. From what I saw, he was unlucky to not have put up more points than he did and I would say that using PIMS to gauge intensity is misguided at best.

Yup. Of the Canucks with >5GP last season, Gaunce has a team low 932 PDO including a on-ice (team) shooting percentage of 1.85 (these numbers are from behindthenet.ca). That's pretty much the definition of bad puck luck. He also posted the third best Corsi Rel (again among players with >5GP), behind only the twins, while having the 2nd worst Corsi Rel QoT (quality of teammates) on the team. Gaunce appears to have been doing a lot right based on those numbers (which fits with what I was seeing on the ice during his games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad