Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes. It wasn't about luck...

Is luck testable? If I design an experiment will self described lucky people have the 'right' random number come up on the random number generator more than unlucky people? I seriously doubt that they will and thus 'luck' as you call it doesn't exist.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Is luck testable? If I design an experiment will self described lucky people have the 'right' random number come up on the random number generator more than unlucky people? I seriously doubt that they will and thus 'luck' as you call it doesn't exist.

Yes, I agree...The phrase 'luck' is just used as a lazy way to explain circumstances. There is an explanation to events if we are able to dig deep enough and if the n value is large enough to take care of randomness.
I think the point of the original post has been lost.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sure, there's no doubt that individual hockey success has a lot to do with things that are out of the individual's control - who they're playing with, playing against, how they're deployed etc. And yes, depending on these factors, you could do everything right and still not get the results.
I still say, all else considered, 1 pt in 20 games is an extremely weak number, even if all the circumstances out of his control were against him.
That said, I hope he can show in the preseason that he belongs. He, maybe more than any other player, has a chance to show he belongs but he needs to do something special to earn it.

That's the point, though. Guy put pucks to the net, and generally looks to have done the right things, but appears to have happened to be on the ice when the other team made the good play an unusual amount of times. It stands to reason that this will likely normalize over a longer stretch, and if he continues doing everything under his control as well as he had been, then the results should come.

The benefit of advanced stats isn't to determine that "luck" doesn't exist, as you're suggesting, but one of the things that deeper analysis can show is when a player's lack of results boils down to "luck" rather than bad play (and also the opposite).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad